General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

any plumbers out there or anyone in the know...

Search this Thread

Old 29-10-2007, 10:13 PM
b_kennedy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any plumbers out there or anyone in the know...

a real off topic question. (1) Our hot tap is completely dead. No water at all. (2) our toilet LOL. When u pull handle nothing happens. Bout 20 pulls later it flushes. Really skint at mo and could really do with fixing it myself. Any ideas
Old 29-10-2007, 10:28 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to check the tanks in the loft...sounds like ball cock jammed shut?
Old 29-10-2007, 10:36 PM
b_kennedy

thanks for your help mate. Where exactly would i find that in the tank?
Old 29-10-2007, 10:40 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should find water...

Im taking it that you have a hot water cylinder somewhere?

This should be fed from the big cold water storage tank in the loft, which will also feed your toilet.

Its hard to tell without knowing exactly what system you have but that is the most common.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:41 PM
SelbyRST
4x4 SAFF

Look at the tank, and the part thats got a float connected to it. Toilet will be the syphons nackerd.
Old 29-10-2007, 10:50 PM
rstdaz
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

if the big water tank in the loft is dry then the ball valve is stuck so just give it a push and it should fill up.if there is water in it then you have an air lock in your pipes.you can try to clear it by opening the hot tap and forcing cold mains water up through the tap using a hose this should clear it.i can go in to a bit more detail if this doesn't work.
Old 30-10-2007, 08:07 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if the toiler works that would mean he's got cold water in the system, which wuold point to he hot water tank being stuck in the closed position

does it gurgle or make a windy noise when you open the taps?

get into the loft and look for 2 tanks, one will be for the cold water and when yo uflush the bog or open the cold tap the water coming out of the tap will get replaced by the water going intot he storage tank
from this tank there should be anotehr tank that contains hot water for your central heating system
are the rads hot?
the most common thing is that there is no water in the hot water tank which in turn heats the water for the radiator system, so if you have cold radiatos this is probaly why

failing that, it may be a blockage in the hot water storage tank which is stopping the water from going through, this is probably a job for the experts to be honest as there are a lot of pipes that may need checking, and depending on what sort of materials the pipes are made of this made be the reason they are blocking up

we had a mixture of led, steel and copper piping in our house before we ripped them all up and replaced them with copper all the way through, and some of the pipes had been there since 1929 and from a 22mm/3/4 inch size pipe you had possibly 3 or 4 mm worth of hole for the water to flow through

easiest thing to do is turn the ehating on and the hot water system on and then find the pipes and feel where they are hot and cold, at least it's a start

Trending Topics

Old 30-10-2007, 08:24 PM
b_kennedy

Thanks for all the help guys. Gonna get up in the loft tomorrow morning and have a look. All the radiators and hot taps are fine apart from the basin in the toilet. For about a week we started losing pressure there but Thanks guys
Old 30-10-2007, 08:51 PM
SelbyRST
4x4 SAFF

Could try getting a wet hoover on the hot tap that isnt working and try suck the water through, iv done it at work before.
Old 30-10-2007, 08:51 PM
rigwrecker
Advanced PassionFord User

lazy fecker all your help and he will have a look tomorow another tip on removing an air lock in your hot water if u have a mixer tap in kitchen hold your hand on the spout and use your other hand to work taps its easyer than using a hose between the two taps elsewhere