General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Retro fit HID headlamp legalities

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Retro fit HID headlamp legalities

My understanding was that for HID headlamps to be used legally they must be self levelling and have washers. Somebody has raised a doubt on this.

Does anybody know for sure the legislation on these? I know all the aftermarket kits are sold as "Not intended for road use".

CheeRS in advance
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 AM
kjc300
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know mine "shouldn't" pass an mot!! no beam pattern as such - just a bright blob!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Found what I needed. Good old Google

Originally Posted by Department For Transport

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:13 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

and? they're better so i will continue to use them. are you not going to use them because of that? how many other things do people modify their cars with that do not conform to proper standards?

having said that, they do not necessarily give off the correct pattern. the one on my firestorm looks excellent on dip, but on main the pattern looks to go completely wrong, although i have not yet ridden with it in the dark
Old 12-10-2007, 12:15 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

they should pass an MOT, just so long as they can pick up a beam pattern. only factory fit xenons need to have the self levelling kit and the washers, if neither of these work, then it will fail.

Having said that, my kit which i bought from www.hids4u.co.uk FAILED the MOT, as there was no beam pattern.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:10 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you can put gaffer tape on the lens to make the beam pattern correct for the MOT
Old 12-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

or do a proper conversion and not a bolt in bulb kit

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

from what i understand they need to have glass lenses rather than plastic ones
Old 12-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Northwester
Awesome Member

work better if you have projector style lenses.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine past the MOT not so long back with no problems at all

As Nick says they are better than the standard items so i'm going to continue using them!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Northwester
work better if you have projector style lenses.
exactly
Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I shall repeat the last line of text from the DFT site

]In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

BUT - IF there is a beam pattern, they WILL pass an mot
Old 12-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Still don't make it legal. Look at tyres the MOT tests it one way the law pass it another
Old 12-10-2007, 05:16 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

oh yes, i know they are illegal, but you get what i am trying to say
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Yeah.

You scallywag
Old 13-10-2007, 06:51 PM
rickslack
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Had some from hids4u on my landrover for ages. Very bright. H4 with high and low beam. passed mot no probs. If the beam pattern is correct it will pass an mot. the only time you may get in trouble is if it is inspected by VOSA as it contravenes construction and use regs even though mine are 'e' marked. but you would have to be very unlucky. Just make sure you buy ones which are a legal colour as they get bluer as they get brighter!