General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Torque of the Devil RR Day - 6th Oct

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fiecos Dan
Originally Posted by rapidcossie
So what changes when a car goes from rollers onto the road?

More air?

Alot more air, with different loading, so different parts of the map will be getting used, so could turn fatal to the engine if not checked.
Different loading?

in what way?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, so I am being a little bit of an arse, but I am just trying to establish for sure that what I suspect is true. Which is that for mapping AFR on the road, providing you can carry out full RPM range runs, with enough time spent, you can achieve good results on the road. However, ignition timing is another thing and the only way this can be set is by the traditional method of mapping to det, then backing off a little.

That said, without sounding like we are cheating and overcharging for what we do, we can actually write a full and VERY comprehensive custom fuel map in half-a-day, with every load site visited that the car will ever hit and even load the car up in such a way that we can visit the (High RPM/Low Load and Low RPM/High Load) sites that may never be covered on the road.

I'm finding this discussion interesting and informative.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More air?

Alot more air, with different loading, so different parts of the map will be getting used, so could turn fatal to the engine if not checked.
Different loading?

in what way?

I under stand AVA, and DD's can be loaded fully @ set RPM's for periods,

But not many other RR's can do that.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Incidentally, we can det check on the RR too.

We simply carry out a 4th gear pull from low RPM with a slow ramp rate.

If it doesn't det then, it not likely to det.
Is this how you check your own car for the runway?
Yes, thats the most it will get. After that I would happily give it full whack for 2 miles on a Runway. If the weather was particularly hot on the day, I would tread cautiously as I think anyone that knows tuned engines would. I am perhaps more sympathetic to my RST than most people are to their cars.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

More air?

Different loading?

in what way?
My car is put under more load on ther rollrs than it ses on the road so its effectivley checked at all points.

My car was held at full boost, full throttle @8 thousand revs for 10 seconds last week to propely check the map and to get true power figs at true temperatures. I dont know any other RR that does that?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

More air?

Different loading?

in what way?

Looking at a map as, for example, a 20x20 table, of RPM vs Load, we can use the retarder built into the Dyno to control the horizontal (RPM) axis, and control the vertical (LOAD) axis using the throttle. In this way we can visit EVERY single load site that it is possible to visit. Not only that, we can hold in the absolute centre of that site for as long as is needed (or is safe). If we feel that the car is starting to be pushed towards getting hot, we can back off, let it cool, then find our way back to where we left off with no agro.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Incidentally, we can det check on the RR too.

We simply carry out a 4th gear pull from low RPM with a slow ramp rate.

If it doesn't det then, it not likely to det.
Is this how you check your own car for the runway?
Yes, thats the most it will get. After that I would happily give it full whack for 2 miles on a Runway. If the weather was particularly hot on the day, I would tread cautiously as I think anyone that knows tuned engines would. I am perhaps more sympathetic to my RST than most people are to their cars.
What do you think would happen if held flat on a hot day?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OK, so I am being a little bit of an arse, but I am just trying to establish for sure that what I suspect is true. Which is that for mapping AFR on the road, providing you can carry out full RPM range runs, with enough time spent, you can achieve good results on the road. However, ignition timing is another thing and the only way this can be set is by the traditional method of mapping to det, then backing off a little.

That said, without sounding like we are cheating and overcharging for what we do, we can actually write a full and VERY comprehensive custom fuel map in half-a-day, with every load site visited that the car will ever hit and even load the car up in such a way that we can visit the (High RPM/Low Load and Low RPM/High Load) sites that may never be covered on the road.

I'm finding this discussion interesting and informative.

thats the way i map ign side of things on the road,
but i have had
Cossie engine in a cell,
and my XR2 on a DD rolling road,
and have tested different ign timing for best results for my setups.

i agree,

idealy, i would prefer a engine run up, tested in a cell,
Then checked/trimmed in car on a proper RR like a DD,
then on the road on a top speeds back to back.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Euan, my only argument against the AVA way of doing things is wondering if their method is overly hard on the car. Holding a car at a given Load/RPM point to monitor all the conditions is fantastic and, I agree, highly accurate, but the car is never likely to undergo those kinds of conditions on the road, so why put it through it on the Dyno?

Surely a slowed acceleration run is adequate?

Not trying to dig at AVA. I know Alan has invested alot of time/knowledge etc into his Dyno. Again, genuinely interested.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Euan, my only argument against the AVA way of doing things is wondering if their method is overly hard on the car. Holding a car at a given Load/RPM point to monitor all the conditions is fantastic and, I agree, highly accurate, but the car is never likely to undergo those kinds of conditions on the road, so why put it through it on the Dyno?

Surely a slowed acceleration run is adequate?

Not trying to dig at AVA. I know Alan has invested alot of time/knowledge etc into his Dyno. Again, genuinely interested.
Suppose it is quite hard on the car and mines is really the only one that gets tested like this(most others are 3 secs i think) but the way I see it is that if it can last on the rollers and hold AFR's, ACTS with no det on the rollers then it can take anything I can do on the road or runway.

to be fair I dont think mine would get this testing if it wasnt used for high speed/high load stuff.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My car was held at full boost, full throttle @8 thousand revs for 10 seconds last week to propely check the map and to get true power figs at true temperatures. I dont know any other RR that does that?

i also hold my cars @ full boost, and RPM's in 3rd to top gear on the road, but using brakes.
But not as long as 10 seconds, and not on a RR, where tha cooling isn't the same as on the road.

Also i see it pointless on a RR, when not checked/trimmed a top speed run, as different load site, and temps will/might be seen, so its fueling and ign will not be adequate.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

More air?
Your location
Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just spent the last hour reading this, and certain comments I feel SHOULD be qualified by the people making them (Rod's for example ). There is no way that Mark would build a high power engine, and then go straight to the road and map it from scratch, IF he had a choice of being able to put it on an engine dyno first .

I AGREE that checking a car on the road is a wise thing to do, just to make sure everything is all okay in it's mormal environment (often no changes are actually required). HOWEVER, in my mind, it has to be properly mapped and HELD at certain loads sites for the correct ignition to be mapped. This can ONLY be done, repeated and checked for improvements on a chassis or engine dyno. Otherwise, how the fuck do you know if any mods you have done have actually gained or lost you power?

Also it needs highlighting again (for the benefit of Dingy and Paul Ripley ) that the engine dyno figures are a GROSS figure, without the ancilliaries on, so if a rolling road EVER gives a calculated flywheel figure that matches the engine dyno figure, it is BULLSHIT, as you would expect to loose 20-25bhp when put in the car due to all the ancilliaries (water pump, alternator, power-steering etc) sapping a certain amount of power.

It seems to me that all the cars mapped in a MEASURABLE way, performed better on the rolling road than those that were mapped by "seat of the pants feel" only. So in my opinion, the moral of this story is to map on a dyno of some description, THEN check on road (and mod where necessary). Mapping on the road alone doesn't produce the results people hope for it would seem.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

But I'm still intrigued, someone educate me. How do you map the ignition curve on the road? Serious question?

There is only one method I can think of, perhaps I am being ignorant, and that is to advance to the point of det, then back off slightly.

Come on, enlighten me.
With det cans... then you back off...

Its not ideal as you say.

But then again there is an awful lot of exisiting maps you can start with, and the more experienced you are with one make the more maps you will have to refer to.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:18 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Also, the acceleration characteristics can be different on the road, but then the processing speeds of your ECU may be an issue before worrying about that.
An ECU such as a MegaSquirt is a 16Mhz processor...

That can process about 3 million instructions per second!!!!

I think you'll find an ECU can keep up with the demands an engine places on it!

Mike,

I said that a few pages back

Alex
Old 10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by G1EN
Bit of a late reply to the thread.

But had a wicked day, despite learning that my car has more that 2 diffs and that the 3rd one being the viscous diff in the Box was Fook'd.
Oh well, thats cossies for you, It made it on the rollers for a few seconds anyway....

There were some tasty motors there and some animals too.

Well done TOTD for a good day and well done Radders for Organising it.

I will have my new Box in ready for the next one....
i popped out to answer the phone, came abck and your car was already outside again

and there was me thinking he's sped up the proccess until matt said that the diff was fooked

it's a diy job if you want to get your hands dirty, don't even have to take the box out
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
dojj

one more thing

out on the road in "the real world" you also have the effects of the air risistance to contend with, so you aren't going to be in a stationary car spinning it's wheels against nothing but the car will also pull a fair bit of weight behind it to pull aslong as well

you may be able to simulate these conditions on the rollers but you can't simulate wind resistance can you
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
I've just spent the last hour reading this, and certain comments I feel SHOULD be qualified by the people making them (Rod's for example ). There is no way that Mark would build a high power engine, and then go straight to the road and map it from scratch, IF he had a choice of being able to put it on an engine dyno first .

Also it needs highlighting again (for the benefit of Dingy and Paul Ripley ) that the engine dyno figures are a GROSS figure, without the ancilliaries on, so if a rolling road EVER gives a calculated flywheel figure that matches the engine dyno figure, it is BULLSHIT, as you would expect to loose 20-25bhp when put in the car due to all the ancilliaries (water pump, alternator, power-steering etc) sapping a certain amount of power.
Surely all big bhp cars are put on a engine Dyno first, i took that as read.
My car is checked on the day before every Topspeed run & sometimes more than once on & off the Nitrous.
Mike what ancilliaries dont I run on the Dyno I can only think of Power steering & I remove the belt for Topspeed runs anyway. .
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by MadRod

Surely all big bhp cars are put on a engine Dyno first, i took that as read.
My car is checked on the day before every Topspeed run & sometimes more than once on & off the Nitrous.
Mike what ancilliaries dont I run on the Dyno I can only think of Power steering & I remove the belt for Topspeed runs anyway. .
Yes, but you didn't mention that . It sounded as though you advocated just on-road mapping .

I didn't realise you plumbed up your alternator and water pump to the engine on the dyno (I never noticed them in the pictures) ? I never also realised you took the power steering belt off . I can remember when mine broke at the first ever top-speed run I did and Harvey insisted he replaced it, as he wanted me to have as much control as possible if anything went wrong .
Old 10-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by Karl
Christian, I agree it is not a job I take lightly. It requires skill and nerves, but as with all things it gets easier with time and experience.

Rapid cossie, you are playing my words. By cannot I mean you CANNOT simulate the correct conditions which is potentially dangerous. Obviously you can map any car on a RR physically. (i.e by cannot i mean "cannot correctly" not "cannot physically")

Another good example is how many cars do you see being tested live at brunters during top speed runs....................errr most of them. Why would we do this if we were confident with our RR map?
Im not trying to be awkward Karl sorry mate.

My car was not tested on the run way, as we were confident in how it was set up.

we were not measuring afrs when it ran at woodbridge or listening for det.
Then how do you know if your car had slight det because you cant hear it,or you may have been running mega safe & losing Power.
I agreed with Dingy yesterday & Karl today WTF . Mine is tested before & during each run & Mark does make slight changes. Euan you may be losing Power because of your insistance that your car is perfectly mapped on the R-R which be assured it aint, may be close but Topspeed runs are all about Optimising your car for the run about to take place not on a R-R done days maybe weeks before. Maybe just maybe Mark & myself have more Knowledge in this area than most.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Christian, I agree it is not a job I take lightly. It requires skill and nerves, but as with all things it gets easier with time and experience.

Rapid cossie, you are playing my words. By cannot I mean you CANNOT simulate the correct conditions which is potentially dangerous. Obviously you can map any car on a RR physically. (i.e by cannot i mean "cannot correctly" not "cannot physically")

Another good example is how many cars do you see being tested live at brunters during top speed runs....................errr most of them. Why would we do this if we were confident with our RR map?

My car was not tested on the run way, as we were confident in how it was set up.

Then how do you know if your car had slight det because you cant hear it,or you may have been running mega safe & losing Power.
I agreed with Dingy yesterday & Karl today WTF . Mine is tested before & during each run & Mark does make slight changes. Euan you may be losing Power because of your insistance that your car is perfectly mapped on the R-R which be assured it aint, may be close but Topspeed runs are all about Optimising your car for the run about to take place not on a R-R done days maybe weeks before. Maybe just maybe Mark & myself have more Knowledge in this area than most.
Given your comments above, you have to admit Euan did pretty good on his one and only ever top speed run so far .

Christian seems to have done okay too .
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dojj

you may be able to simulate these conditions on the rollers but you can't simulate wind resistance can you
Wind resistance makes the car harder to push.

you push using the engine via the wheels....

a rolling road places a load on the wheels....

Hence you can simulate the effect wind resistance has at the wheels.

Alex
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Given your comments above, you have to admit Euan did pretty good on his one and only ever top speed run so far .

Christian seems to have done okay too .
Agree but running safely at Brunters & optimising the car are two different things . . My old banger with less than 500bhp ran over 183 years back
these later cars should be mincing 185 easy. Ades did 185.5 with 520bhp.
Dont these facts go in, seems not.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

what the hell is this?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/AlexF2...73682504278162

is it a nissan with a ferarri look-a-like kit?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by AlexF

Wind resistance makes the car harder to push.

you push using the engine via the wheels....

a rolling road places a load on the wheels....

Hence you can simulate the effect wind resistance has at the wheels.

Alex
but you know more than me about this car business so i'll let you have that one
Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
G1EN
Advanced PassionFord User

Bit of a late reply to the thread.

But had a wicked day, despite learning that my car has more that 2 diffs and that the 3rd one being the viscous diff in the Box was Fook'd.
Oh well, thats cossies for you, It made it on the rollers for a few seconds anyway....

There were some tasty motors there and some animals too.

Well done TOTD for a good day and well done Radders for Organising it.

I will have my new Box in ready for the next one....
i popped out to answer the phone, came abck and your car was already outside again

and there was me thinking he's sped up the proccess until matt said that the diff was fooked

it's a diy job if you want to get your hands dirty, don't even have to take the box out
Tell me about it, was quite looking forward to seeing it in the Mag Feature.

But i would dare touch my car, would only have myself to blame if it went wrong and double the cost.
Im not a car mechanic, so would attempt to be honest, I'll leave it to the professionals.

I fancy a new bOX, So fook it. Prob easy to just change the box, than strip it.

If its in the Box then how would you not have to take the Box out?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

How is ignition mapped on the road? Quite simply to be honest if you have the right data logging stuff.

You simply do repeated rpm pulls in a chosen gear, when there is no or little wind. You then look at the plot, and alter ignition timing and see which way it pushes acceleration, hence power. I've written a little equation that displays the results as a power curve. The absolute figure is lower than the real as it doesn't take into account mechanical and aero losses, but it's 100% repeatable, and relative figures are all we are interested in. It is without question, time permitting, the best way of doing it. I've no net at home at the moment, otherwise i'd post some examples of the method in practice.

Rick.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:52 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

surely you have the water pump fitted regardless off whether its on a dyno or in a a vehicle??
Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 PM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by gingeRS
surely you have the water pump fitted regardless off whether its on a dyno or in a a vehicle??

the engine dyno will have a water setup
Old 10-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

The one thing that I can't get my head round, is if mapping entirely on the road is so good, why is it that the cars that were ONLY done in this way, did not perform on the rollers?

Rod,
I honestly believe that with optimised gearing and favourable weather conditions that 187mph is achievable in a Sapphire with 520bhp. It's just trying to get it to all come together on the same day .
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike Rainbird

Probably because they ran too rich!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Rick
Mike Rainbird

Probably because they ran too rich!
Surely the AFRs would reflect this?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
Originally Posted by gingeRS

the engine dyno will have a water setup
dont the engine dyno's mimic a normal rad, thermostat setup, ours do?

i didnt know that
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Lloyd
escort mk4 cossy 4x4

The one thing that I can't get my head round, is if mapping entirely on the road is so good, why is it that the cars that were ONLY done in this way, did not perform on the rollers?

Rod,
I honestly believe that with optimised gearing and favourable weather conditions that 187mph is achievable in a Sapphire with 520bhp. It's just trying to get it to all come together on the same day .
it was only the rwd cars that got lower than expected figures,my 4x4 was as expected,and has never been mapped on a dyno?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by lloyd

Rod,
it was only the rwd cars that got lower than expected figures,my 4x4 was as expected,and has never been mapped on a dyno?
I thought the fwd cars suffered as well?

What did you get, as I haven't seen any figures posted for you?

Boost / bhp / torque / AFR?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

lloyd made 498 bhp 460 torque
Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by kitchy
lloyd made 498 bhp 460 torque
At what boost / AFR?

Also, what is the spec of the engine?

VERY good power .

Also, isn't Lloyd running Martin's Skyline conversion? What was the centre diff controller set to?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

no idea what boost or AFR but he wasnt running his nos, no idea on the spec of the engine and i dunno if he is running a skyline conversion,

i do know that he promised me a passenger ride in it tho which should be fun
Old 10-10-2007, 02:03 PM
dojj

If its in the Box then how would you not have to take the Box out?

it's in the end of the box
you can remove the rear prop and pull the rear case off the back, swap the bits you need to swap and then bolt it back together again

the only things you would need to do are watch out for teh bearings and undo the little metal plate that holds it all together (4 bolts) once the cover is off
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Dingy
PassionFord Post Troll

My Car makes peak power @ 7800rpm..

How come on the DD graph this is at less than 7000 ?

Quick Reply: Torque of the Devil RR Day - 6th Oct