General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Should they strike?
Are you sympathetic - always strike for your rights
32.67%
Are you unsympathetic - get back to work, stop this stupidity
62.38%
Not thought about it
4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Postal Strike

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:38 PM
mk1_orion_boy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said all the posties
I post letters too
Been on the picket line today and yesterday and 99% was supportive. I love the people who drive past and look at you as if to say get back to fucking work
You got the odd saddo moaning that their giro will be late now.
People really don't have a clue...you think we come in and pick up all our mail in bags all pre sorted and packed etc, go out for a slow walk then go home. I'd love to see how you'd cope on a busyish day, you'd go red, confused probably wanna cry and go sick with stress! It aint as qushty as you think.
If you wanna see lazy bastards then go to a mail centre, not a post office!
The office I work in has around 80 people and I can honestly say not one person there would open a letter and take money from it. I don't know why everone thinks that.
The job has its perks, ladies opening their doors in their undies
But seriously how would you feel about delivering a letter with a different company (TNT DHL etc) pretending they've delivered it? It just seems rotten to me. Why on earth Royal Mail said yes well do that for you...talk about shooting yourselves in the foot!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by RETRO_AL
Originally Posted by Rich_w
...,i like my job so im going to fight for it,and its got nothing to do with being LAZY because i am not lazy...
You like your job how it was. Not how it NEEDS to be. (i.e. Modernized so that you can still have a job in 3 years.)

Like I say typical union mentality. "Fuck the managers, Im not giving them 1 second more than what they pay me. Why should I have to put myself out?"

Every once in a while we are asked to do something we don't want to. Its called sacrifice. And seemingly you lot don't understand that. But I can guarantee 1 thing. You are shooting yourselves in the foot. And in 3 years you will ALL be out of a job! Just like the Miners and Just like the Rover workers! No one said life was fair. But you have to pick the battles that are WORTH winning.

EDIT

Why do you think Amazon.co.uk doesnt use RM anymore?
So if your boss said to you,i only want you to come in for 2 hours today but i will need you in for 14 hours the next day,would you be happy to do that?and would you be happy to do that for the rest of your working life?
what would you say if he said sorry im scraping your pension, i will set another up for you but less money will be paid into it?
Thats what the job is going to become in order to be competitive, if you dont like that then get another job, what you cant do though is force the job to stay the same as it is currently just cause it suits you and then moan when the company you work for goes bankrupt and you lose your job and your pension etc.
If the mangers managed a bit better maybe things would be better,i mean what about when they changed the name to consignia its cost millions then they changed it back within months
mangers getting millions in bonus for doing fuck all
None of us are happy and we wont just walk out and get another job without a fight,maybe its a waste of time maybe not,time will tell
If all this does come in to force then i will be leaving so will many others,then we will see what sort of service the public will get
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The managers ARE doing their job with all these changes you dont want
Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can we just get a few things straight please...

Someone asked - RichW I think why we deliver at a Loss? I have already tried to explain this

I'm sorry but it’s very very nieve, to think any other company would do a better job. The mail that comes thru your door is delivered at a loss, and for that single reason 80% of all UK mail will always be delivered by Royal mail, the problem is that eventually 50% of the mail will be collected from large users by a third party, ie:TNT (dutch national carrier) Dutchepost (german national carrier) and lots of smaller companies such as UK mail, they can collect the mail from the large users and they can undercut royal mail, they can then take the mail to a royal mail sorting office and we have to deliver it (at a loss) there is NO profit what so ever in delivering the mail, especially the mail you and I send thru the post. All the "competition" do is the middle bit you dont see... You may find in Large Cities the competition may deliver business post due to the logistics (the other 20%), but normal everyday mail? I'm affraid your stuck with royal mail, and as long as the government allow the unfair "competition" the service will deteriate, until eventually the only people employed by Royal mail will be Immigrants etc, that dont give a fuk about the wage, conditions etc or indeed the job
I think that explains it, but if you want me to disect that further i'm quite happy too...

Again RichW asked why TNT now have the Amazon Contract? I reality they only collect it, we STILL delliver it!!!

Just to try to explain it, basically the UK is dictated to by Europe, they say the Royal mail can't have a monopoly, ok fair play, make royal mail a NON PUBLIC company let them do as they please and let them fight on a level playing feild with the competition... Only thats not what Happens, UK Government, set up Postcom, they say that the mail system has to be de regulised and other companies are now allowed to collect and deliver mail, only they can charge what they like, royal mail however are not allowed too, they have to charge what Postcom dictate, so when TNT for instance go to Amazon and say we will do you a deal at "X" amount for a service, that company says, "ok thats cheaper than Royal mail" you have the contract, but the TNT are allowed under the postcom regulations to take the mail to Royal mail, and we have to deliver it for the price that Postcom says we have to, so in effect we ARE delivering the TNT mail for LESS than cost...

On the continent however, there governments have not allowed this to happen, so the national post carriers of there respective countries, they still have a monopoly...

They are allowed to dictate the price to us over here and they dictate the price over here.

As I think almost every posty has said it's NOT about the money, we all accept that things have to change, but it's they way the company is making the changes, that are the problem, the staff is being railroaded, they have been trod further and further into the shit until it's got too a point where they are saying enough is enough.

I sympathise with people who are mad that the posies are striking, but surley to a degree you are contadicting yourselves by slagging us off, and then saying you want your mail... WE WANT to deliver your mail, WE WANT to have it to you before you go to work, but it's the MANAGEMENT that say we cant.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by GTechR
Can we just get a few things straight please...

Someone asked - RichW I think why we deliver at a Loss? I have already tried to explain this

I'm sorry but it’s very very nieve, to think any other company would do a better job. The mail that comes thru your door is delivered at a loss, and for that single reason 80% of all UK mail will always be delivered by Royal mail, the problem is that eventually 50% of the mail will be collected from large users by a third party, ie:TNT (dutch national carrier) Dutchepost (german national carrier) and lots of smaller companies such as UK mail, they can collect the mail from the large users and they can undercut royal mail, they can then take the mail to a royal mail sorting office and we have to deliver it (at a loss) there is NO profit what so ever in delivering the mail, especially the mail you and I send thru the post. All the "competition" do is the middle bit you dont see... You may find in Large Cities the competition may deliver business post due to the logistics (the other 20%), but normal everyday mail? I'm affraid your stuck with royal mail, and as long as the government allow the unfair "competition" the service will deteriate, until eventually the only people employed by Royal mail will be Immigrants etc, that dont give a fuk about the wage, conditions etc or indeed the job
I think that explains it, but if you want me to disect that further i'm quite happy too...

Again RichW asked why TNT now have the Amazon Contract? I reality they only collect it, we STILL delliver it!!!

Just to try to explain it, basically the UK is dictated to by Europe, they say the Royal mail can't have a monopoly, ok fair play, make royal mail a NON PUBLIC company let them do as they please and let them fight on a level playing feild with the competition... Only thats not what Happens, UK Government, set up Postcom, they say that the mail system has to be de regulised and other companies are now allowed to collect and deliver mail, only they can charge what they like, royal mail however are not allowed too, they have to charge what Postcom dictate, so when TNT for instance go to Amazon and say we will do you a deal at "X" amount for a service, that company says, "ok thats cheaper than Royal mail" you have the contract, but the TNT are allowed under the postcom regulations to take the mail to Royal mail, and we have to deliver it for the price that Postcom says we have to, so in effect we ARE delivering the TNT mail for LESS than cost...

On the continent however, there governments have not allowed this to happen, so the national post carriers of there respective countries, they still have a monopoly...

They are allowed to dictate the price to us over here and they dictate the price over here.

As I think almost every posty has said it's NOT about the money, we all accept that things have to change, but it's they way the company is making the changes, that are the problem, the staff is being railroaded, they have been trod further and further into the shit until it's got too a point where they are saying enough is enough.

I sympathise with people who are mad that the posies are striking, but surley to a degree you are contadicting yourselves by slagging us off, and then saying you want your mail... WE WANT to deliver your mail, WE WANT to have it to you before you go to work, but it's the MANAGEMENT that say we cant.

Royal mail need to have cost effective staffing in order to compete in the sectors of the market that ARE profittable that you are moaning about other companies taking off you though

On one hand you are moaning that the other companies are making money out of certain sectors of the market that you are squeezed out of and yet you wont let the management make changes so they can compete in those sectors?

I dont understand your logic at all there its such a contradiction!
(but at least you put forward a structured argument so fair play for that rather than just stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum like retro al )
Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"that rather than just stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum like retro al"

I aint stomping my feet,they are resting nicely
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip the problem is tho mate the changes they are making are NOt to try and compete with the competition but rather "Pull there belts in"

I honestly can see the predicament the management have, but rather than use excusses like the lorries are not allowed to travel over 56mph now, so your mail is going to be late getting to you, (honestly thats an excuse they have given us) they should be saying to the government, Let us act as a private company, unshakle us, let us work on an even playing field...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Chip

"that rather than just stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum like retro al"

I aint stomping my feet,they are resting nicely

Thats cause you arent working at the moment you lazy cunt
Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by GTechR
Chip the problem is tho mate the changes they are making are NOt to try and compete with the competition but rather "Pull there belts in"

I honestly can see the predicament the management have, but rather than use excusses like the lorries are not allowed to travel over 56mph now, so your mail is going to be late getting to you, (honestly thats an excuse they have given us) they should be saying to the government, Let us act as a private company, unshakle us, let us work on an even playing field...

For the government to listen to them though they must FIRST do the whole "tighten the belt" thing and be in a position where the government can take them seriously.

At the moment the government can just point back at the massive amount of money it sounds like they are wasting on staff being paid to work hours they dont need to etc and say "thats why its not working, its your end the problem lies"

For the management to be taken seriously they have to act seriously.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

another for instance for you...

As has been said, they have come up with a plan, which is basically on a day to day basis they will tell us that we may or may not be needed the next day, this is because the mail is lighter on some days than others, and yet a certain percentage of that mail is what is called mailsort which is allowed to be delivered over a 3 day period, but rather than filter that mail thru on a 'light' day, almost without exception they wait till the third day and then pile it all in. it doesn't take a genious to work out how that could be made more competative and cost effective.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
For the government to listen to them though they must FIRST do the whole "tighten the belt" thing and be in a position where the government can take them seriously.

At the moment the government can just point back at the massive amount of money it sounds like they are wasting on staff being paid to work hours they dont need to etc and say "thats why its not working, its your end the problem lies"

For the management to be taken seriously they have to act seriously.
That's a very fair point... BUT this isn't something that has crept up on the 'management' over night, they knew it was coming years in advance of it happening, and rather than pre-empt it with implimenting change gradualy over a period of time, they are now tring to close the gate after the horse has bolted, and bring thru a whole host of ludicrus changes that to be fair no one would accept in any other job...

Ok you say leave... but what would happen if there WAS a mass exedus of staff? Which I can see happening!! You seem like an inteligent guy, surely you dont believe we turn up in the morning with our bags packed for us and we take a casual stroll thru the streets for a couple of hours. You get to work and there are hundreds and hundreds of boxes full of mail, this requires breaking first into area zones, and then again into rounds and then again into walks... you may have on average a couple of thousand letters to 'sort' before you actually get on the street. If you pay peanuts you get monkies, ok it's not rocket science, but then again it's NOT a job everyone can do.

There has to be give and take on both sides, but to implement that, the posties have to strike to enable them to have the tools to negotiate, if they dont strike, then they will be forced into a corner... And then the Postal system as we know it WILL be Totally fucked.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_w
Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
.... Least they fought for what they beleived in.
Yup. They did.

Low Hours more pay. Shame they never really saw the bigger picture. That Unions only ever make the Unions wealthier. Then ultimately like the British Car Industry 99% get fucked over by their own stupidity.
Low hours more pay??? Wheres that bit come from? They fought to keep their workplaces open Fook all to do with hours or pay....