General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Subaru Fault, oil pressure take off ?

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2007, 09:12 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Subaru Fault, oil pressure take off ?

A few weeks ago I posted a problem I was having with a Subaru Forester.

It appeared that the lambda wasn't working as it should so I replaced this but sadly it made no difference whatsoever.

Basically in the morning (when the engine is dead cold) you will start the car and drive off, first thing you will notice is that it is flat as a pancake, within a mile when you stop at a junction the car will stall.

When you try to start it back up it will crank over like it has little compression, eventually it will start but depending if you stop within another mile or so it will cut out and do the same thing again. Once its warm it seems to have its power back and it stops cutting out.

After speaking to a Audi technician he mentioned a similar problem they had with a A6 once, it turned out that the oil pump was creating too much pressure in the morning, it would keep the valves slightly open and thus obviously give symptons of no compression, I assume by causing issues with the variable valve timing or similar.

Now I don't honestly know a huge amount on the Subaru engines but I need to look into this fault, firstly by checking the oil pressure and relief valve.

I can imagine the kit I have wont have the correct fittings for a Japanese block so does anyone know what fittings they use ?

Other question is has anyone else heard of a Subaru doing this ? it would ring true that this could be the fault as the engine has developed a few oil leaks here and there which for a low mileage car seems a bit strange

Anyway any advice would be good, if not I'll let you know how I get on
Old 18-09-2007, 11:18 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could you not get an oil pressure gauge to see what your gettting?
Old 18-09-2007, 11:23 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry mate, thats the "kit" I mentioned.

Will look into it later, I was really just interested if anyone had experienced a similar fault on any other vehicle.

I have no idea if the Subarus have variable valve timing or anything that could be affected by high oil pressure giving symptons of no compression.