General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Moderators and power

Search this Thread

Old 13-09-2007, 09:39 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moderators and power

I have seen a reply on a thread saying that a Gold member giving out login details ( funnily enough in a members only forum ) will be banned for life!!

Would a moderator, inviting someone around for a fight and giving out his address be banned too?

Or is this a matter for the Police?
Old 13-09-2007, 09:52 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^
Advanced PassionFord User

mmmmm

Just what i expected, 26 views and not 1 reply
Old 13-09-2007, 09:54 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only reason I looked was because I needed cheering up tonight
Old 13-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

27 views now john and 2 replies
Old 13-09-2007, 09:57 PM
rauri
up in smoke........

what came first,chicken or egg?
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

slim20012
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i looked waitin to see the replies even tho i dont know anyone just know bye the title that theres gunna be trouble
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Can't see the thread

anyone wanna copy and paste?
Old 13-09-2007, 11:01 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can a gold member give me his pass word so i can have a look in that thread
Old 13-09-2007, 11:02 PM
MAD EVO 4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 14-09-2007, 06:29 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if no one but gold members can see the thread, what's to stop a gold member from showing it to a non gold member?

would that be against the rules?

no it wouldn't, because the rules state (somewhere, well if they don't they should) that you should not give out your login to anyone else just in case they cause problems

i've had it in the past because both me and mick will post from the same computer, and he's posted under my login and i've posted under his, but it's not like we were going o go out with the aim of causing confusion, if one is logged in and doesn't log the other out, same as with a few peole that will share the same computer

giving out details would possibly cause the life ban to come into effect but onl depending on where they were giving out, i rememebr alex asking about someones login in a post as the other guy couldn't log in, but then you go into the relams of judging one post where someone has asked someone else to possibly log in as themselves from another ocmputer and then being all above board and such as to soemone else plastering soemnes login details all over the shop looking to get them into trouble
Old 14-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

It's easy enough for Mods to check if someone has passed over their login details, all they have to do is check the IP address/addresses used by the person they suspect having given it out and then cross check IP details with the person they suspect of it being given to.
Old 14-09-2007, 06:53 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop
It's easy enough for Mods to check if someone has passed over their login details, all they have to do is check the IP address/addresses used by the person they suspect having given it out and then cross check IP details with the person they suspect of it being given to.
only if you have a fixed IP
Old 14-09-2007, 06:57 AM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

and i thought the school holidays had actually ended, obviously not as the playground behaviour is still lingering about.

Old 14-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by Mitsy FQ
Incorrect.... most ISPs whether static or dynamic will always start with the same 2 numbers.

So if someone is on.... say Pipex or Virgin the first set of numbers will be different to someone on AOL
Old 14-09-2007, 07:17 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Incorrect.... most ISPs whether static or dynamic will always start with the same 2 numbers.

So if someone is on.... say Pipex or Virgin the first set of numbers will be different to someone on AOL
I was told by a mod on here ( thats before they all fooked off to there new site because this one is always down and nobody gives a shit ) that on PF its almost impossible to check if somone is logging on under 2 user names

Or was this just one of many bullshit stories told to try and cover up why PF is always , slow , of line , etc and that nobody was realy bothered as the money was still rolling in
Old 14-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

i think you should call the police john if i was you coz if you have been threatened by a mod or actually asked for a fight then jeez get the dibble
Old 14-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

oh by the way everyone we have yet another attention whore and its not one of phils personalities
Old 14-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Redkop

All Mods will have user's IP addresses visible.....
Old 14-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

I was told by a mod on here ( thats before they all fooked off to there new site because this one is always down and nobody gives a shit ) that on PF its almost impossible to check if somone is logging on under 2 user names

Or was this just one of many bullshit stories told to try and cover up why PF is always , slow , of line , etc and that nobody was realy bothered as the money was still rolling in
Paul that probably is true, unless they have a specific user in mind.

On vBulletin software, it is possible to check if a user has more than one account.
Old 14-09-2007, 07:44 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

You can't "cross check" IP details at all because if someone wants to use multiple accounts they can and theres nothing moderators or admins can do. It so easy get lots of IPs from either manual proxies or software.

Lets say some gets their userID stolen because of vulnerabilites in forum software or exploits and a mod suspects this because they look at the ip and it comes from japan or USA all of a sudden, how do they know the original user isn't using a proxy just because they feel like it for privacy?

Theres a site i've used and i've been banned over 10 times which is a lifetime ban but theres fuck all the Admin can do to stop me signing up and he actually works at the offices doing the site and sorting the databse not just do it remotely for someone. And lets just say i did more than simple have a bitch with someone to get the ban.

But as said Dynamic IPs would throw most mods off when looking and so many people are on the same ISP. Those being naughty would have the right measures in place.
Old 14-09-2007, 07:56 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

when i was modding on a forum there was a little button in the corner which said "ip"
and there was also a list of all the addresses that that user had posted from
and you also have a list of everyone else who was also a user and who had also posted from those ip addresses

don't know if things have changed in the past 10 months or so but things do have a way of getting checked out, you just need to put your effort into the search
Old 14-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Redkop

An easy check for the Mods to use for basic checks when they 'suspect' a particular person of giving out login details is to use RIPE Whois Database to see who the ISP is.

You're right though Skeg about using proxy IPs, that's very easy to do as well
Old 14-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

lol speculations running wild there are certain ways to check a 2 user 1 login but im not about to go into it on a open discssion are lol
Old 14-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by jay.
lol speculations running wild there are certain ways to check a 2 user 1 login but im not about to go into it on a open discssion are lol
Of course there is and anyone who has been a Mod on a forum will know this......
Old 14-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If someone wants to use 2 user accounts and it not be known its easy.
Old 14-09-2007, 08:53 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

and what if you log on from several diff pcs as i and many others do? Hardly a foolproof way of seeing if someone has given out their details.