General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can you find out a cars insurance from the reg??

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Chairman
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you find out a cars insurance from the reg??

I need to find out someones insurance, if they had any,
They crashed into the back of my car and gave false details, I know the name and reg of the car (ford focus) but they gave incorrect insurance details and now we cant claim, and our car is a write off

Our insurance are a bunch of useless wankers and cant do anything
Old 14-08-2007, 09:25 PM
markhinton
Part of the Furniture

Phone the police, or contact the DVLA - they'll be able to give you the correct information if you tell them what's happened, I'm sure?

Good luck, as that is poor effort from the Focus!
Old 14-08-2007, 09:27 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 14-08-2007, 09:38 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can mate cos i work for an accident management company.

If you feel your insurance are being shit, I'll pm you some details in a bit, just gotta pop out now.
Old 14-08-2007, 09:41 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Had this with my sister, go to the old bill, you complete a form and they send it to your insurance with all the details (your not allowed to seem them).

Oh, and they also issue a notice to prosecute, that usually makes them shit their pants, and in my sisters case, theguy called her being all smarmy saying

"hi, just wondered why you haven't contacted me, i was worried about you, oh i must have goten a number wrong, and by the way, the police want to do me for leaving the scence of an accident, can you let them know i didn't"

My sister got paid out straight away

The guy had given a reg with one letter out, and the number was his, but when we called it, he said, sorry no mr smith here . the police were spot on, tried a couple of varients on the reg until they got a silver focus, registered to a mrs smith in that area, he had written J and it was a U (he wrote J deffo, not a slip of the pen)

I would say it is the police letter that makes them shit their pants
Old 15-08-2007, 05:43 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

it's a collision report you need to fill in
they hand it to you, you fill it in, you send it back, they give you a reference number
then you wait

it used to be that you would have to go to the station, fill the form out and then they would send you a letter out statings the persons details and if they were going to be issuing proceedings against them or not (i've got a few stashed away ) but i think there were too many cases of retribution in the past so they have problbaly stopped doing that
Old 15-08-2007, 08:21 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It needs reporting to the police right away, as it an offence to leave the scene of an accident without exchanging particulars(flase ones don't count).
Your insureres have a LEGAL obligation to pursue this, should they CHOOSE not to they cannot clobber your NCB.
A big difference is if there was any PI(personal injury), if there was just get onto a no win no fee solicitor an they WILL do it all for you.
Are you in the AA/RAC, if so they can appoint one on the above basis for you, if not then just phone around.
The MIB operate a insurance database, but it is VOLUNTARY(at present) but all companies in this country are in it, the second you give the reg number to your insurer they KNOW the other parties insurers as they have a DIRECT LINK to this database, as do the POLICE, POLICY NUMBER/COMPANY/date started, date to end etc, and even the PHONE number of the company.
All insurers do this to prevent fraud.
A trick you can do is just issue other party with a COUNTY COURT SUMMONS, will cost you £35, but it's major BROWN PANTS TIME for the other person(respondent), as you do NOT HAVE TO go through the insurers, you can so if you wish SUE the person individually, if HE THEN CHOOSES to give you his details instead of being out of pocket being sued all the better!!
I have done this in the past and it works a treat.
The point is if you have the reg number the POLICE should be looking into it, if not make some noise(rant) at the INSURANCE FRAUD DATABASE 0800 328 2550.
Do you have any witnesses independant preferably ?
A tip, always carry a DISPOSABLE CAMERA WITH YOU amd takes lots of piccies of the people involved/cars etc as this puts them at the scene.
If the police attend and ask you not to take piccies ignore them as NO ONE in the country can stop anyone taking any picture in public .
Were they immingrants ?
If you were fully comp then claim on your policy as this will encourage your insurer to pursue it better, they may already have seen that the other car was uninsured, but were you aware that there is a LAST MAN STANDING RULE ?, NO, mnost people aren't either.
Pm me if I can be of any help, as best to keep details out of print!!
tabetha
Old 15-08-2007, 09:00 AM
stonehavencossie
Advanced PassionFord User

I must say id change insurance company no matter what as they should be doing more

this happened to a mate and his insurance company sorted it all out including contacting the police

its what we pay pemiuims for ?
Old 15-08-2007, 09:09 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you change the insurance company NOW they CANNOT deal with it!!
Not doing anything is a common ploy to save them money/work as they are robbing gits!!
tabetha
Old 15-08-2007, 10:20 AM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Shit chair what a drain mate!!!

Hope you get it sorted mate
Old 15-08-2007, 11:45 AM
b_kennedy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

dont know if this will help

http://www.miic.org.uk/