General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

why is long studding bad?

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Ian M
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
AFAIK ALL big power engine are long studded.

wrong, karls isnt. and i,de rather listen to him than a1.
Old 14-08-2007, 10:36 AM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by RS500/364
Just thought i would say that and you confirmed it cheers !!
can i go on your stand £7.50 want to save the £2.50 on sunday lol
you on the track ?
All tickets are sold.
Its ok £2.50 wont break me just the food pricing there
Old 14-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

cant remember if it was stu that told me to replace the standard bolts every 6/8k rather than bother with any long stud or nut kit but we were just talking around the 400 bhp mark
Old 14-08-2007, 11:39 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
There is such a ongoing argument to what the difference between the 205 block and 200 block is.

I have been guaranteed that there is a lot more than just extra webbing at the bottom as I have heard said before.

Even with the few years that I have had a interest in Cosworths I like others can think of a fair few 500+ hp engines that were built from 200 blocks with long studs and haven't failed, and thats just local to me.

Funny how all of a sudden everyone is on the bandwagon saying that 200 blocks are crap, long studs dont work etc.. yet for the last 20 years people have been using them with no problem whatsoever. (apparently)

IMO there is a lot more people around these days willing to build you a big power YB when in reality only 3/10 of all the tuners actually know what their talking about.

Apparently anyone these days can build you a reliable 500hp Yb for less than the next tuner
yet how many do you see that actually perform like 500 bhp

Stick with tried and tesetd methods that have proven to work
No disrespect mate but your far from the only one in the uk with a genuine 500hp on a T4, not everyone believes in having to have their car on the rollers every month or at top speed events just to prove their point

As I said I can think of a few cars round my way running touring car engines, they might not get used much but they WILL be running over 500hp.

I certainly don't dispute that quite a few people with a T4 assume they have 500hp though.

Karl- Thanks for the imformative reply, I do not doubt your knowledge one bit and I have no doubt that you are correct in everything you have said

I dont and have never thought that I am the only one with 500 bhp??

did my post come across wrongly or something but I thought I was AGREEING with you!!
Old 14-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JB,
I think what Euan was saying is that lots of people claim / think they have 500bhp, but if this figure is GENUINE, then the car would be capable of a timed 180+mph at one of the runways.

However, given the number that have claimed the magic number and tried (but failed) to achieve this, I think it proves that these claims are nothing more than that - claims .

Obviously it is a LOT easier to claim big numbers and then not back it up - and that is up to the owners what they want to use the car for, but I think that you will find that there are even MORE deluded people NOT prepared / interested in backing up their power claims, than those that are and fail .
Old 14-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Although potentially failing at brunters could be something as simple as your car not being adequetly intercooler to maintain 500bhp all the way up that distance when foot to the floor, it could still be a genuine 500bhp when you first apply the throttle.
Old 14-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Although potentially failing at brunters could be something as simple as your car not being adequetly intercooler to maintain 500bhp all the way up that distance when foot to the floor, it could still be a genuine 500bhp when you first apply the throttle.
A bit pointless in having it, if everytime you get on the power you lose 50bhp (or what-ever amount) at high rpm because of a shonky intercooler set-up .
Old 14-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Chip

A bit pointless in having it, if everytime you get on the power you lose 50bhp (or what-ever amount) at high rpm because of a shonky intercooler set-up .
Depends on the application, and how long it takes for you to build the IC temps you need to lose the power.

Im sure you yourself can confirm that one could lap the ring all day and not see the charge temps one would get in a single run at brunters.

I noticed Porkie's charge temps went up and down a lot during a lap of coombe, and were always cool enough at the start of the straight to be not a problem, but I suspect his car held flat out for 1.5 miles would end up at high charge temps, that doesnt stop it being useful at coombe though where that didnt happen to him.
Old 14-08-2007, 11:57 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

there are those that just build it for the bragging rights... and are not really interested in driving it properly...

imo if you are gonn build it, build it properly! but people dont always think like that...
Old 14-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Chip

Build it properly for what though?

If you are only ever going to be on the throttle for less than 10 seconds flat out at a time before backing off for a corner on a track, why do you need an FMIC so big it can handle 30 seconds?
Old 14-08-2007, 12:12 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

sorry... should have worded that properly... it should be built to the application of the car... i.e. drag, time attack or rally... e.t.c. not just bragging rights... so i do agree with you... lol
Old 14-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

A good point.. And some cant do it due to gearing. A great example of that is Lee Cattermoles 3 door (B16 BHP) whos gearig leaves him a few mph short on teh limiter in 5th.
Old 14-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Chip

Yes gearing is another reason for people "failing" at brunters, but why the hell would Lee want to gear for 1.5 miles when the event that interests him is .25 mile!

LOTS of perfectly valid reasons for a car being 500bhp and not "proving it at brunters"
Old 14-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Lee's car HAS been adequately proven at Brunters . 177mph on 3.9 gearing, almost 10s quarters and 0-150 in twenty-something seconds, proves the power figure COMPLETELY and beyond any doubt to me.

Regarding the intercooler comment, IN MY OPINION, anything that sees charge temps of over 55°C needs the intercooling being addressed.
Old 14-08-2007, 12:44 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is such a ongoing argument to what the difference between the 205 block and 200 block is.

I have been guaranteed that there is a lot more than just extra webbing at the bottom as I have heard said before.

Even with the few years that I have had a interest in Cosworths I like others can think of a fair few 500+ hp engines that were built from 200 blocks with long studs and haven't failed, and thats just local to me.

Funny how all of a sudden everyone is on the bandwagon saying that 200 blocks are crap, long studs dont work etc.. yet for the last 20 years people have been using them with no problem whatsoever. (apparently)

IMO there is a lot more people around these days willing to build you a big power YB when in reality only 3/10 of all the tuners actually know what their talking about.

Apparently anyone these days can build you a reliable 500hp Yb for less than the next tuner

No disrespect mate but your far from the only one in the uk with a genuine 500hp on a T4, not everyone believes in having to have their car on the rollers every month or at top speed events just to prove their point

As I said I can think of a few cars round my way running touring car engines, they might not get used much but they WILL be running over 500hp.

I certainly don't dispute that quite a few people with a T4 assume they have 500hp though.

Karl- Thanks for the imformative reply, I do not doubt your knowledge one bit and I have no doubt that you are correct in everything you have said

did my post come across wrongly or something but I thought I was AGREEING with you!!
Looking back on what I wrote last night I apologise , I did mis read what you said, not had anything near enough sleep over the last few nights .

Mike I do agree with what your saying, as I said it does seem most people with a T4 claim 500 hp.

Most of the 500hp engines I refer to are race engines but I do know you know of the builder as he uses Harvey and Ahmed to dyno his engines, I'm also sure you would agree he doesn't make his figures up.

Again I apoligise if anything I wrote was taken the wrong way
Old 14-08-2007, 01:52 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

i'm fairly sure the brooklyn car did too...but that never ran a head gasket and the engines came apart more frequently than most road cars.
Old 16-08-2007, 09:04 AM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Originally Posted by bud-weis
i'm fairly sure the brooklyn car did too...but that never ran a head gasket and the engines came apart more frequently than most road cars.
going to sound stupid now (nothing new)

if that never ran with a headgasket, what did they use, im no expert, i hardly know a thing about engines, so feel free to take the piss

or have i read this wrong
Old 16-08-2007, 09:25 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by indycos
Originally Posted by bud-weis
going to sound stupid now (nothing new)

if that never ran with a headgasket, what did they use, im no expert, i hardly know a thing about engines, so feel free to take the piss

or have i read this wrong
Was probably on rings.

Im sure there was some sort of seal there as you are looking at two vastly different metals.

Early 911 turbos dont run a headgasket at all, but they are heads and blocks with near identical expansion rates.
Old 16-08-2007, 09:55 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

yeah, there were grooves machined into the deck face, around the bores, oil ways and waterways....fire rings went around the bores and sealant went around the oil and water ways.

Old 16-08-2007, 10:10 AM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

so now the engine is done what next dif ratio ?beam ?
Old 16-08-2007, 11:22 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Looking back on what I wrote last night I apologise , I did mis read what you said, not had anything near enough sleep over the last few nights .

Mike I do agree with what your saying, as I said it does seem most people with a T4 claim 500 hp.

Most of the 500hp engines I refer to are race engines but I do know you know of the builder as he uses Harvey and Ahmed to dyno his engines, I'm also sure you would agree he doesn't make his figures up.

Again I apoligise if anything I wrote was taken the wrong way
Old 28-09-2007, 09:13 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts
Default studs

just wanted to add to this my engine is nms built and has standard head bolts and running 2.2 bar boost and is perfect. ive done about 12 160 to 170 mph runs without any issues. at the end of the day cosowrth knew what they were doing when they built these engines. but everyone will have different views thats life
Old 28-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Rossco
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very intresting thread, shame about all the bitching
Old 28-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Dannn

JB,
I think what Euan was saying is that lots of people claim / think they have 500bhp, but if this figure is GENUINE, then the car would be capable of a timed 180+mph at one of the runways.
I agree - i thought I had a 500bhp but timed runs proved it was not!

Sorry Mike I could not resist!
Old 28-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Dannn

Originally Posted by Karl
205 and 200 blocks, now there is a topic I could write an essay about. However as Dan is a school boy, I shall refrain from helping. Minority spoil it for the rest im affraid.
I would love to see and read that topic!

Fuck the Minority, the majority of people want to read stuff like that on here!
Old 28-09-2007, 09:59 PM
Dannn

Originally Posted by MAD YUM
Originally Posted by Dannn
JB,
I agree - i thought I had a 500bhp but timed runs proved it was not!

Sorry Mike I could not resist!

Was you told when you bought it that it was 500bhp then?
I watched the cunt get dynoed you fool. Anyway just a little joke for Gay bird.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have two 500bhp with no problems with head gaskets from long studding or standard bolts

PMSL@Dannn

how do i know they were 500bhp?..well it wasnt from dyno figures!
Old 28-09-2007, 10:47 PM
rs4steve
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

ive had 5 engine blow ups now all have been long studded blocks have now reverted back to standard engine 200block with stretch bolts grp a headgasket will let u know in time how long in hours this lasts for,

my last engine lasted 15hrs,10 long studs wrc head gasket wrc oil squirters after a while like nutter u get pissed off with the expense of replacing blocks, pistons, headgaskets( especially at £375 a time )
Old 29-09-2007, 01:19 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but something HAS to be wrong for an engine to only last 15hours IMO.

Mikes isn't mega tuned but it was a 500hp engine that done 30k, Rods old engine again was big hp and iirc that done around the same mileage with a lot of power runs.

Ofcourse I have no idea if Mark does long stud his engines though but I know Harvey does.

Really would be good for Karl to write up that article
Old 29-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Mikes isn't mega tuned but it was a 500hp engine that done 30k, Rods old engine again was big hp and iirc that done around the same mileage with a lot of power runs.

Ofcourse I have no idea if Mark does long stud his engines though but I know Harvey does.

Every engine I biuld over 380hp has longs studs, I dont not biuld them if they dont have them,
I do map engines over this level if the customer does not have them but in the understanding that I am not a big fan running engines like it.

Mark
Old 29-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead

Every engine I biuld over 380hp has longs studs, I dont not biuld them if they dont have them,
I do map engines over this level if the customer does not have them but in the understanding that I am not a big fan running engines like it.

Mark

could you explain why this is mark ?
Old 29-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: studs

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
just wanted to add to this my engine is nms built and has standard head bolts and running 2.2 bar boost and is perfect. ive done about 12 160 to 170 mph runs without any issues. at the end of the day cosowrth knew what they were doing when they built these engines. but everyone will have different views thats life
Mine runs 900+bhp @ 2.5bar & runs 200mph for fun & has a complete set of long studs, we are now on a different Power level to anything Cosworth thought possible from a YB, the main problem at this level is Blocks warping not gaskets blowing. Long studs are a must at this level of Power/Performance.
Old 29-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by kaliber cossie
ive had 5 engine blow ups now all have been long studded blocks have now reverted back to standard engine 200block with stretch bolts grp a headgasket will let u know in time how long in hours this lasts for,

my last engine lasted 15hrs,10 long studs wrc head gasket wrc oil squirters after a while like nutter u get pissed off with the expense of replacing blocks, pistons, headgaskets( especially at £375 a time )
Didn't I read on one of your previous posts that you are running 500+bhp with compression considerably over 8:1 ? I think you will find that this is your problem - nothing to do with the long studs.

My 500bhp engine in my Sapphire that did 150-175mph three-four times EVERY single tank full of fuel (sometimes even more often) lasted 20k with not one single problem. It was still going strong when I crashed it.

My last Escort engine did 35k miles (but with much kinder treatment on the road, but heavier track abuse) with no issues.
Old 29-09-2007, 10:24 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: studs

Originally Posted by MadRod
Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
Mine runs 900+bhp @ 2.5bar & runs 200mph for fun & has a complete set of long studs, we are now on a different Power level to anything Cosworth thought possible from a YB, the main problem at this level is Blocks warping not gaskets blowing. Long studs are a must at this level of Power/Performance.
youre in a different eague to all us minions though mate, your engine is literally a timebomb over 450 bhp per litre of capacity that is astonashing by anyones standard
Old 29-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jay.

Mark

could you explain why this is mark ?
The YB block is not strong enough at the top of the block around the bolts holes mainly the 3 to 6 holes, This causes distortion around the top of the block which then does not garrenty a perfect gasket seal.

Mark
Old 29-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Mark

Well that's mine fooked then..

Quick Reply: why is long studding bad?