General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

NOT an attension post BUT i want your HONEST opinion

Search this Thread

Old 29-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 29-09-2004, 09:54 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jim...when such bold statements come from you it is the ultimate put down,because looking at your posts you come across a complete bodger/no idea merchant ...admittedly you have come a bit further since the firestarting days..although asking how to attach a fuel pressure gauge was NOT a good move ...I would expect you are very intelligent in certain areas though..ie computers.
Old 29-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

re: firestarting, its obvious you've found something that can really wind me up so you're constantly implying that that incident was MY fault to get a reaction from me (which you know you'll get because its bang out of order imho) thats a prime example of your rudeness and general inability to function in a mature environment... you dont see me taking the piss out of your dogs passing away or any problems you may/may not be having with your other half do you?

some things are just below the belt and do not need to be said imho... there's a line... and you see no problem with crossing it whenever you want.

thats one of the reasons people dislike you, you just dont care when youve gone too far.

anyway we're not discussing car techincal knowledge, we're talking about general inteligence, i know people that are thick as two short planks yet are experts in their given areas, likewise i know people who are bloody clever, but they cant tell their arse from their elbow.

the main difference between us is that i am willing to learn from others experience and would like to be corrected if i made a mistake etc. to further my own knowledge. You on the otherhand seem to have an "i know better" attitude and cant stand if someone tells you youre going about things the wrong way.
Old 29-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil, without you, the ford tuning world would'nt be the same!! Despite the fact you have made nasty comments towards me in the past, I'm very thick skinned so its water off a ducks back! Bring the IMA name back, its not the same without it!
Old 29-09-2004, 10:09 AM
SPADGE
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl
Phil, without you, the ford tuning world would'nt be the same!! Despite the fact you have made nasty comments towards me in the past, I'm very thick skinned so its water off a ducks back! Bring the IMA name back, its not the same without it!

Oh dear Karl can't you see that is exactly what he wants people to say
Old 29-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please be understanding to Phil, as he has no window from where he types and they only let him out under my supervision (hence why you don't see him at many events, as I like to mix with people, so can't have the responsibility of looking after him at any events where I am not able to watch over him 100% of the time ). His only view on the world is through his keyboard, so if anyone has any landscape pictures they can send him, then this would be most appreciated (however, he did mention something about wipe proof nude photos of Cola, Maria or Taryn also being acceptable ). Once you understand that Phil is a complete retard, then you can't help but feel sorry for him (and almost even liking him). Just think of a more stupid Forrest Gump and you are along the right lines . Stupid is, as Phil does .
Old 29-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Spadge, I agree with you, but if you ignore his antagonistc comments, he's actually quite a comedian!!
Old 29-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Phil your a soiund bloke and perfectly likable away from the keyboard,but after you had a few,your become a arsehole sometimes.Whether intentionally or not.

There you go
Old 29-09-2004, 10:25 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Never had a problem with what u have said or anything u have done on PF.

In answer to your question. No you are not mental.

Bring back IMA username tho!!!

Rich
Old 29-09-2004, 10:31 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yes Jim.....i know how to WIND you up like you know how to pull my pisser.

Considering i deal with trade and get mucho advice...i digest everything and then decide myself......its not the case of "i know better" its going on a route which i feel is right for me as i have the time/money to experiment...and then to get questioned and told what to do by a NON pro who dont know about YB's is a little hard to take in!!!
Old 29-09-2004, 10:32 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by Rock Your World
Yes Jim.....i know how to WIND you up like you know how to pull my pisser.

Considering i deal with trade and get mucho advice...i digest everything and then decide myself......its not the case of "i know better" its going on a route which i feel is right for me as i have the time/money to experiment...and then to get questioned and told what to do by a NON pro who dont know about YB's is a little hard to take in!!!
Old 29-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Jim, Phils definitely a giver and not a receiver - I should know .
Old 29-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

what about your ECU choice

on that matter i think you're either

1) a complete tool
2) only trying to wind up simon
3) got fed some bullsh*t by the person who wanted to sell it to you

one of the 3 anyway and my opinion is shared by experienced professionally, who simply WOULDN'T post to that effect to avoid a "tuner war" or whatever...

sometimes people bite their lip and dont say anything...

also phil, i was oly trying to HELP you and i still think you made the wrong choice...

its a bit like turning down a date with britney spears and goin of with vanessa instead...

you still get laid, but its nowhere near as good
Old 29-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

So Jim, are you saying that an L8 is quite inferior to an S8 for running a YB engine?
Old 29-09-2004, 10:41 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jim......why was it wrong to go to L8,which i already had,over the S8...oh it does a few more things i dont need on a 400+ engine...yes if i'd gone for 500+ then maybe it would have been worthwhile....plus of course its not excatly a tested ECU....Infact...i went L8 because Karl actually said why not go that with 4 greys.....and he has mapped both.
Old 29-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

karl, what had L8 got that SECS hasn't?

also please remember phil is not using a chip specced for his engine (unless he LIED)
Old 29-09-2004, 10:44 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jim...both ECU chips need mapping

L8 cost £120 plus £100 for base chip = £220

S8 costs £500 + vat

S8 needed proper live map...L8 chip needs slight mods..son mucho cheaper and no less efficient.

Yeah i am insane and you are a genuis Jim
Old 29-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

S8 needed proper live map...L8 chip needs slight mods
how on earth can you say that?

why would one ECU NEED a livemap and another ECU NOT

in ANY situation?

all an ECU is is a peice of hardware that does what it's told
Old 29-09-2004, 10:47 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Jim,

Mapping L8 is easier than S8, but thats not to say that I don't recommend S8. It's simply that l8 is perfectly up to the job of running an engine like Phils and thus S8 offers no advantage but more cost.
Old 29-09-2004, 10:57 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Jim just to wrap this up.....

S8...there is NO chip avalible for my engine spec (as far as i am aware) other than base chip to get it to a live map session.

L8..the chip i am running is very close to my actual spec so only needs a good setup.

So Jim..your whole silly discussion with me has now shown you to be the uneducated twat
Old 29-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Kissmyass

I'm sure when you have BOTH been for therapy and only one of you comes back you will be fine mate
Old 29-09-2004, 11:07 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Karl
Jim,

Mapping L8 is easier than S8, but thats not to say that I don't recommend S8. It's simply that l8 is perfectly up to the job of running an engine like Phils and thus S8 offers no advantage but more cost.
Karl, Sorry to correct you on this but....

Mapping L8 is only easier because you have the correct equipment and
technical information that most people do NOT have access to.

The S8 does NOT need any special equipment apart from a PC.

You say the S8 offers NO more advantage over Level 8 and is more expensive.
Most Level 8's are years old now and also need severe modification to drive
more than 4 injectors.
Can you buy (retail) an 8 injector Level 8 for less than a NEW S8 ?
Also when you compare the ease of use and the fact the S8 will drive 8
injectors as standard, gives finer control of big injectors,
allows coil pack usage, and whole host of other features at NO extra cost.

I aggree with you however, that the Level 8 was good enough for what Phil
wanted once he had actually made his mind up.

Phil,
I could have given you a map that was 95% ok if you had actually given me your
full engine specification but this was changing on a daily basis.

Also, Live mapping takes the same time/effort and skill no matter what ECU you
ended up with.
Old 29-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Simon,

As I have said to you, I do recommend your product, but I disagree with some of your above comments. It sounds to me as if you are implying people should map their own cars??

For big bhp cars I think the MAJOR advantage on offer by the S8 is the facility to run coil packs as standard. Yes I agree the retail price on a L8 super 8 is above S8, but you will find a much greater move towards 4 larger injectors for big bhp as this gives a much wider range of plenum options and simplifies the injecton system. Again L8 can cope with this fine, offers closed loop lambda if required, WI control and air injector or amal control. It is also such a well known system that makes it so user friendly, something which I'm sure in time will apply to S8 as the product and software improves.

Thus as you can see , L8 is perfectly fine for the majority of people including phil!

What I can see happening with S8 is as job bloggs in the street is given the ability to map his own car, melted engines are going to become more common!!! Great news for those of us who build engines!!!
Old 29-09-2004, 11:22 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

simon just responed to that almost perfectly:

Phil,
I could have given you a map that was 95% ok if you had actually given me your
full engine specification but this was changing on a daily basis.

Also, Live mapping takes the same time/effort and skill no matter what ECU you
ended up with.
your reasoning behind your L8 being better than S8 because of the chip etc. is complete tosh imho.

there is no reason you could not run a map IDENTICAL to the one you bought for the L8.

also remember you bougt a pectel monitor (sorry, a "colins" monitor ) so that you could adjust your base chip.

when you decided on this you had no idea on the limitations of such monitor and how its completely inappropriate for what you wanted it for (whreas the S8 was perfect for what you wanted) and when people actually pointed out its limittions and explained why etc. etc. your story suddenly changed that you only wanted it to look good etc. etc.

its OBVIOUS to me that you're on the defensive about this as i think you've finally realised that the things you have bought are ) not ideal for you 2) are probably a waste of money. and thats regardless of the fact you had the opotrunity to use the equipment that was perfect for YOU
Old 29-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Jim you amaze me!!! You talk as if you are familiar with the abilities and mapping of both systems!!!
Old 29-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

karl, you have the same problem with ALL aftermarket management systems tho...

the advantage with the S8 is that you put the map onto the ECU and then lock it and don not give the user the map file...

therfore the ONLY way they can get a copy of the map file to edit, is to get the password from their tuner to download it then edit it.

the only way they could remap anyting is if they started 100% from scratch witha blank canvas (which not even sum1 like ima would attempt!)

as for user-friendliness... ive been playing with loads of different mapping proggies (just for a laff to see what their software is like) and i personally found the S8 the easiest to use...

autronic was quite cool (especially the autotune feature!) but was way too complex IMHO...

i cant see how S8 can be any simpler to use/map? its got big clear buttons, big clear tables and i cant think of any way to make it EASIER to manipulate the data
Old 29-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

karl, i know how to use the S8 software, i just dont know that changing the data will do to an engine as i dont have the tuning knowledge (at the end of the day its just a peice of software, and knowing how to use software is what i do for a living and is what i am VERY good at)

but regardless i dont see anything in my 1st reply that implies that anyway

have i at any point said anything WRONG sofar karl?

just becasue i do not fully understand the implications of what changes affect what an engine does, it does not stop me from understanding the hardware and software of 2 units.

i wouldnt try to tell you you dont know anything about building engines, so why try to tell me i dont know about PC based software
Old 29-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Thanks Dad, you know best!
Old 29-09-2004, 11:32 AM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

....on a side note and i did explain this to Simon...was i didnt really like the ability to be able to map the car myself As Karl says it would have been too tempting to pretend i am a Jim Galbally..Master of the Universe

As said...£400 cheaper my L8 setup was too...ok i bought the collins moniter..but that was NOT needed that was just a impulse buy like the bloody skyline
Old 29-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

karl, how about you dont get sarky, and you actually try and answer my questions and respond in an adult manner? no use trying to make me look stupid by simply implying that i'm talking out of my arse, PROVE im talking out of my arse...

if i'm wrong, i'd rather know i'm wrong than go on thinking something incorrectly and possibly passing on that incorrect information to others!

phil, you admit the monitor wasn't needed... woohoo

as for mapping your own engine, its explained above how you can make it impossible to do it youself also the simple option is, dont buy a laptop and an RS232 cable then you cant do it in the 1st place

as for mapping yourself, i have NO intention of attempting this myself in any way shape or form... ever... i know better to leave it to the experts. maye one day i'll buy some shitty fiesta thing and have a go myself just to havea play, something i dont care if it blows up or not... but NOT on my sierra
Old 29-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Ztee24
Advanced PassionFord User

I never had any issues with you! You are a cool person to me...that's all that matters!

However, your new name cracks me up!
Old 29-09-2004, 11:42 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

(Just so we are clear, this is not a dig at Karl or Phil)

Karl,

My ECU software does say on startup "mapping should be only done by competant people"
so yes I agree, not everyone should do it but there will always be those who want to
but more importantly, the ability to have thier car tuned/diagnosed by
ANY tuner not just those who have the specialised emulators/encryption
tools and eprom programmers plus the people in the PECTEL cartell.
There are far more Level 8's out there that the S8 but not for long I hope

Your experience with the S8 is limited.
The ECU version you have used are early versions as they were freebie's
to the people concerned used at the time for promotion purposes.
The features now far exceed the Level 8
(Infact I have been asked by that person to send you the update kit)

The fact is, ECU suppliers like myself will ALWAYS need tuners like yourself to promote
products like this as in reality, you cant have one without the other.
Old 29-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Jim Galbally,
therfore the ONLY way they can get a copy of the map file to edit, is to get the password from their tuner to download it then edit it.
This is the only real dissagreeance i have with you there Jim.
Most punters wont pay me if i lock their ECU.. fact.
Old 29-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

then its their decision, not yours

also you could choose not to sell to them at all if you were worried about piracy

ps simon, just thought of another cool feature for your ECU...

have logs held on the ECU memory somewhere to note whenever the map was changed... that way you wcould prove if the ECU was in the same state as it was when it left the tuners.. could help stop a lot of confusion if an engine ever melted afte a customer fiddled themselves, then put the original map back on to cover up what they'd done
Old 29-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Simon, I agree with you, and this is why I have always recommended your product. However I can only comment on the ECU's and software that I have used to date and this is why I have stated that in time I'm sure S8 will be fantastic!

I hope you've had my feedback from the software I used, as there are areas of the S8 software that are not as user friendly as they could be!

Again I have in no way been disrepctfull to any product and am giving my unbiased view of using S8 in comparison to L8. There is still no doubt in my mind that for the vast majority of users L8 is perfectly adequate, and of course cheaper if using a conventional 4 injector setup.

As I've said though my major concern is in giving anyone the ability to play with the mapping themselves! I would have preferred S8 software to remain an authorised tuner distributed product only, but I can see how the product is far more sellable if it includes software for each individual to do with as they see fit.
Old 29-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally

have logs held on the ECU memory somewhere to note whenever the map was changed... that way you wcould prove if the ECU was in the same state as it was when it left the tuners.. could help stop a lot of confusion if an engine ever melted afte a customer fiddled themselves, then put the original map back on to cover up what they'd done
That is a fookin cool idea indeed
Old 29-09-2004, 12:09 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

...on a side note Jimmy...after thinking about it..why was the diagnostic machine that shows :- ACT/Coolant temp,ign timing,inj timing,rpm,map sensor boost,batt voltage,co pot,throttle position plus 4 inputs..plus a fault finder for all sensors and the ability to adj the timing/fuel......why is that NOT good? It has actually showed me that i have NO sensor faults plus i could accurately set the TPS up So to an actual DIYer very valuable!!!

Good point re mapping BTW..so :-

L8 cost me £120
Chip £100

S8 £500 plus vat
ok we will assume chip is good enuff in it

So £220 vs £570

What is the point of S8 as Karl says which costs more to me....IF like you say to lock it..ROFL...oh so if i did decide to map and want all the displays (which collins does,but disregard this as its a diagnotic tool) add another £300/400 for laptop.

Jim, what a 42 carrat plonker you really are I advise you STAY away from maths
Old 29-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
i'm talking out of my arse
pardon? did someone just fart
Old 29-09-2004, 12:13 PM
ImaRacing 700
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers ZTee24.....i nearly didnt see your reply due to this post going way off course
Old 29-09-2004, 12:22 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Karl,
Comments received and taken on board
Yes you are right, I thought about limiting the sales to tuners but until it was known and
proved reliable, no one would touch it so I had to get the ball rolling.
Still, even now and this is not a criticism, most tuners tend to go with what they
are used too.

One tuner I did tie up with in the early days wanted such a tuner only deal but has not
really progressed his promise (but I suspect a well known mapper had tied his hands)
Going back a few years now, a well known car was about to have an engine
built and my ecu was going to be used but I was dumped on at the very last minute
so I decided to do it all the selling myself.

Jim,
The S8 does record this information but at present only I can read it.
If an engine melts due to bad or incorrect mapping or other engine
component failure then I can hardly be held responsible.
How many engines have melted on Level 6/8 and they still get used.
To this day as far as I know no engines have blown up on my ecu
and I am not saying this is down to the ecu being better but I am sure
the first one that does, my name will be mud.

In reality: I should add, I have melted my own engine during the development process but this was over 3 years ago now.
I would not sell anything not 100% tested on my own car

Quick Reply: NOT an attension post BUT i want your HONEST opinion