General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Another Mountain Bike Post (Jumping)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
timb551
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Mountain Bike Post (Jumping)

Went for my weekly ride last night and was riding along a concrete wall about 3.5 ft above the ground.

Slightly lost my balance so thought ive got to jump off the wall or risk falling off the other side down a large concrete bank and into the water so i chose to fall/jump the other way

Got the first bit right in terms of lifting the front wheel and apparently it looked good in the air but when i hit the ground i did everything wrong, braked, took my hands off then my feet and fell against the wall. Luckily no major damage done.

What is the best technique for landing a jump. I think i need to get bigger pedals for a starter as mine are quite small.......
Old 01-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Land back wheel first, suck the shock up with your body and roll out it if possibly. Always worked for me
Old 01-08-2007, 10:24 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonzy
Land back wheel first, suck the shock up with your body and roll out it if possibly. Always worked for me

good advise, you need to use your arms & legs as shock absorbers, when you land don't be stiff, use your limbs to lower your body with the bike.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Its all about the smoothness, you can jump 8ft in the air and land as smooth as if you just rode off a curb. You have to be part of the bike and use your legs arms and weight distribution as an extension of the bike.

Back wheel is always used first unless the landing area is at a steep downwards angle. Land back wheel there n your ass will eat the dirt.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
timb551

just practice i suppose, i think its getting over the fear that im really going to hurt myself and that ditching the bike mid air is not the desired technique
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Fear is the killer of anything, I used to ride a lot and was sponsored, I did a lot of photo shoots for magazines and competed in the British Championships.

I gave up 5 yrs ago but kept my bike, I still get all my kit free so have always had a bike to hand.
Last year I got back into it, I could still do most things I could previous but my bottle has gone to do the lairy stuff.

This was proved when I panicked (fear) when I lost my balance whilst hoping down some stairs on the seafront, something I would do everyday in the past.
I slipped went over the front sliced my chin on the bottom step and broke my wrist. This was the first injury I ever sustained, all because I had fear that I could nto do it.

I would before not blink an eye lid at jumping onto a hand rail on a bridge then jumping of the other side (12ft) with just the rear wheel in contact at anyone time.

Now I look at it and think – oh what if my chain snapped, what if I slipped, what if I this happens blah blah blah.

Fear is the worst thing, but all I can say is you can lose the fear if you practice and start small.

A year on I can now do the bridge but that’s only because I have worked my way up to that scale of thing.
I am confident in my bike and myself.

If at any point I think I cant do it, I wont. You have to believe you can do it so that you don’t panic and fuck it up.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 177 Likes on 167 Posts

Dont let go
Old 01-08-2007, 12:02 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by m4dyeti
Fear is the killer of anything, I used to ride a lot and was sponsored, I did a lot of photo shoots for magazines and competed in the British Championships.

I gave up 5 yrs ago but kept my bike, I still get all my kit free so have always had a bike to hand.
Last year I got back into it, I could still do most things I could previous but my bottle has gone to do the lairy stuff.

This was proved when I panicked (fear) when I lost my balance whilst hoping down some stairs on the seafront, something I would do everyday in the past.
I slipped went over the front sliced my chin on the bottom step and broke my wrist. This was the first injury I ever sustained, all because I had fear that I could nto do it.

I would before not blink an eye lid at jumping onto a hand rail on a bridge then jumping of the other side (12ft) with just the rear wheel in contact at anyone time.

Now I look at it and think – oh what if my chain snapped, what if I slipped, what if I this happens blah blah blah.

Fear is the worst thing, but all I can say is you can lose the fear if you practice and start small.

A year on I can now do the bridge but that’s only because I have worked my way up to that scale of thing.
I am confident in my bike and myself.

If at any point I think I cant do it, I wont. You have to believe you can do it so that you don’t panic and fuck it up.
so true. i gave up downhil bout 3/4 years ago and took my hard tail out last summer and was just street riding around town. jumped a set of stairs which i was a bit "wary" of goin up to it and thought fuck it, ive done it millions of times before riding to work bla bla bla. my god i shit myself once i was airborn

i hit the bottom half set of steps bounced into the rail/wall on either side of the steps, slipped off the pedals and scratched my shins to pieces how i never came off is still a mystery. id love to get back into it but its a hell of a lot of money to race and that was the reason i give up first time. i was snapping very good frames for fun
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
timb551

Originally Posted by haz87
Dont let go

Yes thanks for the valuable piece of advice