General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dog attack

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Richie Russ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog attack

Just wanted some opinions..

Last Friday i was over my local field walking my dog, she didnt have her lead on as she is VERY well behaved with people and other dogs as i have trained her well.

I saw a St Bernard dog with a women that could just about hold onto it with the lead, so i put my dog on the lead and walked back to my car and thought nothing more other than what a silly dog to have if it drags you along, i was 50 or so yards from my car when all of a sudden, behind us was this huge, but young, St Bernard off its lead with the owner no where in site.

All of a sudden, the St Bernard attacked my dog from behind by jumping on her back making my dog fall to the ground, (she had just had a huge walk and was very tired) and this St Bernard started biting my dog quite badly (my dog is a Staff / Rottie cross so not small and can go some if need be) but she didnt stand a chance.

After what seemed like ages i managed to drag this bloody great big St Bernard off my dog by the neck, my dog walked off to the car in a bit of a mess, bleeding and feeling sorry for herself, i walked the St Bernard back to this idiotic owner who really didnt have a clue, in no way did she make an attempt to help, she was strolling towards me at a snails pace, not even bothered with what was happening, she apparently was 'fostering' the dog and wanted to see how she behaved off the lead, now my thoughts are, wait until you are in the middle of an open field and then see how obedient she would be, not right by other dogs or people, just in case.

Anyway, this woman was a completely irresponsible person imho and should NOT have a dog this size and she clearly could not cope, i struggled a bit too, it was like a horse....the dog is from the St Bernards trust in Fife and 'on trial' with this woman to see how they get on. I got the number for the St Bernards trust and had a little moan at them, they have offered to pay all vet bills (so far 100 quid) but as they are a charity and they have been so nice about it all, i feel reluctant to take their money as they are doing a good job and i wouldnt want to take money from a charity, i think it is the foster owners responsibility not the trusts, what would you do, take the money or just put it down to 'one of those things' ?? the St Bernard is now in kennels waiting to be assesed.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 AM
mk2rstaff
PassionFord Post Whore!!

seems a bit of a bad one that mate and a strange situation to be in. i would take the money from the foster owner or at least hope she gave the cost back to the charity. if not i would report her to the charity or rspca and make a point that she is unfit to have a dog of that size as she surely is not capable
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

it should be the woman that pays for the vet bills... i hate stuff liek this... i have 2 dogs of my own, 2 collie dogs, so they can be "playfull" and they are very strong... god knows what a st Bernard is like! especially when it takes you by surprise... i know its not nice taking money off the charity, but unless you can get the woman to pay, or pay for it yourself, you might not have much choice... hope yours is ok!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Richie, I think ultimately it's the 'owner' that's responsible for the dog, not the dopey woman who was walking it unfortunately. In this case it seems that the dog is owned by the St Bernards Trust.

I'd feel the same way as you about taking money off a charity It's a hard one to call Is your dog insured? If so, make a claim and ask the Trust just to pay the excess fee.

Hope your dog recovers ok.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:11 AM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree, this is something I always worry about when out with my dog,I would be fxxcking furious if this happened to my dog and would do what ever I could to make the 'foster' owner pay, it doesn't sound like she knew how to control the dog at all (what if it had killed your dog-doesn't bear thinking about ) and all because she quite fancied a dog I thought these re homing charities vetted potential owners first, doesn't seem as if she had any prior experience of handling big dogs

I'm not sure if I would take the charities money BUT I would want some assurance that she wouldn't be offered that dog or any other if she couldn't handle it.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop
Richie, I think ultimately it's the 'owner' that's responsible for the dog, not the dopey woman who was walking it unfortunately. In this case it seems that the dog is owned by the St Bernards Trust.

I'd feel the same way as you about taking money off a charity It's a hard one to call Is your dog insured? If so, make a claim and ask the Trust just to pay the excess fee.

Its the Walkers responsibility for the dog, I know this as I have had first hand experience as our greyhound attacked 2 dogs a while ago, she was on a lead by slipped it, My dad owned her and my sister was walking her, My sister was then reported by the dogs owner and had to pay part of the costs of the vet bills for the other 2 dogs which in totall was £3.5k

The police told dad that he was not the one walking the dog therefor its down to my sister.

My dad had our dog put to sleep in fear she would attack again she has never done it before but couldnt run the risk of her injuring another dog or maybe a person.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Richie Russ

It's a tough one to call, im not the sort of person to kick up a fuss, but if it was a smaller dog with an elderly person, it would have been mauled to death no doubt, it would have kept going at mine if i hadnt of dragged it off, even though it could have gone for me, i could have throttled the dog when i had hold of it !!

My dog has a huge hole from a tooth in her back which now has an absess, she has a bite mark on her neck too which doesnt look too bad, she has had an injection so hopefully she will be ok, she seems a bit down but more than anything i am now a little worried how my dog will react with other dogs and possibly anyone (kids) poking her etc
Old 01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

if you introduce her slowly, so with you playing with her, then friends, then see how she reacts to friends kids or something, then take her on walks, but keep her on the lead... etc... see how she reacts, if its badly then you may have to re-train her unfortunately...
Old 01-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by SassyRS

Its the Walkers responsibility for the dog, I know this as I have had first hand experience as our greyhound attacked 2 dogs a while ago, she was on a lead by slipped it, My dad owned her and my sister was walking her, My sister was then reported by the dogs owner and had to pay part of the costs of the vet bills for the other 2 dogs which in totall was £3.5k

The police told dad that he was not the one walking the dog therefor its down to my sister.

My dad had our dog put to sleep in fear she would attack again she has never done it before but couldnt run the risk of her injuring another dog or maybe a person.
I did say 'I think' as I wasn't absolutely 100% sure, but thanks for that info Sorry to hear about your dog

When I'm walking my dog (a big GSD) I always put her on the lead as soon as I see another person walking a dog in the distance, but it really pisses me off when the other person doesn't put theirs on a lead and lets it run up to mine and then say 'it's alright it's friendly' I always reply 'yeah it might well be but you don't know that mine is friendly, you fucking irresponsible idiot'!! As it is, mine is overly friendly, but is very boisterous and just wants to play, but for all they know she could be very nasty and dangerous
Old 01-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Richie Russ

I did say 'I think' as I wasn't absolutely 100% sure, but thanks for that info Sorry to hear about your dog

When I'm walking my dog (a big GSD) I always put her on the lead as soon as I see another person walking a dog in the distance, but it really pisses me off when the other person doesn't put theirs on a lead and lets it run up to mine and then say 'it's alright it's friendly' I always reply 'yeah it might well be but you don't know that mine is friendly, you fucking irresponsible idiot'!! As it is, mine is overly friendly, but is very boisterous and just wants to play, but for all they know she could be very nasty and dangerous
My thoughts exactly !!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad has raced grehounds for 20 years, and always kept them on as retired greyhounds, as alot of people have them destroyed after there racing career is over, Lucy had been with dad for 7 years and he was gutted. My dad is disabled and has cancer so thats the main reason my sister walked her, he said its doubtful he will have another dog now.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
christianh3

Originally Posted by Richie Russ

My thoughts exactly !!
And mine!

Just got in from walking my dog on a large local field...yet again some idiot just let their own dog run at us.

Put your fucking dogs on a lead if it's not trained to stick by you off a lead.

DICKS!

btw, take the money.