General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MSD's ALS feature in Fast Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by Stavros
Rick,
I think a smaller turbine will have less rotational inertia for the exhaust gases to overcome.
he said exhaust housing, not turbine wheel your reffering to
The exhaust housing is sized to suit the turbines
i can barely think of a turbo that hasnt got any turbine housing a/r options.

they not hybrids, they just different options to suit an engines characteristics.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stav,
But usually it is sized to flow a certain amount of air and then it has options on the housing in an attempt to suit as many engine size applications as possible. Normal you get a choice of three or four aspect ratios.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:02 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many pages

And what have we learned,

1) my very first post saying that Stu was keeping it simple for everyone to understand is true.

2) Mike needs experience to understand things but has none

3) Stu was a fat bloke but now is has trimmed up

4) Chip and Tony are c*nts. (Which I disagree)

Old 05-08-2007, 09:01 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

this post has grown since i went away for a few days

despite all the for him so far, there is still something that i think mike is slightly wrong with though

The thing I can't get my head around, is that as soon as you get back on the throttle, the ALS disengages, so there needs to be sufficient energy in the turbine to over-come the inertia of the turbo and keep it spinning sufficiently until it reaches the boost threshold and the energy from the exhaust gasses takes over.
the bigger the turbo, the more inertia the wheels & shaft will have (assuming same materials etc). so if you get that shaft spinning with ALS it will keep spinning for longer with a higher inertia whereas it reads to me like mike is saying it will slow down quicker once back on the gas and the ALS switches off
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not read all this topic, 9 pages... fook that

But Mike,

I agree with what you say, however the way you put/explain ALS makes it sound a bit shit, as if it doesn't actually help that much.

I'm sure that is infact DOES, and don't forget Stu is marketing his own product so he must try and make it sound as appealing as possible

The rest of the confusion I believe is down to mistaken meanings or use of different "terms" i.e boost threshold etc
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by smidsy

But Mike,

I agree with what you say, however the way you put/explain ALS makes it sound a bit shit, as if it doesn't actually help that much.

I'm sure that is infact DOES, and don't forget Stu is marketing his own product so he must try and make it sound as appealing as possible

The rest of the confusion I believe is down to mistaken meanings or use of different "terms" i.e boost threshold etc
Mate, I don't belive for 1 second Stu would try to make somthing sound better than it is to sell it, bit of a harsh comment there
Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im bored
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Im bored
how many thou oversized and will it affect the use of only one supplier of pistons?
also will it affect the amount of boost yu will produce?

again, this is based on the meat and pies aspect of the thread
Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

My meat pie went cold on page 6.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Originally Posted by smidsy

But Mike,

Mate, I don't belive for 1 second Stu would try to make somthing sound better than it is to sell it, bit of a harsh comment there
Alright maybe that came out wrong then...

Instead of using terms like "boost threshold" he'd say something else to try and explain it as simply as possible. Then Mike has got hold of these with his term correctness syndrome and we now have this topic!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Smidsey,
In my own experience "ALS" does nothing more than remove the lag in the true sense of the description of "lag", otherwise it would be called something else . It does exactly what it says on the in, so I think your assumption of that it doesn't seem to be the miracle everyone thinks it is, is actually quite accurate.

However, this improvement in lag is definitely worth while IMO and the car feels amazingly responsive within it's boost threshold - so much so, that it feels like a smaller turbo has been fitted.

But even with my 1 bar absolute set up on my car, I experimented on the way home last night and it still feels no different outside it's boost threshold. However, I haven't had a chance to datalog yet.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Rick,
I think a smaller turbine will have less rotational inertia for the exhaust gases to overcome.
he said exhaust housing, not turbine wheel your reffering to
The exhaust housing is sized to suit the turbines, or are you talking about using smaller/larger ones of the same family to create "hybrids" ?
On a T34 Mike, you can get a .48 a .55 or a .63 exhaust housing.

The larger housing (.63) is slower to spool, but better flowing at the top end.

Hope that helps
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I know you can, as I have had every single one of those on my cars at some point .

I was meaning the generic ones that weren't originally designed for a specific application. They often have a much wider range of turbine wheel / compressor wheel / exhaust a/r size to suit varying capacities and applications in the guise of a generic name "GT30" or "GT35".
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Chip

I know you can, as I have had every single one of those on my cars at some point .
Well then you shouldnt be so surprised they exist
Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Lets not forget the smaller the turbine housing, the more exhaust restriction
Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by 68332
I dont think we did mate, hence I said about the larger housing:

but better flowing at the top end
Old 06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

It's not quite as straight forward as that, and I "think" what Simon is hinting at is also where I made a similar comment. What I meant by this is that where you "think" a particular size is restricting spool up because it is too big, by going bigger on the turbine housing actually frees up the restriction and instead of raising the boost threshold point, it actually lowers it, where-as if you had made it smaller, you would have increased back-pressure and made it worse .
Old 06-08-2007, 10:43 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Mike,

Spot on.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I see you have been thinking about this all weekend mike.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

It's not quite as straight forward as that, and I "think" what Simon is hinting at is also where I made a similar comment. What I meant by this is that where you "think" a particular size is restricting spool up because it is too big, by going bigger on the turbine housing actually frees up the restriction and instead of raising the boost threshold point, it actually lowers it, where-as if you had made it smaller, you would have increased back-pressure and made it worse .

Absolutely, what you are talking about of course is that it increased the engines ability to flow (by reducing pumping losses)

Like you so rightly point out, the turbo and the engine need to be considered as a package not just on their own
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Roll on 10 pages
Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

despite all the for him so far, there is still something that i think mike is slightly wrong with though

The thing I can't get my head around, is that as soon as you get back on the throttle, the ALS disengages, so there needs to be sufficient energy in the turbine to over-come the inertia of the turbo and keep it spinning sufficiently until it reaches the boost threshold and the energy from the exhaust gasses takes over.
the bigger the turbo, the more inertia the wheels & shaft will have (assuming same materials etc). so if you get that shaft spinning with ALS it will keep spinning for longer with a higher inertia whereas it reads to me like mike is saying it will slow down quicker once back on the gas and the ALS switches off
any comment on this mike?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:15 PM
dojj

but won't you still be flowing more air at any given turbo rpm than the smaller ones?

i thought thats why you dind't need so much boost on a bigger turbo as per one of the explanations stu gave (possibly) when he was on about compressor maps and stuff way back?
so even if you were going to be bolting a big arse turbo on, the als, even when you put your foot down and turned it off, would still be giving that turbo less slow down speeds once it was off as it's got more mass, and therefore, more inertia/momentum to keep it spinning longer
?
the way i see it, mike may be right in asking if the inial spool up speed will be compromised with a bigger turbo, but after tha, i can't see any downsides other than the heat/mram shaft issue
Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by A J
Roll on 10 pages
10 pages it is
Old 06-08-2007, 02:23 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

So who is right then ?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:27 PM
dojj

but i asked a question, rather than making a post about turning it to ten pages
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

In my experience, it doesn't seem to work like that. As soon as you come off the throttle on a T4, the boost drops off pretty dramatically, and then seems to take a LOT longer to spool back up than say a T34 (of any housing size). If what you were saying was true, then lag would decrease with bigger turbos, not increase - as the exhaust gases seem to generate more rotational engergy than ALS, yet still you get more lag with a bigger turbo .
Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

I suppose it depends how much the RPM drops once you have changed
from one gear to another.

So you could say the "lag" is dependant on gearbox type/ratios etc ... another factor
Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

In my experience, it doesn't seem to work like that. As soon as you come off the throttle on a T4, the boost drops off pretty dramatically, and then seems to take a LOT longer to spool back up than say a T34 (of any housing size). If what you were saying was true, then lag would decrease with bigger turbos, not increase - as the exhaust gases seem to generate more rotational engergy than ALS, yet still you get more lag with a bigger turbo .
with a larger turbo, and hence a higher inertia, of course the lag (without ALS) will be worse. it takes more energy to get the bigger mass spinning so the time needed will be longer.

but what i'm trying to say is that i expect a bigger turbo with a higher inertia to be more likely to keep boosting once the ALS is de-activated by coming back on the throttle - once it is spinning, the higher inertia keeps it spinning and that is self perpetuating in the way chip describes when he was talking about when NOS is used but then runs out
Old 06-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Nick,
I have not experienced ALS on anything other than a T4, so I couldn't answer that. If the smaller turbo has LESS retained inertia than a big one, then ALS must be wank on a smaller turbo, whereas Stav's experience of it seems to be the opposite.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:04 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

If the smaller turbo has LESS retained inertia than a big one
by definition it does

then ALS must be wank on a smaller turbo, whereas Stav's experience of it seems to be the opposite.
maybe the differences that you both have experience of are just due to different settings then
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I don't know if this input help anything but I experienced positive boost at idle(ish) engine speed (I will explain) on T4. This was a car running T4 of Escort Cosworth race car but I presume in rather small trim. Anyway the ALS was made as it is made on group N cars nowadays - 20+% open throttle constant (Evo and Impreza stepper motors are unable to open the throttle enough so it's just bleked and won't close below that). The car was running Motec and with ALS on it wouldn'd fall below nearly 4000 rpm, with ALS of it would idle like all GrpN. rallycars - very rough between 1500 and 2000 rpm and with very hiigh EGT's at idle, as idle speed is managed by retarding and advancing ignition.

Although I must admit Mike is kind of right - it was still laggy at low revs it was much better then with ALS of. I never went far into detail of mapping the car I was only once let drive it.

Another thing I can put here is that from my experience with rally cars (we suply parts for Group N teams and have good contacts with them) they don't really run to rev's so low so they cannot get any boost. In special stage ECU mode they simply won['t fall to such revs, but they have very modern turbos and quite small at the same time.

By the way - it's sad to see a thread with such a atmosphere after long time without looking to the PF.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

So you could say the "lag" is dependant on gearbox type/ratios etc ... another factor
a pretty MAJOR factor i would say, but then how many people have experiance on close ratio gearboxes in turbocharged cars ?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by markk
a pretty MAJOR factor i would say, but then how many people have experiance on close ratio gearboxes in turbocharged cars ?

Me me me

I have company car with short-ratio gearbox. In fact too short one...
Old 06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Azrael

Me me me

what about with ALS ?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Me
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Smidsey,
In my own experience "ALS" does nothing more than remove the lag in the true sense of the description of "lag", otherwise it would be called something else . It does exactly what it says on the in, so I think your assumption of that it doesn't seem to be the miracle everyone thinks it is, is actually quite accurate.

However, this improvement in lag is definitely worth while IMO and the car feels amazingly responsive within it's boost threshold - so much so, that it feels like a smaller turbo has been fitted.

But even with my 1 bar absolute set up on my car, I experimented on the way home last night and it still feels no different outside it's boost threshold. However, I haven't had a chance to datalog yet.
Mike,

I've never been in a car with antilag, but it's just the way you describe it that does not make it sound like a miracle - as most seem to assume that it does actually make the turbo spool up quicker

Data logging would be very interesting
Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Azrael

Me me me

what about with ALS ?
I did not have both in car to drive by myself. We are just finishing hill-climbing race car (Evo) that has both and do-box as well. We'll see
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Only on Page 2 but its late so tagging for another day
Old 06-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Redkop

Me
Me too

Quick Reply: MSD's ALS feature in Fast Ford