General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

MSD's ALS feature in Fast Ford

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2007, 04:06 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Originally Posted by dojj
Originally Posted by Stavros
Thats not really what I was asking Mike was it.

Basically mine, for example, would still see anything from 29 to 23 psi on the over run (full boost was 30psi), and wheras I cant exactly remember what it went to at low rpm, im certain what your saying is not the case by a long shot on a good setup, and seems TonyTurbosystems agrees...

Your not trying to learn owt IMO, you were, as you were on an earlier thread, giving it loads saying ALS doesnt change the boost threshold at all, properly categorically stating it, down the point where you taking the piss outa others for saying it did.

And in my experience with a setup that works properly, unlike your wowfully under airflowed one it does.
Stav,
I posted my understanding of it, which contradicts with Stu's and just wanted to clarify, hense the discussion .

However, I can see a way round it as someone (thanks Lynne ) has kindly sent me the link to the Autronic's site. But shit, I wouldn't like that version on my car . The Autonic suggests upping the idle from anything between 2500 to 4000 with the ALS activated . Can you imagine approaching a corner and wanting the car to slow down, but not being able to as the car won't go below 4000rpm and is generating shit loads of boost when you want to be stopping, not accelerating .
all the better for some 2wd tail out action then

ok, for the benifit of those who don't understand wtf you are on about (me for example) wtf are you on about?

after reading stu's article it seems that if you make the timing go forwards so that the feul is still igniting after tdc then this reslutant explosion is going to be carrying on AFTER the piston is coming up for it's exhaust stroke, thus forcing the combusted charge out of the exhaust valves and, thus, giving the turbo a bit of a kick
when you put your foot on the throttle, the advance/retard settings go back to the throttle contorled openings/settings as per normal running at what ever boost levels/temps/etc they are mapped for
This was exactly what I was pointing out, so as soon as you get on the throttle, the inertia of the turbo would no longer be being overcome by the ALS , so it would slow back down to the speed matched by the exhaust gases then coming out of the engine. If these were less than the amount that was required to hold the boost at a certain figure (as in the particular boost threshold), then the boost would drop back down, until the exhaust gases reached the required speed to bring the turbo back on boost. This is why it is not a magical cure for bringing the turbine into operation any earlier when you are wanting to pull away.
ok, i can see where you are getting at here now
so, als on it's own is ok to get the turbo spinning, but once it's spinning, as soo as you press the throttle, the cause of the spinning (the als map) returns to the normal map and the turbo then slows down as per normal
which would also explain why the higher idle is employed to get around this problem as well
but that has it's own problems because you can't slow down when you come to a roundabout

would it not be a better option therefore, to have the als map coming in automaticly when you turn it on and don't have your foot on the throttle so as to keep the turbo spinning up?

still doesn't help with the launch control scenario, but it does help making the problem more understandable

cheers mike
Old 31-07-2007, 04:07 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Surprised you made this topic to have a dig at me Mike, even going to the trouble of putting my company name in the title!!
He didnt, he started it to pretend he was clever, having a dig at a tuner who isnt Harvey was just a bonus for him

I knew this topic was going to get reckless.
Old 31-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised you made this topic to have a dig at me Mike, even going to the trouble of putting my company name in the title!!
He didnt, he started it to pretend he was clever, having a dig at a tuner who isnt Harvey was just a bonus for him
That really hurts if you SERIOUSLY think that .

I have PM'd Stu.
Old 31-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That really hurts if you SERIOUSLY think that .

I have PM'd Stu.
Mike, it really compliments me if my opinion matters enough for something I say to really hurt

Seriously though, I know you are a "term nerd" and im sure that was 99% of the reason you posted this topic not anything I joked about then
Old 31-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically mine, for example, would still see anything from 29 to 23 psi on the over run (full boost was 30psi), and wheras I cant exactly remember what it went to at low rpm, im certain what your saying is not the case by a long shot on a good setup, and seems TonyTurbosystems agrees...

Your not trying to learn owt IMO, you were, as you were on an earlier thread, giving it loads saying ALS doesnt change the boost threshold at all, properly categorically stating it, down the point where you taking the piss outa others for saying it did.

And in my experience with a setup that works properly, unlike your wowfully under airflowed one it does.
Stav,
I posted my understanding of it, which contradicts with Stu's and just wanted to clarify, hense the discussion .

However, I can see a way round it as someone (thanks Lynne ) has kindly sent me the link to the Autronic's site. But shit, I wouldn't like that version on my car . The Autonic suggests upping the idle from anything between 2500 to 4000 with the ALS activated . Can you imagine approaching a corner and wanting the car to slow down, but not being able to as the car won't go below 4000rpm and is generating shit loads of boost when you want to be stopping, not accelerating .

ok, for the benifit of those who don't understand wtf you are on about (me for example) wtf are you on about?

after reading stu's article it seems that if you make the timing go forwards so that the feul is still igniting after tdc then this reslutant explosion is going to be carrying on AFTER the piston is coming up for it's exhaust stroke, thus forcing the combusted charge out of the exhaust valves and, thus, giving the turbo a bit of a kick
when you put your foot on the throttle, the advance/retard settings go back to the throttle contorled openings/settings as per normal running at what ever boost levels/temps/etc they are mapped for
This was exactly what I was pointing out, so as soon as you get on the throttle, the inertia of the turbo would no longer be being overcome by the ALS , so it would slow back down to the speed matched by the exhaust gases then coming out of the engine. If these were less than the amount that was required to hold the boost at a certain figure (as in the particular boost threshold), then the boost would drop back down, until the exhaust gases reached the required speed to bring the turbo back on boost. This is why it is not a magical cure for bringing the turbine into operation any earlier when you are wanting to pull away.
so, als on it's own is ok to get the turbo spinning, but once it's spinning, as soo as you press the throttle, the cause of the spinning (the als map) returns to the normal map and the turbo then slows down as per normal
which would also explain why the higher idle is employed to get around this problem as well
but that has it's own problems because you can't slow down when you come to a roundabout

would it not be a better option therefore, to have the als map coming in automaticly when you turn it on and don't have your foot on the throttle so as to keep the turbo spinning up?

still doesn't help with the launch control scenario, but it does help making the problem more understandable

cheers mike
blind leading the blind
Old 31-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
I meant in the way that if YOU thought that, then other people could / would as well, when all I wanted to do was start a cool discussion about ALS .
Old 31-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Stav,

cheers mike
blind leading the blind
Then enlighten us .
Old 31-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Chip

Chip,
I meant in the way that if YOU thought that, then other people could / would as well, when all I wanted to do was start a cool discussion about ALS .
No good trying to backpedal now ive realised how much you love me
Old 31-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Chip,
No good trying to backpedal now ive realised how much you love me
Damn, now Phil will be sending me PM's about favourtism (again ) .
Old 31-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Just read this, and I'm surprised at some of Stu's comments .

The first paragraph which describes "lag" should be describing "turbo spool-up" or "threshold".
I have just wasted ten minutes reading and re-reading my first paragraph and i am happy it is accurate.

I said in fast Ford this month: (Part i suspect you are questioning is in bold...)

Originally Posted by Stu in FF this month
EVER since the turbocharger was conceived a global problem has always been the amount of time it takes to create boost pressure. With any 1.6 or 2-litre engine making good power you will invariably find a Turbocharger that is not quite suited to the engine, in that it takes a long time after pressing the accelerator for it to consume enough air through the turbine to generate good boost pressure. This time delay between pressing the accelerator and receiving boost is called turbo lag and it’s a real pain when you are changing gear, or even just backing off the throttle for a corner. On a rally stage, this delay can win and lose races by quite a margin, so every bit of turbo lag that can be removed is well worth it. What we need is some form of ‘anti’ turbo lag (ALS) device.

Garret themselves say:
What is Turbo Lag?
Turbo lag is the time delay of boost response after the throttle is opened when operating above the boost threshold engine speed.
Link:

I stand by my articles first paragraph, and will leave you to spend the evening looking at all th other paragraphs for parts where i or Garret may well be wrong. Incidentally, i have personally fitted and mapped 4 cars with ALS in the past 6 days. That includes sunday when i didnt work at all. I presume you have done more than that Mike given you know so much more about it than me?

I am always happy to be corrected and learn more if i dont quite understand soemthing.. i would be foolish not to be happy i had increased my knowledge, but i assure you that if i wanted to corerct something you had wrote, i would have found a more private medium to have done so.

I had been wondering why you and Jen ignored my wedding invitation too, but this topic makes me think i must have somehow upset you at some point without realising... So for whatever it was, i am sorry, but you could have just called...
Old 31-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Disclaimer: **
I am off for an hours sparring with my daughter now so dont expect any reply from me until 8PM +

(* Just in case anyone suggests i am franticly phoning a friend or desperately scouring the internet for answers to the no doubt many arguments that will be here when i get back. roflol)
Old 31-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Chip

Sparring?

What martial art does she do then mate?
Old 31-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Stu,
1. Garret are agreeing with ME . Reading what you put, YOU forgot to mention about being in the boost threshold, which is completely different to what I / them are saying - your comments are what most ASSUME lag is, the fact that you have worded it slightly differently to Garrett, means that this misnoma will be perpetuated and not ammended to reflect the true "Garrett" explanation - that is all I was getting at .

2. The only reason why I have not responded to your wedding invitation is that the day clashes with Croft, which I have had booked up quite some time before I received your VERY kind invitation . However, given my current problems with the car not being ready and until recently (as in this week), not knowing when it would be, I did not want to say I couldn't come if it turned out that I in fact could. Apologies if this has given you any reason to think that you may have offended me. If that had been the case, I would not have been worried that I had offended you as per my PM as soon as I saw your comments on the previous page .

Now that is cleared up, please help me get my head round how ALS impoves the boost threshold , as I have ONLY ever experienced it with a T4 and have noticed no improvement in this what-so-ever .

PS. Don't expect a reply from me until the morning, as I am off to our club night and it will be time for my bed when I get home, as I have man-flu .
Old 31-07-2007, 05:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Sparring?

depending on how old she is, running around and bashing stuff with whatever comes to hand most likely
Old 31-07-2007, 05:57 PM
4x4 ste
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Sparring?

Karate, i think and good too
Old 31-07-2007, 06:46 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Mike,

Wouldnt it be quicker for Harvey to register on here himself

Experience counts for much, try it sometime
Old 31-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

ALS does lower the boost threshold. 1 bar of boost at idle rpm is common in some setups, and this needs a significant amount of gas flow/energy. Open the throttle now, and depending on the map, the strategy changes and the ALS completely turns off at some point. However, at this point you still have a significant amount of exhaust energy, the engine will accelerate hard, always maintaining positive pressure. You often see a drop in the boost from say the initial 15 psi, down to 7-8, and then it will quickly ramp up. Essentially, there is no longer a boost threshold.

Now in slightly more scientific terms:

The reason a turbocharger is feasible, is that it consumes significantly less power being driven, than it produces at the flywheel. Approx. 10% of the energy needed to drive the turbo is gained "for free". By this i mean that the this energy would normally go to waste as heat lost to the atmosphere through the exhaust system. Above thhis figure, it is necessary to inject extra fuel, with extra mass air flow, which in turn produces more heat to drive the turbine faster. So, even though the turbine extracts significant energy or exhaust enthalpy, from the exhaust gas, there always remains a large percentage of the original waste heat - waste heat that the turbo simply doesn't need to do its job.

The problem therefore, is with spooling up the turbo in the first place - once it is spinning, it will consume less power than it produces, regardless of rpm. What ALS actually does, is spins up the turbo, and uses ALL the energy from the fuel it is burning to drive itself faster - instead of giving this energy to the flywheel - its basically working as a jet engine. Once spinning and producing boost, you can load the engine to the point it will slow down below the "boost threshold" and yet still be producing boost. 1 bar at 2000rpm produces more energy than is needed to make 1 bar at 2000rpm - the ALS allows this condition which would not be possible without it.

I realise i haven't written this particularly well - it's been a while since i did all my thermodynamics stuff - but i hope it's of value to the topic.

Rick.
Old 31-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..Mike i do beleive you should ditch the escos and get a normally aspirated car so you dont get turbo issues
Old 31-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Sparring?

How it came about is a long story chip, which i will tell you on MSN, but Steph and I both do karate and Kickboxing 3 hours a week with a 4 hour course every 3rd saturday too.
Old 31-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Stu,
1. Garret are agreeing with ME . Reading what you put, YOU forgot to mention about being in the boost threshold, which is completely different to what I / them are saying - your comments are what most ASSUME lag is, the fact that you have worded it slightly differently to Garrett, means that this misnoma will be perpetuated and not ammended to reflect the true "Garrett" explanation - that is all I was getting at ..

But you didnt "get at" that at all, what you did is suggest what i said was wrong, and it wasnt. Ok, i can agree that maybe mentioning the boost threshold would have helped readers understand the difference, but it wasnt actually relevant to my article in my opinion as i was Writing about LAG. The FEATURE was about LAG and the product in question is called ANTI LAG. LAG... was the topic, so no, i didnt mention boost threshold, and nor did i mention meat and potatoe pies.. as the article was not about boost thresholds or meat and potato fooking pies.

The only reason why I have not responded to your wedding invitation is that the day clashes with Croft, which I have had booked up quite some time before I received your VERY kind invitation .
Thats fine Mike, but a simple text/e-mail/PM/call would have been helpfull as my reminder text stated as i had to pay per guest. It has been 2 months after all.

Anyway, this isnt the time or place for this discussion and i appologise for even mentioning it on this topic, it was childish and unlike me. Sorry.

Apologies if this has given you any reason to think that you may have offended me. If that had been the case, I would not have been worried that I had offended you as per my PM as soon as I saw your comments on the previous page
Well i am pleased thats the case, i am obviously just paranoid and wromngly assumed ignoring one was possible by accident, but not the reminder. End of story.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lets not forget everybody that with mike were talking about a man technical enough to try (after a call to harvey from germany ) and repair a split hose on a red hot engine and burn himself in the same spot a million times i hear rumour he also got his tongue stuck to a ski lift once too

Steph and I both do karate and Kickboxing 3 hours a week with a 4 hour course every 3rd saturday too.
good man stu i hope she isnt tanning your arse just yet. some of the juniors ive seen spar where i train are scary to say the least. if she is just get her down your gym and have a bench press competition with her ROFLOL
Old 31-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Steph and I both do karate and Kickboxing 3 hours a week with a 4 hour course every 3rd saturday too.
good man stu i hope she isnt tanning your arse just yet. some of the juniors ive seen spar where i train are scary to say the least. if she is just get her down your gym and have a bench press competition with her ROFLOL[/quote]

LOL. Steph has a real confidence problem which is a shame as it means she doesnt know how good she actually is. Kids just blare in dont they... fearless, never been truly hurt so dont fear it. A 10 second flurry of ridgehands, roundhouses and backfists to pretty much anything they can reach... Little skill, Big bravado!
Old 31-07-2007, 09:30 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stu @ M Developments

Maybe in the future, would it be possible for you to write an article on the difference between lag and boost threshold
Old 31-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Stu @ M Developments
Maybe in the future, would it be possible for you to write an article on the difference between lag and boost threshold
Its not really a big enough topic to cover to be honest, but i suppose i could do one on Turbo terminology and include Area Radius, turbine and compressor trims etc etc....
Old 31-07-2007, 09:41 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

stab in the dark here having not read all the posts in this thread.
YOU CAN HAVE FULL BOOST AT IDLE IF YOU WISH WITH
WILD ALS.
mike the energy that you refer to is the airflow/heat energy
of the exhaust gases as exits the engine normally following
combustion in the conventional manner, however if you have
the combustion in the exhaust manifold then the energy is
different in someway possibly expotentially and is enough
to spool the turbo to boost regardless of engine rpm???
Old 31-07-2007, 09:48 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu @ M Developments
Its not really a big enough topic to cover to be honest, but i suppose i could do one on Turbo terminology and include Area Radius, turbine and compressor trims etc etc....
That would be superb if possible. Also the other term i forgot to add previously was surge, so maybe add that in too
Old 31-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

The other term i forgot to add previously was surge, so maybe add that in too
Allready done that, best call up for back issues.
Old 31-07-2007, 09:55 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what issue? ill dig it out now and read it before i go to bed
Old 31-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Understanding compressor maps. July 2006 Issue241
Old 31-07-2007, 09:58 PM
tony_turbo
Regular Contributor

Stu @ M Developments

what about an article on the differences between lag and meat an potato pies?
Old 31-07-2007, 10:00 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Understanding compressor maps. July 2006 Issue241
Thanks Stu
Old 01-08-2007, 06:00 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by T S M
Mike you are being pedantic als offers positive boost at rpm levels far lower that non als
als is rpm specific in the map
No I'm not, I'm trying to start a thread to learn something .

I realise it offers positive boost at lower levels you thick twat, however, I'm trying to get my head around the fact that it switches off at a certain throttle angle, so unless the turbo has a specific amount of inertia, the turbo slows down to the point where it does not affect the boost threshold on a big turbo. I am therefore trying to establish how much inertia would be required to keep the turbo spinning fast enough so that by the time the boost threshold had been reached, the exhaust gas speed takes over and keeps the turbine speed up.

I can't see how it can .
Do you not as a moderator think the above post requires moderating
As thick twats go I am not the one having trouble getting my head around als operation.
Perhaps your topic should have been "Can some one please explain how als works rather than start the topic attacking stu's article
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Matt
lets not forget everybody that with mike were talking about a man technical enough to try (after a call to harvey from germany ) and repair a split hose on a red hot engine and burn himself in the same spot a million times i hear rumour he also got his tongue stuck to a ski lift once too
Matt,
WTF are you on about , I first thought it was the dump valve leaking, so I asked him if he thought it would be okay to remove the DV to test the theory, but he advised against it. I burnt myself on the supplementary radiator that sits above the normal one trying to get the DV out to have a look at it, and if you have ever seen how tight me engine bay is, then you will know there's room for fag papers and that's about it . Upon checking the DV, this seemed to be all okay anyway(was fully sealing), so I then stripped the whole induction system out to check the turbo to intercooler pipe, which being fully heat wrapped had no evidence of leaks. It wasn't until the final jubilee clip was removed and the pipe pulled off that you could see that where the heatwrap stopped (where the jubilee clip was on the last part of the end of the pipe) that the heat transfer from the ALS into the jubilee had melted the hose underneath the clamp and this is where it was leaking. I cut this back, made sure the heatwrap was underneath the jubilee and it held okay for the rest of the time at the Ring. However, don't let the facts get in the way of your story, I like your version so much better .
Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Stu,
1. Garret are agreeing with ME . Reading what you put, YOU forgot to mention about being in the boost threshold, which is completely different to what I / them are saying - your comments are what most ASSUME lag is, the fact that you have worded it slightly differently to Garrett, means that this misnoma will be perpetuated and not ammended to reflect the true "Garrett" explanation - that is all I was getting at ..

But you didnt "get at" that at all, what you did is suggest what i said was wrong, and it wasnt. Ok, i can agree that maybe mentioning the boost threshold would have helped readers understand the difference, but it wasnt actually relevant to my article in my opinion as i was Writing about LAG. The FEATURE was about LAG and the product in question is called ANTI LAG. LAG... was the topic, so no, i didnt mention boost threshold, and nor did i mention meat and potatoe pies.. as the article was not about boost thresholds or meat and potato fooking pies.
Stu,
I was just pointing out that it seemed that you were saying lag was what MOST people "think" lag is (as in the time it takes for the turbo to spool up once the throttle has been pressed), and then you went on to say how ALS resolves this. The fact that you did not mention the boost threshold which is crucial in the true description of the word "lag", will lead people to think that ALS improves the boost threshold, where all it does is removes / improves the LAG as described by Garrett in the correct terminolgy.

I was just extremely surprised that you would miss this extremely crucial aspect out in describing lag, as it perpetuates the misnoma of lag being confused with boost threshold. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if you think it was a witch hunt, but as it was written by you, I obviously had to mention it etc.

Hope this clarifies adequately where I was coming from.

Also, I am now feeling extemely guilty about not replying to your text about the wedding, but I wanted to have some concrete information to give you, and for it not to sound wishy-washy or like I was making excuses. I can totally see how it must have seemed now that you have said . Problem was once I read the text, and realised I didn't have anything concrete to tell you at that time, I then forgot about it .

As to Tony, you can suck my big hairy balls .
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 AM
justin.e
Advanced PassionFord User

Mike,
I bet Tony has just grabbed his bus pass and is on his way to yours
Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Chip

How it came about is a long story chip, which i will tell you on MSN, but Steph and I both do karate and Kickboxing 3 hours a week with a 4 hour course every 3rd saturday too.

Is there anyone else in this thread who would be prepared to pay good money to see Stu's teenage daughter use those karate and kickboxing skills to kick the shit out of Mike for slagging off her dad?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
cosmo V6
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps your topic should have been "Can some one please explain how als works rather than start the topic attacking stu's article
excellent reply TSM

as opposed to diving straight in
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by cosmo V6
excellent reply TSM

as opposed to diving straight in
I think you will find that I do, hence why the post.... It's also blatently obvious by some of the posts that plenty of people that "think" they do, don't though .
Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Is there anyone else in this thread who would be prepared to pay good money to see Stu's teenage daughter use those karate and kickboxing skills to kick the shit out of Mike for slagging off her dad?
Me, would be a turn on .

Quick Reply: MSD's ALS feature in Fast Ford