General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Raising the driving age to 18

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2007, 08:55 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising the driving age to 18

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6904821.stm

Interesting article.

I agree - in principle- with some of the points. A structured syllabus would be an improvement, as would a minimum number of hours required before one could take the test.

What's interesting though is that amid the other tosh they're spouting (curfews etc), there's no mention of restricting the engine power anywhere in that piece which I believe strongly about, they do it with bikes so why not with cars, say 1.4 or under until you have been driving a year or two.

Discuss...
Old 20-07-2007, 09:05 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

limiting what HP you can drive is a good thing! they do it with bikes, so with a car it will be good! plus it may drive insurance down! as for the no driving at night and no passengers, its complete bollocks... what about those that work evenings? that finish around midnight? that currently need there car for work? most probably wont care much, but most makky D's close around 12... and not many staff are over 18...
Old 20-07-2007, 12:02 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Limiting bhp would be a good idea IMO.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:04 PM
dave_si
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

To be honest, what difference is there from driving at 17 as opposed to 18? Limiting the hp would be the far much more sensible option
Old 20-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I started a post months ago about limiting the power of new drivers cars and got a load of abuse for it. I still think it's a superb idea though
Old 20-07-2007, 12:06 PM
silky16v
Get on That!

we just just use the same system the Auzzie's have
Old 20-07-2007, 12:08 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

whats that?
Old 20-07-2007, 12:44 PM
timster

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can still kill yourself in a 1.1 fiesta though,can't really see an advantage in raising the age but I think personally they should do motorway driving as well as part of the test.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That won't change the standard it'll just price people off the road and increase the number of people driving with no license
Old 20-07-2007, 12:58 PM
OldSkoolRS

As it has been mentioned it would have to be hp not cc that the restriction is measured by..... the mk 5 1.4 golf come in a 170bhp version which is pretty quick, punto turbo etc etc.

Although to be fair I nearly killed myself in my Mum's Micra in my youth!

That said I think that there should be a tougher test introduced- 30 minutes driving around town doesn't really "test" your ability... there is no substitute for experience!
Old 20-07-2007, 01:04 PM
MK5RST
Advanced PassionFord User

I work for a vehicle recovery company and we have the police contract in this area, im only 21 myself and im sick fed up of having to get out of my bed between 2am and 5 am because some little c*** was trying to impress his mates with something like making his car go sideways at 70mph and his car is now down a banking or balancing on the central reservation i belive it shuld be raised to 18 and also limited engine power, ive just got in the fire brigade subject to passing a couple of tests, god knows what im gonna find there!!!!

RANT OVER
Old 20-07-2007, 01:13 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

unfortunately, short of fitting gps devices that monitor you 24/7 i doubt there is much you can do short of raising the age a bit and limiting power... as was said earlier, you can kill yourself in a fezzer... pricing people off the road wont work due to what is mentioned above...

supposedly on average you are 25 before you reach your full level of maturity... so there is talks of banning until you are 25... but they are only rumors...

i think the only realy way which they can stop this is get more cops on night patrol... there have been no-end of stupid drivers at 2am flying round corners not expecting anything on the otherside... when was the last time you saw a cop car driving about late at night?
Old 20-07-2007, 02:56 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good idea, then they can move onto old people next!!
tabetha
Old 20-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Nick.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why should they limit the power depending on your age.. not every young person drives like a cock
Old 20-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

I wouldnt mind them limiting the power(prefer if they didnt - but not that bad), but I would pissed off if they raised the driving age, as I really want to drive when I'm 17, not waiting an extra year.
Old 20-07-2007, 03:19 PM
fatboy billy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

i think the kerfue (sp) they where going to put in for young rivers is stupid so they cant drive in the dark until a certain age what abou winter etc wen it gets dark at 4 in the afternoon

im only 15 myself and i wouldnt mind driving a 1.1 fiesta at all i just wan to get on the rado when im 17 which will be next november if they dont raise it
Old 20-07-2007, 03:25 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What a load of bollocks...... The driving lessons should be structured, like a private pilots aircraft licence, min 20Hrs etc, you should have to be proficient in ALL aspects of driving before you get a licence. Include motorway driving and fast duel carridgeways , as well as stuff like that I did in my pass plus ( a great idea) like night driving, bad weather driving, busy city driving etc etc - Also do a lot more observation lessons/ hazard awareness etc, where it is safe to drive quickly and where it is not.. And bring in a propper driving test, not 30 mins driving at 40mph and reversing round a corner THAT would make a HUGE difference due to people being better safer drivers. But it won't happen as it will mean they can't fine people for driving poorly

All that is going to happen if they bring a stupid curfew in is more accidents and needless hazards as peolpe speed like fuck to get home before the curfew - what a fucking stupid idea that is, no wonder our government came up with it

And power limits are not an issue IMHO, I had my first 280BHP saff RWD cossie when I was 19, people need to learn with power comes responsibility , not have it forced on them so they are ragging a 1.2 corsa to shit and driving like a cnut.....

Also Drink Driving should carry an automatic 5 year ban the first time, lifetime ban for a second offence, that would make people think about thier actions a bit more carefully
Old 20-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
What a load of bollocks...... The driving lessons should be structured, like a private pilots aircraft licence, min 20Hrs etc
The dsa are currently looking into making learners have a minimum of 100 hours tuition before they can take their test.

I doubt very much that will ever happen though as it's unfair to students who are quick learners etc.
Old 20-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

IMO whether you have a 1.3 peugeot 106 rallye 103hp or a 1.3 nissan micra. The fact is that if you abuse your new license, you will stuff it.

I've never had under a 1.6 with 90bhp infact i've had over 130bhp turbocharged and never stuffed it.

Its all down to attitude whilst driving.
Old 21-07-2007, 07:57 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A J
Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
What a load of bollocks...... The driving lessons should be structured, like a private pilots aircraft licence, min 20Hrs etc
The dsa are currently looking into making learners have a minimum of 100 hours tuition before they can take their test.

I doubt very much that will ever happen though as it's unfair to students who are quick learners etc.
100 Hours a plane licence is only 45 Hrs
Old 21-07-2007, 11:54 PM
222tomb
Part of the Furniture

Default hi

what needs to happen is if the police see n stop a silly young boy racer chav is to slap the cun t with a fine then slap him n say u do that again im cumming round urs to slap ur mum then see what happens

no realy dont see the point in rasing the age to 18 or the power of the car cuz u can still do 70 in a 1.1 in a 30 zone only problem is a car like that wont be able to stop or handle at that speed but wont stop young drivers from try think if u gave a young boy a dodge viper for a first car he would drive it slower that a 1.1 fez because one rong press on the throtel would spin him off n make him look like a dick so he would drive it carmley

my first car was a xr2i at 18 insurance killed me but my drivein never did
Old 22-07-2007, 12:07 AM
luke89
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wat a load of bollox , i had 5 hours of lessions before my drivin test, and as said before not evey young person drives like a cock , i have drove many turbo cars and even had my mates mr2 turbo for a week , as well as being half way frow building a zt saph and have a xr3i with full turbo runnin gear and never stuffin anything apart from a civc with fuck all power were the front drivers side shock clapsed ! IMO if you havnt got the power you race around thingin your the dogs bollox at 17/18 in ur 1.4 saxo or wat ever if you got some power you no you dont need to!
Old 22-07-2007, 12:35 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Its crap as its been talked about for years now raising it to 18, IMO just another way of "ass" yankee gridlock control, keeping aRses off the roads. I agree though surely bringing in engine/power restrictions would be a better option but still you can kill in any car if you're an uneducated chav.

Like banning certain types of dog, games or movies, this will affect most decent people who can control a car or don't act like a twat more than thoses few who abuse it or are mentally fucked up.
Old 22-07-2007, 12:42 AM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Originally Posted by MK5RST
I work for a vehicle recovery company and we have the police contract in this area, im only 21 myself and im sick fed up of having to get out of my bed between 2am and 5 am because some little c*** was trying to impress his mates with something like making his car go sideways at 70mph and his car is now down a banking or balancing on the central reservation i belive it shuld be raised to 18 and also limited engine power, ive just got in the fire brigade subject to passing a couple of tests, god knows what im gonna find there!!!!

RANT OVER
I think you'll find the bits that are usually cleared up before you get a late night phone call in your present job!

Good luck! (I want to be a paramedic when I finish this job so I'll probably see you there!)

(BTW I think the legal driving age should be raised to 36 My insurance would be a pittance and they would legalise speeding!)