General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Has anyone been lucky enough to own an X-Type Jag??!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has anyone been lucky enough to own an X-Type Jag??!!!!!!!!!

As above i'm getting fed up with my mk4 Golf gti and fancy a big motor to smoke about in. The Golf has been superb but since coming back from the States I've got the big car thing on again (had a Chrysler 300c out there). The X-Types seem to be fookin cheap nowadays and seems a lot of car for the money. I know they are basically a Mondeo but I personally think they look miles better and the interiors are superb!

What are they like for reliability and costs for parts? (I'll do most of the work meself). Are the manual ones shite? And what is the best engine option? Not fussed about fuel consumption, performance etc but would prefer a petrol over a diesel!

Seen 51 platers going for 4k - 5k!! Would like a Lexus is200 but they seem to be a spit dearer.

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just buy a Mondeo and be done with it

I worked for Jaguar, and they're utter shite. I'd say the mondeos are actually better cars!
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fair comment Rab but why are they utter shite? I hated my last Mondeo so not gonna buy another one!!!!

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per Rab, awful awful cars, the equivalent Mondeo (which it shares most its bits with is actually MUCH better made (really noticable inside), looks more expensive on the inside up close (the Jag inside is a plastic horror even on the top models when viewd up close), and way faster due to the same engines but a lot more weight in the Jag.

Ive had use of a few for a while, and while its nice to pimp around in a brand new jag, anyone who goes in the car with you soon realises its dogshit really, nothing like a BM or Merc.

Just get an older V8 supercharged XJR if you want a jag, cheaper, faster, cooler, the lot.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was going to get one of these but ended up buying a 04 plate mondeo.......
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Rab

Originally Posted by cfoster
Fair comment Rab but why are they utter shite? I hated my last Mondeo so not gonna buy another one!!!!

Chris
Really piss poor build quality round the dash, lots of issues with the electronics behind the dash, and once the dash is out (quite common due to warranty work on the A/C) it never quite fits again and squeaks alot...

O2 sensors have a habit of giving up fairly regularly and seem to be Jag specific, about Ł130 IIRC. The only was to remove a fault code is through a Jag dealer and thats Diagnostic time, and is Ł100/hr..

Don't handle all that well, but on the plus side, very quiet on the inside at motorway speeds.

X-type R is quite a nice drive, not really very fast but sound nice. Make sure you get a manual, and make sure it's got at least 50k on it as most of the problems will have been ironed out by the previous owner
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Default Re: Has anyone been lucky enough to own an X-Type Jag??!!!!!

As above i'm getting fed up with my mk4 Golf gti and fancy a big motor to smoke about in.
They are actually not much bigger than the Golf mate... They are alot smaller than the Mondeo which they nick aload of bits from. I think they are ok. Stav is right though. XJR's are cool as fook....

I would also think about a high mileage 5 series....
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers chaps hmmm, seems like i may need a re-think!!!! Any ideas??!! I like the 5 series beemers as well but hard to find a clean for 5k ish!!

What shape XJR's you talking about??!!

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

The, erm, shape they nearly always have been, the 90s ones, 4litre 32valve supercharged V8, can be had from anything from about 3.5k for a tidy early one to 7-8k for a mint low miles late one, which is insane really as the equivalent age/condition M5 is double that.

Can get decent E39 BMW 5series for 5k or so, I got one coming soon, on a P tho, estate, lowered, 6series wheels, light smoke tints, etc, really nice car, tho im tempted to sell it actually
Rab

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www...00725289802577
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What about the straight 6 XJR?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:58 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah I know the shape Jag you mean now!!! Look quite nice as it goes but for some reason looks old!!!!!

Going completely back on what I said above just looked at Mondy's and there is a nice ST200 estate on there for 4k (53k on the clock and was used in Fast Ford as a buying guide).

They any good??
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Rab

Ah I know the shape Jag you mean now!!! Look quite nice as it goes but for some reason looks old!!!!!

Going completely back on what I said above just looked at Mondy's and there is a nice ST200 estate on there for 4k (53k on the clock and was used in Fast Ford as a buying guide).

They any good??
Yes indeed. Much better car mate!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I disagree.

X type V6 3.0 sport with dark trip dash is quite good.

When I was looking for a car to start my new job with I looked at them. Karlos reckons they're ok and the in my opinion the saloon is nice but the estate sport with all the kit on looks well.

Having said that... I did rate my TDCI mondeo quite highly.

Jake
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have got a TDCI Zetec and it is superb as a work car..very comfy on long journeys and superb on diesel..............i would recommend them
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i haventy been that lucky thank fook
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had an X-Type within the company from new. Is the 3.0S and is lovely to drive handles FANTASTICALLY (as per ALL the press reviews).

It's had a couple of niggles regarding the boot release (sorted under warranty) and been in for a recall (can't remember what it was for though ).

It's thirsty as fuck though and the 237bhp V6 feels under-powered for the weight of the car (4x4 transmission saps power as well). The interior is a nice place to be IMO and certainly looks better inside than the equivalent Ford!

HOWEVER, the brakes feel WOEFULLY inadequate and have caught me out more than once when I have had the OMG am I going to stop in time feeling . This is not helped by the fact that the car seems to dive excessively under braking as well.

I would still rather have the equivalent BMW as has been suggested though .
Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

boss has one, the 2.0 diesel
nowt gone wrong with it and he seems fairly impressed with it
comes with loads of goodies but it's also a manual only but he reckons it's plenty quick, not as quick as his 2.0 mk5 golf tdi mind, that thing is rapidly rapid for what it is, but it's still a golf vs jag and a jag is still a jag no matter what it's got under the skin while a golf is still just a golf