General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Stay away from Admiral Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 21-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Muzz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stay away from Admiral Insurance

Well I was very happy overall with Admiral, id been insured with them for the last 10 months on one of their bonus accelerator schemes. Anyway my insurance expired 4 days ago and I didnt want to renew seeing as my Corsa is now dead. Just checked my direct debit account to find that they have taken £53 for a new policy, and as that account had no money in it as there was none needed in it, it will have incurred me a £30 overdraft charge aswell.

Now I phone them up to explain the situation, they say that they have automatically renewed my policy, even though I have told them not to. To begin with, they were only willing to refund me £29 worth of the £53 policy, to cover the time for which I was insured (Which in total was 4 days - hardly worth justifying a £24 loss). After a bit of fighting and speaking the manager I have got them to agree to refund the full amount which they took from my account, however they are not prepared to pay the bank charges.

I am going to keep fighting this and I will get the money for the bank charges if it kills me, just out of principal.

So the moral of this story is, keep well away from Admiral .
Old 21-06-2007, 02:09 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if you have no luck with admiral, go to www.consumeractiongroup.com , there is a forum on how to reclaim your bank charges for the last 6 years, as they are illegal
Old 21-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Muzz

Old 21-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Phil79
Banned

Erm, try opening your post.

They send me a letter EVERY year without fail, 2 week prior to renewal, saying unless you tell them differently, they will go ahead and assume you still want a nother policy with them
Old 21-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Muzz

I rang and specifically said I didnt want to renew on June 13th
Old 21-06-2007, 02:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stay away from Admiral Insurance

Originally Posted by Muzz
Well I was very happy overall with Admiral, id been insured with them for the last 10 months on one of their bonus accelerator schemes. Anyway my insurance expired 4 days ago and I didnt want to renew seeing as my Corsa is now dead. Just checked my direct debit account to find that they have taken £53 for a new policy, and as that account had no money in it as there was none needed in it, it will have incurred me a £30 overdraft charge aswell.

Now I phone them up to explain the situation, they say that they have automatically renewed my policy, even though I have told them not to. To begin with, they were only willing to refund me £29 worth of the £53 policy, to cover the time for which I was insured (Which in total was 4 days - hardly worth justifying a £24 loss). After a bit of fighting and speaking the manager I have got them to agree to refund the full amount which they took from my account, however they are not prepared to pay the bank charges.

I am going to keep fighting this and I will get the money for the bank charges if it kills me, just out of principal.

So the moral of this story is, keep well away from Admiral .

Phil79 Think u need a trip to specsavers mate
Old 21-06-2007, 02:35 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

telling them isnt enough. you have to fill in and return the form they send when your renewals due or send it in writing that you wish to cancel..
Old 21-06-2007, 02:39 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you could've also canceled your direct debit.
Old 21-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
Easy as a click on the mouse with natwest
Old 21-06-2007, 02:43 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
thats the thing i do first as well along with phoning my bank to put a block on them from debiting my account at all.
Old 21-06-2007, 02:56 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

their bonus accelrator thing is only aplicable to a policy you have with them too
so if you've been a year with them and then decide to change the other insurance company may not accept that you've been claim free for a eyar if your policy only lasts 10 months

they also dicked me about years ago for putting a diferent set of alloys on my saph and me being the driver of the car when the policy was in my name
6 months to sort out plus a whole load of letters saying "you do realise you are not insured don't you and can be liable for a crimincal conviction" etc and other bollocks, they should have eralised that i was insured with someone else after they gave me grief for making a claim against someone who'd hit me while reversing out of his driveway as teh policy was up about 2 weeks after the accident
Old 21-06-2007, 06:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just sent off for, £418 in charges against the HALIFAX, going back over 9 years.
The six year limit was not intended to cover LAW corrections so does not apply, this has been discussed in the house, and no time limit set for claims of this nature.
The six year limit is an established time for CIVIL RECOVERY, NOT the case here, as it has resulted from a "misdirection of law" and so falls out of statute.
tabetha