General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

fao: gym people

Search this Thread

Old 19-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fao: gym people

ok need some info from you if you please

ive been going gym for a few months now,, last 3 or so taking it more serious

been working on my arms chest ect and all was going VERY well

3 weeks ago i decided to take the advice of a personal trainer there and he recomended i do more cardio work and burn off the fat to make better progress

for 3 weeks ive been running for 10mins at 13km for a min then 6.5km fast walk for a min the back to the run then a PROPER sprint at the end

been doing 15 mins on both types of cycles and also 10mins on the rowing machine and also been doing 30mins sparing and fucking about with the punch bag

anyway when doing this ive noticed that ive been struggling to do the same weights i was before and not only that it seems that im LOOSING the build i was getting before i started it

this week as a test i stopped and then noticed i could lift hard weights again and im getting my arms/chest and back building up again

just wondering if its a placebo type thing in my head of if the working out at such a hard task ( heart rate was between 165 and 180) that i was burning muscle tissue and was loosing energy due to working so hard

just thought i would ask on here as ive asked a few people and some say i wont, others say i will and then some are getting all techy bollox about how the human body works

one person even said i would look much better with a slim build and not a big build,,,, which wasnt even what i fucking asked

anyway lets all see what others think and if im right or wrong
Old 19-06-2007, 10:43 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your probably not resting your body properly after cardio so thats why you might not be able to lift the same heavy weights. also by resting i mean eating the right nutrition to repair and feed your body correct nutrition without your body eating your muscles in order for it to repair its self.

hope that helps
Old 19-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

can you give me some pointers then food wise what i should be eating and when i should be eating please

i must admit i dont eat much latley and i think its down to my caffine addiction as since i been drinking relentless i eat a sandwich at lunch and then dinner when im home,,, thats it

though i have gone down a few belt holes,,,,, not lost weight either which is a good thing

does your body eat muscles then for that reason ?

im thinking maybe having a sunday as a cardio day and the other 3 days a week as the weight days

i am back to being strong again and im back to using the girly chest machines at pushing up 100kg's and forward 100kg's and when i bench im back to 35kg each side plus the bar ( and the springs,,, all adds up ) and the dumbell buterfly things im doning 28kg each dumbell

before i was hitting 60 on the girly machines and i could life the dumbel buterfly things more than 20kg and then i was shaking like a skag head who broke his needle

not to mention i could only bench 15kg and anymore and i had no balance

cheers for the help and advice,,,, sounds like a good reason and makes sence too

cheers again
Old 19-06-2007, 11:12 PM
4x4

if your doing cardio first thing in the morning have a small meal consisting of carbs and a little bit of protien, even a banana before cardio.

after cardio take a good dose of carbs, rice, pasta etc with vegies and also protien. it is ok to eat alot of carbs after training as your body will use it all to recover rather than it turn to sugars and fat etc.

do not eat carbs in your last meal of the day and if you have a slow metabolism then dont eat them in your last TWO. only time you can eat carbs last meal is if you hit weights/cardio last thing in the day.

make sure you eat fruit and veg for iron and LOTS of water if your looking to burn fat.

try to train cardio 2 or 3 times a week rather than once.

Also look into H.I.T training for burning fat. it only takes 15-20 mins a day and is the most effective exercise for burning fat and then for your body not storing foods as fat for the reat of that day.

High.Intensity.Training. is exploive work. i have always done H.I.T training via boxing as all boxers will do it.

Also i know its expencive but buy mens health mag as they have really good wieght training and cardio training methods and nutrition intake.

the reason your body eats muscle before fat reserves is because its designed to use fat for energy as a last resort of STARVATION and use eat muscle first. When you train and you do not eat carbs for energy, your body will go into mild process of starvation. weird but there is much better explanations in the mens health mag and even ASKmen.com.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:16 PM
4x4

forgot to add always go heavy on weights if you want to build muscle.

doing between 3-7 reps and next week maybe 4-8 reps. i only weigh 65kg and have done very heavy weights for my body weight and have got considerable gains and am on my way to a bruce lee body

dont listen to the light weights, more reps for ripping bullshit. light weights are good for muscle indurance and not for stregnth or building muscle.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:29 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with the trainer in that if you're carying some bulk be it from past lazyness, diet or drinking then it would be wise to shift that first and the best way is cardio, swimming, running, cycling and even walking will help. What your doing now is kind of a HIIT (high intensity interval training) but it might be best doing 30 seconds sprints then 30 seconds slow jog etc etc. The other positive with it is it takes less time than say going for a jog for 40 minutes at slow HR but will send you into overdrive and burn more. You might want to do the cardio work early on empty, no food then eat about 40-1hr after so your burning fat off not what you eaten. (bearing in mind you've been in asleep all night and will have used that nights food for body repair and maintainence).

I'd forget about what number weights you're lifting and go by the mirror and how you feel, i know we use weights to measure the progress but surely the look of your body is a better measure. I've seen fat bulky bastards lifting up half the gym at once but they look like shit. You'd never get them trying hard tiring things like a chin up bar or cardio work and they will be happy as long as the numbers they are lifting are high. Jelly is still jelly and not hard no matter how wide you are or what you lift.

Starting to build after you've cut will ensure you put on lean muscle. Diet is a big part and you want to look into eating much smaller meals but more often to boost your metabolism even more this will help wit the cut, sooner you get looking lean then you can really crack on with the heavy side of it. Much better in the long run. You want to be getting protein in every so often and if you can't find things like chicken or fish to nibble on then do a good meal and split it into 3, then its like you only have to piss around in the kitchen once not 3 times for that part of the day. After a while of having 6 meals you'll get used to it but also you will feel like your eating all the time so won't eat junk in between. Eating hardly anything or skipping meals is not good and will slow your metabolism right down.

If you haven't already take a look at www.muscletalk.co.uk at the nutrition and cardio sections as you will pick up lots to achieve what your after. There are some good articles floating around too.
Old 20-06-2007, 05:34 AM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

get on the ROIDS............................ ....lift a house.......
Old 20-06-2007, 06:03 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

4x4 whats the most protein you can eat in one sitting, is it 50grams? a lad in work said after a good workout within 20 mins he has a some protein be it 4 boiled eggs, or a tin of tuna on toast etc, will this help alot? if so why?

what about a sweat suit how much will this help in loosing the fat?
Old 20-06-2007, 06:14 AM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by wirralphil
4x4 whats the most protein you can eat in one sitting, is it 50grams? a lad in work said after a good workout within 20 mins he has a some protein be it 4 boiled eggs, or a tin of tuna on toast etc, will this help alot? if so why?

The amount of protein your body can absorb in one sitting is around 20-30 grams depending on your body size. If you try and eat anymore your body just shits it out!! After training, your body is screaming for fuel, so a protein shake with in the hour is a must.
A sweat suit will not help burn fat, just sweet more. When you have a drink you will just replace the lost sweat.

Smudge
Old 20-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ginge, the two don't go very well together, thats why long distance runners are skinny fuckers

Cardio is just another way of burning calories and not the best actually. Weight training is actually far better at maintaining your bodies metabolism throughout the day. I'n afraid I didn't read thre posts above properly as I don't have the time so apologies if this has been already mentioned

Have you worked out how many calories you need to a) build muscle b) loose weight/fat. There is a thread in the weights room which shows you how. Without gear it is hard to do both at the same time successfully! and its a route I wouldn't recommend right away.

If you want to do some cardio then do very low intensity stuff. Fast walking is more than enough. First thing in the morning is also very good, especially on an empty stomach.

To hold onto your strength and size make sure you are consumoing at least 1gram of protein per lb of bodyweight each day. This is the difficult part so protein drinks can make it easier.

Finally, need I say stay off the beers, fatty foods etc!!!
Old 20-06-2007, 07:32 AM
jbrayley
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by smudgerz

The amount of protein your body can absorb in one sitting is around 20-30 grams depending on your body size. If you try and eat anymore your body just shits it out!! After training, your body is screaming for fuel, so a protein shake with in the hour is a must.
A sweat suit will not help burn fat, just sweet more. When you have a drink you will just replace the lost sweat.

Smudge
The amount of protein your body can digest is completly individual and depends on a number of factors. Advanced trainers can easily digest 50+ grams of protein in a single sitting. The best thing you can do is take a high carb / high protein (50g+, preferably fast acting like whey isolate) straight after a weights session.
Old 20-06-2007, 07:59 AM
smudgerz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by jbrayley

Smudge
The amount of protein your body can digest is completly individual and depends on a number of factors. Advanced trainers can easily digest 50+ grams of protein in a single sitting. The best thing you can do is take a high carb / high protein (50g+, preferably fast acting like whey isolate) straight after a weights session.
Thats true mate, but for normal people, 50 grams is alot for your body to absorb. Im 14 stone and still wouldnt have more than 30-40 grams after training.

Smudge
Old 20-06-2007, 09:40 AM
m4cK

[/url]http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

First off Get your diet right, you want to be eating 4-5 meals a day but small meals with the correct nutrition low fat high protein,having lots of small meals will speed you metabolic rate up therefore burning fat more and given you definition.

cardio solid for couple weeks will warm you up to gym life and prob help shift them couple pounds you need for bit of definition, then you should lay off the cardio and just use it purely for warming up and getting the blood flowing. (never good to do cardio and muscle building in same workout).

Then you want to start taken supplements to make you train harder and reach that 150g day protein level and be able to train harder (its near impossible to get that much protein inside you on daily basics without using shakes and protein bars. I would recommand a Creatine mix before work out and 2 Protein shakes a day + a protein bar and complimented by a good diet.

Then you should get ya self a steady 3 day work out plan maybe more if you have the time and stick by it!! your personal training should be able to right you up a decent enough body building routine or you will be able to find everything you need on that link i gave you (great site) !!!... im running out of steam now , hope this helps ya pal !! good luck
Old 20-06-2007, 03:23 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Cardio is just another way of burning calories and not the best actually. Weight training is actually far better at maintaining your bodies metabolism throughout the day.

Cardio work is VERY good for trimmimg up and far better than weight training. HIIT on empty will lose even more weight but its all about the heart rate, yes after a session at the gym you will be drained but no way does your heart work as hard as a good run, you can still often catch yourself yawning at the gym. Runners and boxers may not be huge but they are always more defined/in better shape than most people at the gym. Metabolism is one thing but you have to put the effort in too.

Ginge, the two don't go very well together, thats why long distance runners are skinny fuckers
Which is why his traininer advised to lose the extra beef first then concentrate on building. Often people at the gym will switch to a cutting routine for a period before going back to bulking so a cleaner diet and more cardio comes in. Better to start the gym lean imo rather than flabby before getting into heavy weights and supplements etc. Also if runners are always "skinny fuckers" then why do you say cardio is not a good way to burn calories?

Old 20-06-2007, 10:44 PM
jbrayley
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by jbrayley

Smudge
Thats true mate, but for normal people, 50 grams is alot for your body to absorb. Im 14 stone and still wouldnt have more than 30-40 grams after training.

Smudge
Your body can absorb a lot more protein after training due to the fact the muscles have been broken down and need to repair. There is a small window of opportunity there in the hour post workout, and I have always been of the thought "better to have too much than not enough"