General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Ginge and Newer Ford Boys In The Know

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2007 | 05:31 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Default FAO Ginge and Newer Ford Boys In The Know

Is there a common fault on Focus 1.6TDCi's where the turbo pipe cracks?

I managed to blow up an 05 plate 34k estate on the M1 last night doing around 75mph. pulled over to find a 3 inch crack down one of the turbo pipes (the metally 2" diameter one along the front of the engine on the 1.6) and oil splattered everywhere, and all over the underside of the bonnet and plenty of steam/smoke. I wasnt even giving it any stick which is why i'm thinking it's a problem thats developed over a period of time. Slowed down to about 20mph for traffic, got back up to motorway speed then total loss of power and had to pull over into inside lane sharpish with an artic up my arse, managed to get off at J30 and limp to the layby past the roundabout. foot to the floor in 2nd gear and i couldnt get above 30mph.

Also when it revs it sounds like the turbo is shot, possible bearing gone? As it makes an horrible whirring/scraping noise when revved as if theres bits of metal flying around inside it.

Had to get it recovered and it's currently in ASDA's car park as Benfield Ford don't want to know, and the Lease Co are shut weekends

It's a company car (not mine...i only borrowed it cos i needed an estate) so not overly fussed, but surely not something that should happen after only 34k??

I have the 2.0TDCi 5dr thats done 23k since last may, worth getting it checked next service??
Old 26-05-2007 | 05:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

never heard of that problem, but then i no longer work at ford either and sell mainly exhasts for a living so im gonna say its cause its a shite ford just out of spite
Old 26-05-2007 | 06:04 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Normal shonky ford behaviour then

No wonder the guy used to drive it as his co car called it the dagenham dustbin.

Having said that, not had a single problem with mine bar a blown fuse for the DC socket where i plug me satnav in. Which i remedied this morning by nicking one out of said broken down car It hasnt got heated seats...so why does it need a 20A fuse in there
Old 26-05-2007 | 06:41 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i can't remember any metel boost pipes under the bonnet actually?

not something i've seen of before tbh.
Old 26-05-2007 | 08:34 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

When you take the plastic cover off the engine, theres a pipe that runs along the front of it that goes into the turbo, then a plastic one that branches off it

I;ve looked on my 2.0 and it runs up the right hand side vertically rather than horizontally like on the 1.6
Old 26-05-2007 | 08:45 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if a boost pipe has split and covered the bonnet and everywhere in that much oil and it's making nasty noises i'd suspect turbo is fooked.
Old 26-05-2007 | 10:53 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by James
if a boost pipe has split and covered the bonnet and everywhere in that much oil and it's making nasty noises i'd suspect turbo is fooked.
it sounds it when you rev it stationary.

The only way i can really describe the noise...... imagine starting up a food blender, then dropping a handful of screws inside it...? you wouldnt be far off.

Definitely something flying around inside it

Trending Topics

Old 27-05-2007 | 09:56 AM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice!

shes sounds broke to me!

if you wanna get your hands dirty take the air intake pipe off the turbo, be carful of the breather pipe as these clips break easily. check how much play is in the turbo.

But personally i wouldn't touch it if i was you, i doubt it but if the dealer thinks you've been fiddling they might get arsy since it's under warrenty.
Old 27-05-2007 | 11:58 AM
BigMouthBillyBass

Like i said it's not actually "my" company car so not going to fiddle with it any further, just in case the dealer takes offence.

Was just wondering if anyone's known it happen before on such a low mileage car