General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Using a Cossie as a daily driver - best spec?

Search this Thread

Old 16-05-2007, 11:05 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

just thought i'd add my 2p's worth:

i used my saff as an everyday driver for 6 months before i decided to by a fiesta runa round:

the saff was excellent, never let me down, always fired up, never gave any overheating issues etc (i live in london so it sees alot of traffic).

car is a 4x4 closed loop MSD stage 3, and it was fine as an everyday car

however, the reasons i bought the fiesta are these:

i do alot of short journeys, with the saff on warm up most of the time, it could return as little as 10mpg

i was paranoid about leaving it places, now i have the fiesta, i can go places, and if i decide to have a drink (say at a friends house) i just leave it where it is and get it the next day....no paranoia

the car lost its specialness as i used it day in day out, now i have the fiesta, driving the saff is like a treat for weekends etc

my saff is pretty mint, didnt wanna use it for shopping etc, worried about parking dings and trolleys etc, and using it for commuting it was getting caked in crap all the time

there is no reason why a well maintained saff shouldnt be a decent everyday car, you just need to realise not to be precious about it, try and get over the paranoia (very hard) and just accept the fact they can be very expensive to repair if needed

hope this helps

rory

Old 16-05-2007, 11:38 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my cossie every day for 3 months.

it lost its specialness and i purchased a diesel fiesta (i was doing 300 miles a week in it).

I bought mine when i was 21.

If the guy wants one then let him get on and make his own mistakes (if mistakes are what he's going to make, he may not!)

My cossie didnt really cost me much when it was an every day runner apart from a clutch, which did a spring in the clutch plate itself.

it would be worth getting a cheap runner as a second car, so you dont have to use the cossie all the time.
Old 16-05-2007, 11:51 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SapphyMike

it lost its specialness and i purchased a diesel fiesta (i was doing 300 miles a week in it).
exactly what i did

Old 16-05-2007, 12:01 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I definately still say just go for it, i'm only 21 and at the moment i'm pretty skint, but i can still go out with my mates and have a laugh.

Fair enough the cossie is the reason i'm skint but i love driving it and still enjoy life other than my cars. Whats the point in worrying if he can afford it?
Old 16-05-2007, 12:05 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

I've run my 4x4 cossie (stg1) for nearly ten years on a daily basis and added a 2wd (stg3) to the RS family about 2 years ago which is used on an almost daily basis too.

In terms of running costs, compared to a BMW 850Csi and TVR Chimaera we've had, the cossies have been very cheap, and I mean VERY cheap
Old 16-05-2007, 01:21 PM
G2RSR
Bodybuilding

Any specs reliable if maintained properly when you buy take it straight to a tuner they will check all the sensors etc voltage at the fuel pump most cossies are unreliable because of diy jobs on the engine without them knowing what made it fail in the first place it will fail again and again

ie: you take it to a tuner they can find out why its blown its headgasket probably from running lean because the wrong voltage at the fuel pump etc then you will get happy motoring
Old 16-05-2007, 01:36 PM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

Just get on with it and get one

Youll always regret it if you dont

and god forbid - you might get hit by a bus tommorow crossing the road

lifes to short to worry about every little detail , youll grin from ear to ear every time you drive it because your working hard to run and maintain it

and as for those that are saying you cant run a cossie as an everyday car

Y the helll not , i dont ever remember ford putting in there brouchour
" only to be brought out on sunny shineys days when there is no risk of it gettin mucky or you actually enjoying ownership"

You want something to look at buy a scale model
Old 16-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Remko GT
Regular Contributor

Amen to that!
Old 16-05-2007, 02:22 PM
pete mcrash
saff is working!!!...atm

i use my 420bhp 4x4 saff everyday................(appart from when broke)................fuck the fuel bill............fuck the insurence............fuck the repair costs...................i FUCKN' luv it........................
Old 16-05-2007, 03:39 PM
R5COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you can afford 2 run it daily and be able not to be worring about it when you leave it anywhere by all means use it daily id say a good stage 1 would be ideal as a daily drive
Old 16-05-2007, 03:49 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gingeRS
however, the reasons i bought the fiesta are these:

i do alot of short journeys, with the saff on warm up most of the time, it could return as little as 10mpg

i was paranoid about leaving it places, now i have the fiesta, i can go places, and if i decide to have a drink (say at a friends house) i just leave it where it is and get it the next day....no paranoia

the car lost its specialness as i used it day in day out, now i have the fiesta, driving the saff is like a treat for weekends etc
my point entirely
Old 16-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right i am gonna stick my two pennies in now lol.

Simon as you know i always wanted a saff and got one at 18......very bad move as at the time i was spendin 500amonth on insurance and loads on fuel as was a daily driver as an estate agent lol.... i was on Ł20k tops and i had to sell it cos it was killing my social life.plus i got into loads of debt for it.
dont get me wrong i had some GREAT times in the car and to be honest the only thing that went wrong was 2 clutches.and that was cos of me.

As you dont pay rent or anything like that then yeah go for it..at least you can say you have tried it. if it kicks you in the arse it does but at the end of the day you will have fun,you will get attention and you will get pulled over lol...but you have to start driving over 70 for more than 2 secs to enjoy it hahaha.

I totally understand were Ginge is coming from and to be honest wish i had someone like him giving advice when i bought mine but you will do want you want regardless of what others say.

Give it 6months and i will have another one.......the boredom from the compnay car has set in already and as i dont need it as a daily driver now it can break and sit on the drive
Old 16-05-2007, 04:21 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Dan! I never thought you'd come out with such a logical, honest comment! Seriosuly thanks for not being negative like i thought you might be

We all know cossies were always your car but things move on, i wont mention what i was driving at the time

And if ginge had told you back then not to buy one i know you would defo have ignored him, your more headstrong than all of us lol

Cheers matey