General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What oil does CVH 1.6 take

Search this Thread

Old 18-09-2004, 10:45 AM
NIMRODS_RST
MISSING MY RST!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil does CVH 1.6 take

as above 15/40 15/10
Old 18-09-2004, 10:53 AM
NIMRODS_RST
MISSING MY RST!!

anyone
Old 18-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe this thread has been on here for nearly an hour and no-one has given you an answer!!

Castrol RS 10w60 is a pretty good choice. Another good oil is Valvoline VR1 Racing 5w50.

There have been some very detailed discussions on here about oil, but I think the above are good enough for most..........
Old 18-09-2004, 01:17 PM
NIMRODS_RST
MISSING MY RST!!

at last cheers
Old 18-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You will never get a straight answer on which oil is 'the' best.

For instance i use Mobil 1 15/50 but if i was changing my oil and the shop didnt have any then id happily put in either of the 2 that were mentined above

Old 18-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

10/60
Old 18-09-2004, 06:20 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

do a search mate.

castrol rs 10w60
Old 18-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

valvoline racing mineral oil
Old 21-09-2004, 02:00 PM
oilman
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Stick to 15w-50 or 10w-50.

10w-60 is too thick really and not necessary.

Surely the thicker the oil the better!

This isn't always true - even when using a petroleum oil. Although it is true that
heavier viscosity oils (which are generally thought of as being thicker) will hold up better under heavy loads and high temperatures, this doesn't necessarily make them a better choice for all applications.

On many newer vehicles only 0w-40, 5w40 or 10w40 engine oils are recommended by the manufacturer. If you choose to use a higher viscosity oil than what is recommended, at the very least you are likely to reduce performance of the engine. Fuel economy will likely go down and engine performance will drop.

In the winter months it is highly recommended that you not use a heavier grade oil than what is recommended by the manufacturer. In cold start conditions you could very well be causing more engine wear than when using a lighter viscosity oil. In the summer months, going to a heavier grade is less of an issue, but there are still some things to be aware of.

Moving one grade up from the recommended viscosity is not likely to cause any problems (say from a 10w40 to a 10w50 oil). The differences in pumping and flow resitance will be slight. Although, efficiency of the engine will decrease, the oil will likely still flow adequately through the engine to maintain proper protection. However, it will not likely protect any better than the lighter weight oil recommended by the manufacturer.

Moving two grades up from the recommended viscosity (say 10w40 to 10w-60) is a little more extreme and could cause long term engine damage if not short term. Although the oil will still probably flow ok through the engine, it is a heavier visocosity oil. As such it will be more difficult to pump the oil through the engine. More friction will be present than with a lighter viscosity oil. More friction will be present than with a lighter viscosity oil. More friction means more heat. In other words, by going to a thicker oil in the summer months, you may actually be causing more heat build-up within the engine. You'll still be providing adequate protection from metal to metal contact in the engine by going with a high viscosity, but the higher viscosity will raise engine temperatures.

In the short run, this is no big deal. However, over the long term, when engine components are run at higher temperatures, they WILL wear out more quickly. As such, if you intend on keeping the vehicle for awhile, keep this in mind if you're considering using a heavier weight oil than the manufacturer recommends.
The best advice is to is to stay away from viscosity grades that are not mentioned in your owner's manual.

You can always email me for prices.

Cheers
Guy
Old 21-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Zetec Andy
10K+ Poster!!

Duuno mate but in my 1.8 CVH i used a cheap semi synthetic, worked fine for me and it run better too
Old 21-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not knocking you Rick/oilman etc, but the guy wanted a simple answer, so thats what he got!! I just KNEW that others would fire it down, but for someone that just wanted some oil the question was answered.

Castrol RS obviously isn't absolute shite because we've all been running it without direct problems for some time now. However, I do understand that there is more to it than we originally thought.
Old 21-09-2004, 02:43 PM
oilman
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry, but I never said that it was sh**e in fact it's a big seller. The problem we have with it is the viscosity which is very thick.

This has been explained on many occasions by us from a technical point of view and why it may do damage in the long run.

People can make their own minds up about what we say but oil is what we do for a living and surely it's better to be informed than not?

There are too many people who simply don't know the facts. Added to this there are too many myths about oil. We try to give the best factual advice available, you simply can't pop into Half**ds and ask these questions.

Simon