General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Twin Engined Cars

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2007, 11:00 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
PON/PORKIE:

why do we do anything?

to be different thats why.

pon, your saph was a monster, just a shame it was never finished... that was far from the norm
Not at all.

You do things for a purpose. If you build a car, then the best way to build is so that it meets all the criteria.

Rod's car for example. Might not be amazing round circuit, but aint a lot come close for top speed, as that's what it was built for.

My saff was never a monster. Sure, it had a lot of fancy bits on it, but the primary reason I sold it was that it wasn't the best car for trackdays. Just took me too long to see it.

IMO, if you do things "just to be different", then you're an idiot.

You like trackdays. Build the best track car you can.

You like 1/4 mile. Build the best car you can.

IMO, you don't build the car to be different, and THEN correct the inherent flaws that brings to try and bring you enjoyment.

That's just bad project management strategy.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Havent had chance to read whole tread, but to answer the first question, the engines dont need to be matched AT ALL to each other.

A 500bhp supercharged V6 in the back and a 2.0 200bhp N/A in the front would still work fine.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Havent had chance to read whole tread, but to answer the first question, the engines dont need to be matched AT ALL to each other.

A 500bhp supercharged V6 in the back and a 2.0 200bhp N/A in the front would still work fine.
Quick question, hope you don't mind. If front engine has much more power powering the front wheels than the rear engine has powering the back wheels, won't the front engine having more power drag the back wheels faster than the rear engine can power them? Does that make sense? I've confused myself.

Benni.
Old 20-04-2007, 11:57 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JC MOTORSPORT
and i am lucky as one of mates is ian from dub sport who built the twin engined golf he said
that man is a legend. i thought you'd of known him jc, seen your saph outside blueflame a few times when ian worked there, i only worked round the corner

link to ians new company http://www.pipewerx.com/

a pic of the twin vr6 turboed mk3

check out his project passat
Old 21-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardPON
Originally Posted by Dan@FastFord
PON/PORKIE:

why do we do anything?

to be different thats why.

pon, your saph was a monster, just a shame it was never finished... that was far from the norm
Not at all.

You do things for a purpose. If you build a car, then the best way to build is so that it meets all the criteria.

Rod's car for example. Might not be amazing round circuit, but aint a lot come close for top speed, as that's what it was built for.

My saff was never a monster. Sure, it had a lot of fancy bits on it, but the primary reason I sold it was that it wasn't the best car for trackdays. Just took me too long to see it.

IMO, if you do things "just to be different", then you're an idiot.

You like trackdays. Build the best track car you can.

You like 1/4 mile. Build the best car you can.

IMO, you don't build the car to be different, and THEN correct the inherent flaws that brings to try and bring you enjoyment.

That's just bad project management strategy.
exactly rich, and i thin you answered the question with that reply.

you built your saph as a track car, and there are far better handling cars our there that a sierra

rod build his saph to do over 200mph, again, there are far better cars cars out there that would be cheaper to make go that fast...

the point is, w all love our shonky old fords and want to make them the best. some people realise they are not the best basr car to use and change plan, much like yourself, some wil think 'fuck it', im gonna do this cos i can etc

and fair play to them i say.

ok a twin enigne fez wont be the fastest or best handndling thing ever, but it will be fun to do for the people involved and thats why we do it

i love esc cossies and evos, but i cant afford em... we make the most of what we got lol

Old 21-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless the front engien can accelerate the car quicker than the rear engine is capable of revving in netrual, no, the rear engine would still help.

Originally Posted by Benni
Originally Posted by Chip-3Door

Quick question, hope you don't mind. If front engine has much more power powering the front wheels than the rear engine has powering the back wheels, won't the front engine having more power drag the back wheels faster than the rear engine can power them? Does that make sense? I've confused myself.

Benni.
Old 21-04-2007, 10:11 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

@ passat
Old 21-04-2007, 10:18 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

they never work right,,, im in PONs and porkies gang
Old 21-04-2007, 10:33 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 117 Likes on 110 Posts

Mate's building a twin engine Corrado atm http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116662
Old 22-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigoScott
its illegal to have two engines on and linked at the same time out on the public road, you would only be able to use it legally on track! just so you kno...
So how are all these twin bike engined kit cars legal then? Or at least I've never seen one comment to say "illegal for road use, track use only"

Originally Posted by RichardPON

Doesn't make it any quicker up the 1/4, chassis balance will be all over the shop, so would make a terrible track car, and for the road, it's entirely pointless.
So for example a fwd 180bhp 1250kg car won't be quicker than a 360bhp 4wd 1450kg twin engine car up the 1/4? I think the fwd will be blown into the weeds.

Is chassis balance different to weight distribution? As I know my car is 58/42 f/r . If I put the same engine in the back then at an educated guess it will change to around 52/48 with a 50/50 power split. That doesn't sound unbalanced.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
scoby_hugh

To be honest i think the people who are critisising twin engined cars are either basing there opinions on a guess or a poorley built twin engined one, i have a twin engined renault 5 and can say it has been built well, handles well and is very nice to drive on the roads, it pulls like a train and grips too.. Just thought i would mention this not to start an arguement but to make sure people arent put off building what they wanted to because people say it wont work. I have no doubt round a track a single engined car will probably be quicker in the corners with equal power but twin engined cars can still be good
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Only nearly three years too late.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:06 AM
scoby_hugh

Yeah i suppose the car in question has already been built/not built
Old 02-03-2010, 11:32 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!