General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Helmets, leathers, boots etc..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets, leathers, boots etc..........

Im in the process of looking to buy all my things ready for when i hopefully pass my test next month.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what leathers and boots etc to buy and wheres the best and cheapest place to get them from. I dont have a clue what im looking at. Is it just a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

Someone has mentioned to me to go to some shows or events and you can get cheap seconds from certain stalls. Anyone else know anything about this?

Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Helmets, leather, boots etc..........

Originally Posted by S1rst
Is it just a case of 'you get what you pay for'?
Yes it is , I never understand people who scrimp and save in these areas , buy the absolute best you can afford to buy
Old 02-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

not true deano

i bought a takachi (or summut ) lid from a bike shop for £50, was for track days etc and i used it for my test etc.

i had the intension to buy a decent lid (read expensive) when i passed.

but the instructor said they were made by shoei under a different name, and my £50 jobber was the equivelant to a £200 shoei

i did have a 200 shoei years ago, and sold it and tbh, i cant really tell much difference. other than a bit on the visor clasp has broke but it still works 100%

i do find the wind noise bad above 70mph tho, but i guess ear plugs will sort that

i have belstaff codura and kevlar jacket and trousers (off ebay) and a pair of nearly new sidi boots, does the job
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Lids need to reach CE standard as a minimum in the UK but I certainly wouldn't put any old lid on my head- you only get one!-you are better off going for Shoei/Arai/Suomy stuff but don't just buy it because of the name most things with an ACLU gold stamp are pretty good (and a minimum for every UK track day I've done!). Ride magazine always do thorough tests on lids and all gear so check that out!

Personally, I've got a Suomy Gunwind lid, Dainese Tattoo leathers (both are 7 years old and in good nick!-got the leather suit cleaned for 40 quid and its as good as new) Sidi Vertebra boots and Rhino GP1 gloves (I'm on my 2nd set of gloves and boots in the time i've owned the lid and leathers)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
S2Mick
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I ride a sports bike (750) and have been in the same boat as you over the last 18months.

Lids - You got the big boys Arai etc £400+, but you can get a HJC for over a one'r which should be plenty good enough. Dont go the budget route though (under £100 jap cheap stuff).

*I have a £400 Suomey which was proven in an attemp to get the perfect knee-down switch on the A1 at the black cat throught the bends hit a landrover and landed hard on me head, really felt the crack on the pavement but walked away without a scratch.

Ear Plugs - Big Box.

Leathers - good quality gear starts at around 280+ one or two peice. Look at spada or Frank thomas strike titanium.

Boots - Around a one'r again i'm affraid, but then hey i quite like my feet so i paid £200.

Gloves - £40 -£200 again start with spada for a good glove starting a the low end.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i didnt get leather cos i ride the bike to work every day and they aint waterproof.

saying that, the stuff i have aint too great either

so you will need to think about that.

my boots are sidi brevato vertibrae (almost new, £65 off ebay), and do the job, if you get some go half a size bigger as they are quite narrow. (or my feet are just wide )

i deffo need some earplugs tho
Old 03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know theres a motorbikes forum?

LOADS of similar questions there. Sorry i cant be arsed typing again
Old 03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Originally Posted by Lambchop