General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Bank Charges..(I feel strongly about this one!)

Search this Thread

Old 29-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bank Charges..(I feel strongly about this one!)

I know this will get some backs up, but there you go.

I have just heard on the news that UK banks have suffered a 4000% increase in the amount of people claiming back 'unfair' bank charges in the last 12 months.

So, tell me this. You have all had your £2000, £3000 and £4000's back, but who will pick up the pieces? Who will suffer with the 'loss' that the banks have made?? The banks will take it on the chin? Don't be stupid.

It will be ME and every other person that can successfully manage their money and live within their means that picks up the tab with shitty interest rates, fewer beneficial services and higher charges.

Thanks!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:03 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

erm its been demed unfair

so people have a right to claim.

deal with it
Old 29-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think your bitter because you didn't get charges back
Old 29-03-2007, 04:06 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

oh well, thats life mate.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by AlexF

deal with it
That they might. But to run up thousands of pounds of charges in a few years can only be due to poor management of money, no? It's not the banks fault is it?

If I was to get charged for going overdrawn one month, I certainly wouldn't do it again and again and again. Hence I have only run up maybe one or two charges in the last 10 years.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:10 PM
PastyKing
Advanced PassionFord User

i strongly disagree there maybe some people are not so well off and accidentally do go overdrawn occasionally.
the charges are only meant to cover the admin costs not punish the customer so how is £35 jusifiable? legalised theft if you ask me when
the real cost is approx £3-£4 thats all!!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:11 PM
jasonp

you should have then you can claim back some more money

but i do agree i cant see how people constantly get over drawn and live like it
Old 29-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just be greatful that yours and mine back charges have been unfairly subsidised by illegal penalties against the least well of members of our community in the first place.

Its you and me that have been profiting from this genuine outrage for the last umpteen years!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Originally Posted by pastyking
i strongly disagree there maybe some people are not so well off and accidentally do go overdrawn occasionally.
Occassionally is one thing, but to run up £4k in 5 years means a charge almost every month. That means one of 2 things. Earn more or spend less. Simple as.

Surely that's not a difficult concept?

I aren't disputing whether or not it's unfair that the banks charge for this, more that people have managed to run up SO much in charges without learning from their mistakes.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had this thought the other day whilst reading a thread on another forum

Has their been any eveidence that the banks will seek to recoup money "lost" by cutting interest rates etc?

Either way, ive never suffered a charge from the bank, mainly because i know what money i have going in and out, and more importantly when its going in and out. The people who cant seem to manage their money should have to pay the charges! Might make them learn to keep an eye on their finances a bit more!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy

deal with it
That they might. But to run up thousands of pounds of charges in a few years can only be due to poor management of money, no? It's not the banks fault is it?
Well it is really, go a quid or 2 overdrawn, then hit with a £35 charge for going over, then a £5er a day charge for being overdrawn, so come payday (weekly) you could be £50 down straight away, rather harsh for less than the price of a pint.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

deal with it

If I was to get charged for going overdrawn one month, I certainly wouldn't do it again and again and again. Hence I have only run up maybe one or two charges in the last 10 years.
Get of your fuckin high horse Christian , who are you to talk about peoples financial states, they can be forced by a number of reasons ie ill health,redundancey,I know my mam had a breakdown a few yrs ago and my dad had to run the house ,was unable to and therefore they fell behind,just recovering now TBH and that was 8 years ago

Its illegal to charge us 25 quid per charge so thats that end of
So before you come on a public forum acting all gung ho just think not everyone just pissed there overdrasft up the wall and is now looking for a way out.....Remember ITS WAS FUCKIN ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:24 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

christian,seriously,get a grip,the charges are illegal,therefore they shouldnt have been made,so regardless of how many times i go overdrawn,which is none of your business,if i get charged illegally then its my right to contest it,isnt it?
i have been charged 190 quid before for going a couple of pounds over my limit,ok,my fault for doing it,but 190 quid????i dont fucking think so.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:24 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

Occassionally is one thing, but to run up £4k in 5 years means a charge almost every month. That means one of 2 things. Earn more or spend less. Simple as.

I aren't disputing whether or not it's unfair that the banks charge for this, more that people have managed to run up SO much in charges without learning from their mistakes.
stop being ignorant and appreciate that we aint all as rich as you.

if you have 6 or 7 direct debits going out a month its hard to keep track on finances in your bank
Old 29-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by andre_k

stop being ignorant and appreciate that we aint all as rich as you.

if you have 6 or 7 direct debits going out a month its hard to keep track on finances in your bank
Rich?

I work 20 hours a week, probably only make £150 a week max

There is a difference from being rich, and being sensible! If i know i have a £50 phone bill Direct Debit coming out, i MAKE SURE there is £50 in my account! Simple.

For the record, im not disputing the fact that the charges are ridiculous, as no doubt about it they are way OTT.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:32 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

but some companies take "monthly charges" as the same date of every month,others as the last day of the month,others every 4 weeks,which doesnt always coincide with my pay structure!!!!!so if i got 2 phone bills in the same month,as i have had done before,even though i asked for a specific date of billing from the phone company,whos fault is it then?
Old 29-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree with you Christian! 100%

It's got FUCK ALL to do with your earnings, you could earn £10 a month to £2000 for all i care. You signed up for the Direct debits, so deal with them..! As you agreed to do when you took them out

There was some bint in the paper the other day who claimed back over 20 grand on charges! 20 grand for christ sake! Get a grip!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:38 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Bank Charges..(I feel strongly about this one!)

who will suffer with the 'loss' that the banks have made??
loss? you didnt see the profit figures the bank showed the other day then

BTW i didnt claim a penny back,,,as ive never been charged
Old 29-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle2329170.ece

Banking giant HSBC saw profits rise 5% to 22.09 billion US dollars (£11.48 billion) today but counted the costs of increased bad debts in its US mortgages operation.
n the UK, the bank boosted pre-tax profits by 13% to £1.87 billion, with bad debts down 3% to £796 million.
Like they'll really miss a few hundred grand of charge refunds.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:43 PM
coco16i

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen

deal with it

Get of your fuckin high horse Christian , who are you to talk about peoples financial states, they can be forced by a number of reasons ie ill health,redundancey,I know my mam had a breakdown a few yrs ago and my dad had to run the house ,was unable to and therefore they fell behind,just recovering now TBH and that was 8 years ago

Its illegal to charge us 25 quid per charge so thats that end of
So before you come on a public forum acting all gung ho just think not everyone just pissed there overdrasft up the wall and is now looking for a way out.....Remember ITS WAS FUCKIN ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said mate The fact that banks have profited for so long over this ILLEGAL carry on makes it all the more reason for people to claim back the unfair and extortionate charges they have levied against their customers

If somone took something from you and you knew it was illegal im sure you would want something done about it wouldn't you ???

The Banks have got away with this carry on for far to long and i for one am glad something has been done about it, i missed a direct debit payment last month due to my wages not going in to my account on the correct day and as such there was not enough there to cover the debit, wages went in 2 days later and for this cock up that was no fault of my own the bank thought it would be a great idea to charge me 75 quid for the pleasure Is that a fair charge ??? I fucking think not so we are all well within our rights to do something about it and stop the banks having everything their own way and charging whatever they like.

Rant over.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

I'm certainly NOT rich. That's a fact. As I said above, I agree that if has it been decided that the charges were unfair that they should be claimed back. However, it's the constant talk of people with thousands of pounds in charges that concerns me.

I spent 6 months out of employment about 10 years ago and got shat on by my bank, in that I knew a payment was coming out, I asked them to increase my overdraft to cover it as I anticipated it, but couldn't stop it. They said 'no' and the payment went through and I got charged. But that was only once. It didn't happen the next month. I just spent less. Fuck bothering to claim back £25 from 10 years ago!

I will say it again, I AM NOT DISPUTING THAT IT IS WRONG TO CLAIM THE CHARGES BACK!! It's like driving your car through a village at 50mph, sliding off the road and hitting a wall. It's a mistake. They happen. However, you don't do it next time you drive through that village do you?

You're all referring to rare circumstances like Payee's changing payment dates and wages going in late etc, but these things don't happen EVERY month. That I do fucking know.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Have I already said that I DONT DISAGREE WITH CLAIMING BACK WHATS BE WRONGFULLY CHARGED??!!

It's the numpties that make the same mistake month on month for years and years that I am criticising!!
Old 29-03-2007, 04:48 PM
christianh3
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I have just heard on the news that UK banks have suffered a 4000% increase in the amount of people claiming back 'unfair' bank charges in the last 12 months.

So, tell me this. You have all had your £2000, £3000 and £4000's back, but who will pick up the pieces? Who will suffer with the 'loss' that the banks have made?? The banks will take it on the chin? Don't be stupid.

It will be ME and every other person that can successfully manage their money and live within their means that picks up the tab with shitty interest rates, fewer beneficial services and higher charges.

Thanks!
Hey no probs...and thanks for subsidising paying back all this money
Old 29-03-2007, 04:51 PM
ivorbiggun
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Thanks!
Have to agree with Christian on this and remember kiddies all this is stored on data base's 'somewhere'. I've heard already there are people squealing when their accounts are closed for minor transgressions, there's a lot more of this to come and I wouldn't be at all surprised if those of you who have put in these claims do find 'difficulty' with their banking facilities in future.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:52 PM
coco16i

Originally Posted by christianh3

Thanks!
Hey no probs...and thanks for subsidising paying back all this money

Top responce mate
Old 29-03-2007, 04:54 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a joint bank account with Llyods TSB, we used it just for our bills. One month (after 2 years with no probs) my wifes wages went in 1 day late. Because of this Lloyds TSB made over £450s worth of charges in one go. When I went in to question this the manager basically said he didn't care, mainly as we were only a "cash account" customer (our choice, we had no need for a overdraft or cheque book).

Is that fair then?

Is it fuck and thats why I took MY money back off the set of theiving cunts.

The truth is some people ain't as well off as others, and live closer to the edge. For these people 1 or 2 charges can quite easily start them on a downward spiral of getting them every month. This is exactly what happened to a employee of mine, she ended up with over £800s worth of charges. The bank were happy of course to offer her a loan to "help out" of course this was at a crap interest rate. She shouldn't have taken the loan, but was desperate. The bank certainly shouldn't have offered her the loan.

It worked out ok though, because I helped her successfully claim all the charges back and she used them to pay back the reminder of the loan.

Remember that the banks prey on the less well off people. Just because it doesn't effect you, it doesn't mean its right.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

How about if you went to Sainburys to buy your 24 pack of Stella's and they had doubled in price because there had been a run of people the previous week taking them to court because it gave them a headache.
Old 29-03-2007, 04:59 PM
coco16i

How about if you went to Sainburys to buy your 24 pack of Stella's and they had doubled in price because there had been a run of people the previous week taking them to court because it gave them a headache.

I would go to Lidl instead and buy some Bud from there as its miles cheaper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-03-2007, 05:05 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

LOL, another day, another trader complaining

Just jesting Christian
Old 29-03-2007, 05:09 PM
sedan man
PassionFord Regular

Thanks!
i think you you really need to take your head from out of your ass ..
Old 29-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by Graham S1
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2329170.ece

Banking giant HSBC saw profits rise 5% to 22.09 billion US dollars (£11.48 billion) today but counted the costs of increased bad debts in its US mortgages operation.
n the UK, the bank boosted pre-tax profits by 13% to £1.87 billion, with bad debts down 3% to £796 million.
Like they'll really miss a few hundred grand of charge refunds.
Precisely!

Poor rant from you Christian
Old 29-03-2007, 09:17 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The trouble is Christian is right and im with him on this one.

In the 12 years i have worked and had my money payed into my account i have never had a bank charge for any reason. I make sure that i spend less than i earn and plan for larger out goings that will take more than whats goes into the account.

Now the problem is the banks WILL NOT LOSE that amount of money they are having to pay back to customer who have been wrongly charged no matter what profits they made this year or last year, so they will sit down and work out ways to recoup it.

Now they cant keep overcharging overdrawn customers so they got to find a way and the fear i have is they will decide that its the end of free banking and every bank will enforce a monthly charge to handle your money weather your in credit or not and if every bank was to do this there would be no escape from these charges and you would have to pay up to use your account.
Old 29-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Nomaderst
I had a joint bank account with Llyods TSB, we used it just for our bills. One month (after 2 years with no probs) my wifes wages went in 1 day late. Because of this Lloyds TSB made over £450s worth of charges in one go. When I went in to question this the manager basically said he didn't care, mainly as we were only a "cash account" customer (our choice, we had no need for a overdraft or cheque book).

Is that fair then?

Is it fuck and thats why I took MY money back off the set of theiving cunts.

The truth is some people ain't as well off as others, and live closer to the edge. For these people 1 or 2 charges can quite easily start them on a downward spiral of getting them every month. This is exactly what happened to a employee of mine, she ended up with over £800s worth of charges. The bank were happy of course to offer her a loan to "help out" of course this was at a crap interest rate. She shouldn't have taken the loan, but was desperate. The bank certainly shouldn't have offered her the loan.

It worked out ok though, because I helped her successfully claim all the charges back and she used them to pay back the reminder of the loan.

Remember that the banks prey on the less well off people. Just because it doesn't effect you, it doesn't mean its right.
and this is exactly why if everyone kept their money in tins at home we wouldnt have problems, direct debits etc are just a big fcuk about, i wont pay any of my bills direct debit apart from the one for the house, cos i refuse to let banks charge me anymore due to companies taking payments early etc like they did a few years ago.

I was one of the minority who had 1 bank charge that turned into a vicious circle and ended up costing me nearly 2k in charges, and the banks werent willing to help IN THE LEAST

Old 29-03-2007, 09:24 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hes not right,and i already pay for my account,doesnt stop the charges!
Old 29-03-2007, 09:34 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
hes not right,and i already pay for my account,doesnt stop the charges!
The question is why are you paying for your account and why are you being continually charged charged ? If your in credit every month theres no reason to charge a customer IMO.
Old 29-03-2007, 09:41 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

because the account i have costs money to run,i dont get charged EVERY month,but if i do stray then i have to pay the fees. but i pay a £10 amount every month for my account, which gives me certain benefits,such as free travel insurance etc....
Old 29-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

One bank charge can lead to another, all it takes is one charge to fuck your finances up for a long time. I was paying for my bike £40 a month and was due to come out on the 13th of the month but because GE Capital decided to take it on the 11th and I get paid on the 12th I got a bank charge of £35. Before you know it that doubled. I was managing my finance fine thankyou and I was still charged. And when you have to live on £60 a week a £70 Charge is alot of money. So when I have been charged a fulll weeks living I am hardly not going to claim it back am I?
Old 29-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple as i see it, if you havent paid charges give yourself a pat on the back, you've managed your money well .

If your unfortunate enough to have been charged & the bank have taken your money over the years. Then claim your money back and think carefully about how you spend it, see it as a 2nd chance, it wont happen again.

Either way no one is getting anything that wasnt theirs in the 1st place. Just some are getting a 2nd chance to be more responsible.
Old 29-03-2007, 09:47 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been charged once or twice, but thats all, learn from mistakes and all that.

They only time i've had to complain/claim charges back is when they fucked up and sent out payment for an item 3 times somehow then tried to say it was the companies fault when it wasn't.
Old 29-03-2007, 09:49 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Thanks!
So?

My insurance premium no doubt went up because of the likes of you getting banned for street racing.

People make mistakes - you should find something worthwhile to whinge about.

Quick Reply: Bank Charges..(I feel strongly about this one!)