General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO Electrical Gurus....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:07 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FAO Electrical Gurus....

On a car stereo can anyone explain if the mute wire (for handsfree kits etc) requires a positive or negative signal from the device to activate it... Basically I am fitting a Parrot Bluetooth kit into an E46 BMW (52 plate) and have been told an ISO connector is not available for them. Instead I have been told I need to use a Nokia mute adaptor and splice into it... No problem really, it all plugged in ok, however the mute signal coming from the Parrot is negative when activated, but when I join it to what I think is the mute wire is the stereo cuts out abnormally.

Does anyone A: know the state the mute wire from the stereo should be in on idle and B: What the mute wire directly from the stereo is colour wise?

Cheers
Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The connectors are available mate, hang on a tick i'll get you a link.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:13 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

try shorting it to a neg if nothing happens then obviously it needs a positive and doing it this way will not damage the unit. steve
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The probably isn't gonna help you at all but i know it's possible as a mate had a parrot in his e46 and when i took his pioneer out there was loads of additional wires and iso connectors in there!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Davey C - ive got one connector from blueunplugged and it was the wrong one. The plug had blade type connectors but the BMW has round type pins (19 pin?). The guy at BlueUnplugged said they werent available.

rssteve - tried both them mate but neither way worked. This is what is confusing me :S. All I can think of is ive got the wrong wire but up 99.9% sure its correct!

Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Cant find a link, but look on www.autoleads.co.uk
and look for an SOT-080 thats the BMW accessory interface lead.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

What model stereo have you got and what colour wire are you using?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chris this is EASY PEASEY

Assuming you have an audio loom already fitted for another (nokia) kit.
Assuming you are fitting the CK3100
(if not- I can do wiring for the other parrot kits too and also the correct pin locations for a hardwired soldered installation)

In the box you (should) have recieved an iso adapter.

On the end of these adapters that go into the blue parrot box are 2 white plugs.

One with 4 pins (3 used) and one with 10 pins (7 used)

Cut these white plugs off - but leave enough cable so you can join the wires from your audio loom to the white plugs.

What you are aiming to achieve is putting the white plugs onto the BMW audio loom in place of the nokia plugs that come as standard.

4 pin-
Black - Join this to Black of the Audio loom
Orange +/- (switched live) Join to the Blue of the Audio loom
Red + Join this to the RED of the audio loom

10 pin
Pull the 2 line in + and - off they're not needed- just give them a tug.

You will see (if memory serves correct) that what is left is
Blue White Red Black and Yellow.
You only need Blue White and Red.

If you are looking at the white connector from the end the wires go in 2 of them will be on top of each other and 1 to the left.
BLUE- MUTE - Join this to the Yellow of the audio loom
WHITE and RED is + and - for the audio output - cut off the nokia jack plug and splice the white and red onto the 2 wires remaining. Doesn't make a shite of difference which way you do it.

Hey presto works perfectly.

If you want any other tips on a BMW E36 install I'll happily help you- I must have fitted kits in 300-400 of them- I can do a Parrot install PROPERLY as above - and make it look professional inside 25 mins.
(ask tiff )

Jake
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: FAO Electrical Gurus....

Originally Posted by cfoster
Does anyone A: know the state the mute wire from the stereo should be in on idle and B: What the mute wire directly from the stereo is colour wise?

Cheers
Chris

To answer these questions.
A Run a multi meter on the Mute output of the parrot kit- should be (off the top of my head) a floating live of around 7v As soon as a call comes in this goes to earth which triggers the mute on a stereo or as is with the case on the parrot relay box swaps signals around to either input into the stereo and out via the speakers or internally itself to the front speakers- depending on how the speakers are wired.

B The chances of you having a mute wire on your stereo is almost completely unlikely. No BMW E46 I have ever seen has it on- because its only needed on cars with Handsfree kits from factory.
Remove the stereo and with your test light probe the empty holes. I think off the top of my head its the one under the earth (brown) and next to the switched live (thin white/purple)

Jake
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shings - cheers for the reply matey much appreciated. Think it was a case of spending too much time looking at the different looms etc!!! I was using the yellow wire from the small white car loom plug as the mute connecting it to the yellow loose wire on the mute side of the parrot. (used the other wires on that plug as my power source).

Ill give it a go this weekend and see how I get on. I maybe in contact again

With regards to the mute on the stereo, he doesn't have the factory BMW handsfree kit but does have the buttons on the steering wheel (nothing happens when pressing them). Radio wise he has the BMW Business radio/cassette with changer in the boot.

With regards to the adaptor I am using I have used the VA6BMWWIN01 audio/mute interface? Basically on one end it has the plug that goes into the stereo and links to the car loom itself, from there it goes to a small black box (interface I believe?). Another plug on the other side of this small box goes from there to a smaller plug which I believes should plug into a CK7W Nokia kit and also has a audio/headphone type connector which I thnk plugs into the CK7W as well?? Might be best if I take some pics!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Shings - cheers for the reply matey much appreciated. Think it was a case of spending too much time looking at the different looms etc!!! I was using the yellow wire from the small white car loom plug as the mute connecting it to the yellow loose wire on the mute side of the parrot. (used the other wires on that plug as my power source).
If you're taking the yellow AFTER the Parrot black box (relay) it will do weird things as your putting the signals through 2 different relays both trying to do different things.

Ill give it a go this weekend and see how I get on. I maybe in contact again
If you get stuck pm me and I'll happily send you my number.

With regards to the mute on the stereo, he doesn't have the factory BMW handsfree kit but does have the buttons on the steering wheel (nothing happens when pressing them). Radio wise he has the BMW Business radio/cassette with changer in the boot.
It wont be pre wired for a mute then so you need to probe the empty holes with a test light if you're not using a loom- but as you are you'll be fine - at the NOKIA plug end (small black 4 pin plug) connect the mute wire (yellow) to the BLUE wire from the parrot white connector.
MUte established.
To test this probe the blue wire with your test light and it will mute the stereo when connected- make sure it mutes ALL the speakers- if not thats a whole other story and I would need to see a picture of the loom you're using to advise what to do.

With regards to the adaptor I am using I have used the VA6BMWWIN01 audio/mute interface? Basically on one end it has the plug that goes into the stereo and links to the car loom itself, from there it goes to a small black box (interface I believe?). Another plug on the other side of this small box goes from there to a smaller plug which I believes should plug into a CK7W Nokia kit and also has a audio/headphone type connector which I thnk plugs into the CK7W as well?? Might be best if I take some pics!!
Sounds like you have a scorpion intellimute there- they're fine.

As before-
On the black nokia plug at the end of the loom.
Red - Live
Blue - Switched live (may only go live when the car is started as it depends on a few things but starting the engine will test if thats the case if it doesn't go live.
Black - Negative
Yellow - Mute

Jack plug/headphone type socket is + and - for audio input- it doesn't matter which way they're connected - but connect them to the white/red from the WHITE parrot plug and job done.

Its really that easy...

Jake
Old 08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Incidently it took me a while to work all this out and is easier to show you how then to write it down.

Parrot want you to buy the kit and then the adapter from them for the iso to manufacturers loom which makes this easy.

But as most Cellular suppliers dont stock them- they stock the audio lead adapters (which no one orders) you have to splice it all together yourself.

Which not everyone knows how to do properly- as I say it took me a while to sort it out properly.

Jake
Old 08-03-2007, 08:13 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Blimey thanks for that mate . Can you pm me your number anyway! Ill try not to disturb you!!

Chris