General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

the 14 day rule with speeding fines

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:30 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the 14 day rule with speeding fines

is it that the fine has to reach you within 14 days, or has to be sent within 14 days?

i went past a camera van something between 60-70 ina 50 limit, on the 16th of feb, havnt heard anything yet. can i breath a sigh of relief yet or shall i wait until the weekend?!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a min then i thought you was mad mac,,, i was gonna say aint you still on a ban
Old 05-03-2007, 08:37 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

should get it tomorrow mate, bright and early.

Nah i think it has to be with you within 14 days?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Accused_...ge/The_Law.htm

scroll down to NIP and read.

You need to understand the law and your rights and be prepared to fight and stand up to the fookers....

I would post my own experience as regards to the 14 days rule but my posts are mostly ignored so can't be arse.

Some pointers:

This last section should be of particular interest. It means that if the police spent a month just trying to find a record of the car's owner, that month doesn't count as part of the 14 days. Similarly, if your dog tore up your mail with the NIP in it, that too is no cause to bar the conviction.
Take note of the date on the NIP and the date of the conviction.

If it genuiely arrives after 14 days then you will need balls to fights it....!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Temporary speed limits.
You should note that exceeding a temporary speed limit is a non-endorsable offence. This means that you can only get a fine, but not have any endorsements (points) applied to your license. Of course, like most things in law, there is an exception, and in this case it's national speed limits (ie. motorways and dual carriageways). If you exceed a temporary limit on a motorway, such as in roadworks, or the controlled-speed section of the M25, then it becomes an endorsable offence, ie. points. This information is in some dispute at the moment, but came from a traffic officer undergoing basic traffic training so I have no reason to believe that it's false.

Interesting
Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

When i got banned in 1997 for clocking up xxx points i was sent loads of summons after the 14 day period, best thing to do is admit you were doing wrong, they dont like lies and the people who try to bullshit them everyday
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Dannn

Originally Posted by davemark
When i got banned in 1997 for clocking up xxx points i was sent loads of summons after the 14 day period, best thing to do is admit you were doing wrong, they dont like lies and the people who try to bullshit them everyday
No if the NIP is invalid and/or sent outside the 14 day period (without a valid reason) then don't accept it like a bitch. Stand up for your rights and fight it (in court if you have to), you may be surprised at the outcome!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Dannn

oops
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dannn
No if the NIP is invalid and/or sent outside the 14 day period then don't accept it like a bitch. Stand up for your rights and fight it, you may be surprised at the outcome!
Yeah and as i was only a 17 year old shit head i didnt know the in's and out's so i let them do what they had to do
Old 05-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Dannn

No if the NIP is invalid and/or sent outside the 14 day period then don't accept it like a bitch. Stand up for your rights and fight it, you may be surprised at the outcome!
Yeah and as i was only a 17 year old shit head i didnt know the in's and out's so i let them do what they had to do
Are you calling me a "shit head" or referring to yourself ?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:30 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im gonna keep my fingers crossed it doesnt come at all but if it does then ill post again and ask your advice then, seems like a fair few people know the crack!!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Are you calling me a "shit head" or referring to yourself ?
Myself mate
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also,
If it does come make sure it was posted first class!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by arch
Also,
If it does come make sure it was posted first class!
Put a 2nd class stamp over it
Old 05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and haven't received the NIP by now you're in the clear - so long as you have the balls (if necessary) to tell them it's been served too late.

If the vehicle is registered to someone else, so long as the feds issue the NIP to that person within the 14 days they can take as long as they like to get a new one to you, up until the offence times out at 6 months old.

If the RK does get one, and don't return it giving your details for the full 28 days they are allowed, that helps you get towards a time-out.