General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

car siezed by police

Search this Thread

Old 27-02-2007, 11:46 PM
rst230bhp
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car siezed by police

hello guys and girls
but i need some help
i got pulled over today by the traffic police in west drayton, where i work, as one of there vans scanned my number plate and came up showing not insured, i have phoned my insurance broker (performance direct) who confirmed that my insurance is valid, but the actual insurance company (chaucer performance cars) have it as cancelled since the 17/11, as it wasnt renewed, but my direct debits shows as money going out. the insurance company have admittted liabilty as it was there error, where do i stand know coz my car was siezed and has been impounded, will i have to pay storage charges etc, can i complain and get compensation, as i had to take half a day off work today and tomorow.
i was so pissed of when the filth ask me for my keys and to take the piss they broke the handbrake cable when loading it onto one of there trucks, i told the guy that he broke it and i will be sending him, his company the bill. Also i need to right a letter of complaint to the insurance company, any pointers as to what i should, shouldnt write in it.
Old 27-02-2007, 11:53 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

if the insurance company take liabillitty surely its there job to get it back from the impound

i had a car impounded years ago & it cost somewhere in the region of £ 120 to take it & £15 per day in the pound
Old 28-02-2007, 12:23 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I would be raging at my insurance company over this, you want all costs paid and a years free insurance as a minimuim IMO

hope you get it sorted m8

steve
Old 28-02-2007, 12:35 AM
scotty86d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it just past the shell. if so, saw 2 traffic cars loading up loads of cars. i live opposite there

get everything as said above back from your insurance company
Old 28-02-2007, 12:48 AM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is a hard one here can the police do you for not having insurance on your vehicle even though you did, if its been cancelled your still driving without insurance..... i do realise its not your fault but do you see my point

do you have an insurance cover note if not thay could ask you why you havent got one this really is your prove that you know you have insurance
if you dont have one it really is down to you as its your duty to make sure your paperwork come's to you up to date....

if you have insurance paper work stating you are insured then there in trouble by the police and thay are liable for all costs of your car including storage and even damage......

did anyone see that program a few months back some young girl was left in tear's after police stopped her and said her vehicle didnt have insurance she said she had insurance and started crying i felt really sorry for her the police gave her a hard time over it and called for it to be taken away, anyway she managed to get hold of her sister who brought her details to where she was stopped and the police contacted her insurance company to find she was fully insured, the officer gave the insurance company a mouth full over the phone
Old 28-02-2007, 07:39 AM
patchST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Are they allowed to just impound your car, I got stopped by the police for not having insurance, I was insured it just wasn't showing on that system that scans your number plate. I was given a producer. You should have been allowed 7 days to produce your documents.

I'd get on to the chief constable and make a complaint about them not allowing you to prove your insured.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Phil79
Banned

Personally, I'd have sat back in the car and gone back to the pound with them.

It's not YOUR fault the insurance have made a boob, so why should you suffer the consequences.

I understand they are impounding uninsured cars, and I fully agree with this, but if you know your insured, dont just lay down and let them take it

Trending Topics

Old 28-02-2007, 08:41 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I would be fucking furious mate.
Old 28-02-2007, 09:32 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

as said,my car doesnt come up on the police system as being insured,although it is,and i had a producer issued to me. id be getting all costs paid for by insurance company if it were me,and a hire car till theyve sorted it and delivered it to your door!
Old 28-02-2007, 07:24 PM
rst230bhp

scotty86d
was it just past the shell. if so, saw 2 traffic cars loading up loads of cars. i live opposite there
yeah thats right just after the shell petrol station in that little layby

rsbaz
if you have insurance paper work stating you are insured then there in trouble by the police and thay are liable for all costs of your car including storage and even damage.....
i have my insurance certificate which states im covered

patch st
I was given a producer. You should have been allowed 7 days to produce your documents.
i did ask but was told "we dont play that game anymore"
but was still given a producer

fukkin idiots

i called up my insurance company (chaucer performance car) had a right go at them also told them i will be sending letter of complaint, and that i will be claiming for loss of earnings fuel bills to collect car etc and if im not happy with there response, i will be contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service, Im awaiting there respone

Old 28-02-2007, 07:33 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Does your cert have all the right dates on etc to show you're covered?
Old 28-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's also the insurance company's responsibility to update the insurance database, car traders can get a hefty fine if this isn't done, so should be the same for the insurance co.

It's a pain in the butt, but not really the copper's fault....
Old 28-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 89XR2
Does your cert have all the right dates on etc to show you're covered?
interested to hear the answer to this one as well,seems strange.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:20 PM
arch
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whilst we use the Insurance database, it's not "our" system. It is updated (or at least should be) by insurance companies.

Did you have your certificate with you? Have you produced at at the nick?

Erm, why are they -ahem, idiots for giving you a producer when legislation states they should?

If you are/were covered when your car was siezed then the police are liable to pay storage/removal costs. It's my understanding that you still pay costs initially then claim it back from police. We in turn pay the recovery operator a lower fee.
Old 28-02-2007, 08:25 PM
leecavturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty!
the country is officially shit.
if the cops can check if you have insurance whats the fookin point of a producer
is it even legal to sieze a car for only 1 descrepancy? i thought it would have had to have been used in a unsocial/dangerous manner also ?
i don't know why you insurance its in the form of a tax disc then there is no doubt, i bet no one would object to that? the public i mean
Old 28-02-2007, 09:42 PM
steventoon

Originally Posted by arch
Whilst we use the Insurance database, it's not "our" system. It is updated (or at least should be) by insurance companies.

If you are/were covered when your car was siezed then the police are liable to pay storage/removal costs. It's my understanding that you still pay costs initially then claim it back from police. We in turn pay the recovery operator a lower fee.
Officers need to be careful relying on the PNC to decide whether a vehicle is insured or not. As stated above it is down to the insurance companies to update the system. However, as not all insurance companies use the database or are slow to update then if the PNC shows no insurance then this should act as a trigger for further investigation and not carte blanche to uplift every car.

Did the Officers speak to your insurance company via phone when they stopped you ?
Old 28-02-2007, 09:45 PM
steventoon

Originally Posted by Phil79
Personally, I'd have sat back in the car and gone back to the pound with them.

It's not YOUR fault the insurance have made a boob, so why should you suffer the consequences.

I understand they are impounding uninsured cars, and I fully agree with this, but if you know your insured, dont just lay down and let them take it
Then you'd have ended up getting nicked for obstruction. Not a good move really.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i must state here while we are talking about this....

o.k the lad has had his car taken of him because it doesnt state on the system that it has insurance does anyone object to this happening to them ??????????????????

lets face it if the police didnt impound every car that doesnt state it has insurance what happend if thay let them go up the road then bang thay have hit your brother sister mum dad or any member of your family and kills them, you will be the first to fly shit about the local police force,,,

i beleave the police have every right to impound your vehicle if it doesnt show on there data base that it has insurance unless you can prove it yourself , if you did have insurance you should make a claim from the insurance company your with........

where is your car now anyway whats happening about it
Old 28-02-2007, 10:29 PM
rst230bhp

f the cops can check if you have insurance whats the fookin point of a producer
my thoughts exactly and why tell me they dont give out producers and then still give me one

my insurance certificate has all the correct details and it was also checked by the police at the vehicle pound, I have my car back in my possesion now and if there was a prob with my certificate the vehicle wouldnt have been released.
the police called my insurance company who told them my insurance was never renewed when it expired in nov 2006, but when i spoke to the broker they confirmed my insurance was valid, i have proof to show regular payments via direct debit an insurance certificate, from the insurance company themselves showing policy details.
i did say to the police that there is obviously some kind of mistake and if he speaks the insurance broker(who i had on the phone at the time) they will confirm i am covered and that there has been a mistake, but the officer didnt want to know and said he will not speak to them as he has spoken to the insurance company. if the officer had spoken to them they would have probably sorted it out there and then

Old 28-02-2007, 10:38 PM
rst230bhp

ets face it if the police didnt impound every car that doesnt state it has insurance what happend if thay let them go up the road then bang thay have hit your brother sister mum dad or any member of your family and kills them, you will be the first to fly shit about the local police force,,,
fair enough mate, i dont have a problem with the police for stopping cars with no insurance, i actually think its a good thing, but i dont think they went about it the right way they could have sorted it out there and then, there was no need to sieze it, i even offered that i can get a lift home and come back with all my documents, there reply was sorry its now siezed and you have to allow at least 5 hours before you can claim it back, in other words i can collect it tomorow and pay charges, i cant see the sense in that , i could have proved that i am insured to them within the hour
Old 28-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what you had to pay to get it back
Old 28-02-2007, 10:46 PM
rst230bhp

£105 recovery charge and £17 for storage for the day
not only that i had to take a day off from which i dont get paid for and also fuel costs in my mates car for taking me to the pound and they had to take it to a car pound miles away from where i live, took 1.5 hrs to get there
Old 28-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just interested to know what insurance company this is so I don't use them
Old 28-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

jesus mate put a claim in for the lot and the fuel you was charged for in your mate's car did you keep recipt for that
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
patchST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I have no problem with uninsured cars being impounded, what I have a problem with is that my and I'm sure other peoples insurance isn't showing on the police system even though I've had my car for well over 8 months and have been insured from the day I bought it.

I've been made to feel like a criminal just because there computer system is crap.

Then I had to spend over an hour in a police station with the scum of the earth(not meaning the police) whilst the police looked at my documents.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 AM
LeviA

That's shocking

I had a car taken off me in 94, vindictive bastard copper went through my car and thought it was a ringer, as the paint code and chassis number didn't match. I rang Ford and said it was very likely that the body of the car was made in April and the chassis in March.

I went back armed with my new knowlege after 4 months of it sitting in the pound. When it was going to be Q'ed the DVLA guy asked me why the Police were Q'ing it. I told him (this guy was the head honcho) and he said it looked perfectly legitimate to him. I asked him to speak up then and tell the cops. 'Nah I'm not going to contradict them, I don't want to lose my job son'

Fucking disgusting, so I ended up with a Q'ed car for frankly fuck all. Tossers the lot of 'em

Wasn't only on a Q but had oil stains over the interior, acid burns on the chassis number, scratches and rust when it went in it was perfect.