General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ducati 916 SP3

Search this Thread

Old 18-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ducati 916 SP3

.....anyone got any info on these or links?..One has caught my eye carbon everything but i cant find any info other than they are a limited run..this one is also an import...apparently higher BHP over the std BP?

Any help appreciated!
Old 18-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help you out with your specific question but I can tell you it can't be all that quick because a 996 isn't all that quick and that's got to be faster than the one you're on about...

We've had two and I wasn't too impressed with them: plastics are prone to cracking, the feel relatively heavy and are not that fast BUT having said that: they handle well if set up properly!
Old 18-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Anonymous
Banned

..already had a 916BP and is far nicer to ride than my R1 hence why i want a collectors one to keep ...apparently its 130bhp std.

(not on about speed the r1 is monte fast...but no good around b roads IMO to wide...916 was a beaut )
Old 18-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Hooligan

I know what you're saying, if I was to have a bike for keeps I'd rather have the Ducati but I also don't like the R1

Honda fireblade 2000 upwards is so much nicer! Smoother, easier to ride quick.

I've got a 996 in for spares as well just now, fancy a set of noisy cans?
Old 18-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

buy it and strip it.

ive had over 100 now,not all sp's but have had t least 30 sp's.
Old 19-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Anonymous
Banned

...yes but whats an SP-3 ???????
Old 19-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Phil an SP3 is just an SP in all reality i think all the changes on it were internal such as materials for valves etc , theres certainly no changes visually to look at an SP and SP3 .

Also for it to be making 130 hp it would have needed to be fairly tuned as a 996R with a power commander and 63mm WSB Termis only made 134 hp

If you want a collectors duke from that era then try and get an official Foggy Rep

What I found shocking about those bikes was they didnt even come with Ohlins Forks and they were about Ł25K new
Old 19-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Anonymous
Banned

The SP3 that i am looking at has everything carbon the marceshi wheels and ohlins rear shock....still got the brembo's..still the Showa forks!..Looks sexy as fuck ...The foggy rep is too much...you can get a troy ballis for about 7k though......
Old 19-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Phil they came with an Ohlins rear shock as standard anyway , even the SP did .

As for the Marchesini`s and carbon , these were most likely added on after the initial buy or extras someone has fitted . The only bikes from memory fitted with the wheels were the 916 SPS and then the 996`s
Old 19-02-2007, 11:37 AM
sunny
PassionFord Post Troll

Sell something and buy a 1098 instead.
Old 19-02-2007, 12:49 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote="Hooligan"]I know what you're saying, if I was to have a bike for keeps I'd rather have the Ducati but I also don't like the R1

Honda fireblade 2000 upwards is so much nicer! Smoother, easier to ride quick.

Got to agree with you there mate, my last 1000RR Fireblade was so comfy and settled at speed it made it far to easy to cruise along at 130 odd and make it feel like you are only doing 50 !!!!

Had a shot of a 749 Ducati recently and have to say i was totally disappointed and was not nearly as good as everyone makes out, felt really slow and gutless and very uncomfortable even on a short run.

I think with Ducati all you are buying is the exotic Italian name, same as Ferarri ( sorry Phil !!!! )
Old 19-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Petrucci
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's why they blast everyone in SBK i think, because they are slower

Don't compare a 749 to a 1000 cc, and even worse to a 996 or a 916 please, it's not really the same world. Those engines have the most character ever created on a bike, period.
And they're also the most beautiful bikes ever designed...

Oh, and it's "Ferrari", not "Ferarri".
Old 19-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...looking at a Neil Hodgson 996 too..ltd edition carbon everything
Old 19-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Out of interest where would you keep it if its just a show piece?

If i had a mansion size living room i'd like one in a glass case set flush into the wall

DOnt think the mrs would allow it though
Old 19-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Out of interest where would you keep it if its just a show piece?

If i had a mansion size living room i'd like one in a glass case set flush into the wall

DOnt think the mrs would allow it though
How awesome would that look mate.
Old 19-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Hooligan

Pet: crap comparisson mate.

WSBK is another league altogether, can't compare that to a roadbike.

YOU think it's the best design and YOU think the engine has the most character...all down to personal taste/belief.
Old 19-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Petrucci
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry, but no. I for one know the differences between road bikes and WSBK ones. But if they manage to blast everyone in racing, they can do it on road too. Very easy to understand
And i'm not the only one to think it has the best design and character, mate. It has been voted the most beautiful bike ever designed, 3 years ago, by lots of international bike magazines. And i was not taking part to the vote
Do this, go out with a 13 year old 916 and a 2007 R1 or CBR. Stop on a nice area, in the summer, and let people pass near the bikes. Look which gets the most attention... the 13 year old 916, and no one can deny this. And it DOES NOT look like a old fashioned bike ! Look at what 13 year old GSXR's or CBR's look like...

As for the character, i've owned tons of different bikes, and am not biased to a particular brand or anything else. I buy what i prefer, not the contrary. And if I am perfectly honest, sorry, but nothing has the character of a Ducati (or maybe a KTM, a Buell, or a Triumph in a different architecture.) But jap bikes, no way.
Jap bikes are very fast, they are reliable, they are almost perfect... but they are tasteless if you're a bike purist .

Same goes for Jap cars, IMHO. No matter how fast or powerful a Honda may be, it will still be a Honda. Take it this way : maybe it's too perfect for being fun or full of character, i don't say it is CRAP. I just say it's boring
Old 19-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Lampchop i have painted my garage white with a red floor and got it heated and flagged up Ferrari sits happy in there...at the back i want a Ducati or anything else italian and collectable ..probably a Duke though
Old 19-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Hooligan

Pet: I for one happen to know the differences between a SBK and roadbike as well and I think the GSX has been the most sucsesfull bike in racing so....

In racing it's about the bike, the rider, the team and luck coming together, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not into Jap bikes or cars AT ALL...I've owned a couple of Buells, Ride a Harley and a Husaberg...all of them are shit but full off character.
I do think the 916 looks very dated but to be fair nowhere near as bad as a 13 year old gixxer or something of the sort!

In a straight comparison ON THE ROAD most riders will be quicker on the Jap bike due to the fact that they are lighter, more powerfull, easier to ride and less sensitive to suspension setup.

Do I like them? NO, so I'm not biased either
Old 19-02-2007, 05:50 PM
coco16i
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrucci

That's why they blast everyone in SBK i think, because they are slower

Don't compare a 749 to a 1000 cc, and even worse to a 996 or a 916 please, it's not really the same world. Those engines have the most character ever created on a bike, period.
And they're also the most beautiful bikes ever designed...

Oh, and it's "Ferrari", not "Ferarri".

I wasn't comparing the 749 to a 1000 mate but i can honestly say the 749 felt slower than my old CBR 600, quite a bit slower!

And i dont agree that Ducati's blast everyone in SBK, Troy Corser virtually dominated the 2005 season on if im not mistaken....NOT a Ducati but a truely magnificent Suzuki GSXR 1000.

Ducati prob have sank more money into SBK racing than any other manufacturer and know now that they cant keep up with the other Jap manufacturers, that is why they have campained so hard for the new 1200cc ruling so as to try and give them an advantage again.

Im just not a fan of Ducati and think they are overpriced overrated unrelaible poser bikes. Seldom do you find on a track day anyone with a Ducati that can remotely keep up with anyone on a Jap bike, most owners buy them mainly as a status symbol and to try and show to other people that they are in a class above them! Much the same as most Ferarri owners......oh im sorry i mean FERRARI
Old 19-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Lampchop i have painted my garage white with a red floor and got it heated and flagged up Ferrari sits happy in there...at the back i want a Ducati or anything else italian and collectable ..probably a Duke though
Sounds ace

BTW its LamBchop