General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anti lag.....

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I would test it is to rev the car to 6000rpm in third gear, come OFF the throttle allowing the revs / rollers to slow the car down to 5000rpm. As soon as it hit 5000rpm, step on the throttle again and rev to 6000rpm - repeat with ALS on. Then using the T6 or Pectel monitor data-logging, check the time that it took to get from 5000 to 6000 on each run. In theory the run with the ALS on should take a shorter time, as the ALS would have kept the turbo spooling off throttle, whereas with it turned off, you would just be relying on the exhaust gasses to spool the turbo back up.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:07 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

so you can measure it on a dyno then?
Old 21-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by GARETH T
do you can measure it on a dyno then?
I have never seen a timed run scale before, but maybe?

However, using the Pectel datalogging would be MUCH more accurate.
Old 21-02-2007, 11:43 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
mike if you want to run through the gears on full throttle on a dyno,, you do a normal gearchange which means the throttle WILL go below 4%
I meant full throttle being used in the lower gears you numpty . Have you EVER seen a CAR rolling road operater accelerate full throttle through the gears? NO, thought not .

So EVEN if you could persaude someone to do that (and risk launching the car off the rollers ), all you would notice is less of a drop off in bewteen the shift "dips" on the graph. Nothing more than that .
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...q=skyline+dyno

Old 21-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
mike if you want to run through the gears on full throttle on a dyno,, you do a normal gearchange which means the throttle WILL go below 4%
I meant full throttle being used in the lower gears you numpty . Have you EVER seen a CAR rolling road operater accelerate full throttle through the gears? NO, thought not .

So EVEN if you could persaude someone to do that (and risk launching the car off the rollers ), all you would notice is less of a drop off in bewteen the shift "dips" on the graph. Nothing more than that .

hahhaahaaaa unlucky mike

i was gonna dig out that vid but forgot.

harvey gibbs obv didnt tell mike about mustang dynos and the fact they safe to launch the car and drive it as hard as poss on there
Old 22-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Mike Rainbird
Old 22-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I wouldn't even know where to find a dyno like that in the UK, although I am sure there must be a few?

Most seem to be the twin roller type, which would mean that the car would climb out of the rollers if that was attempted .

Mega video, but you can hear the wheel-spin, so would not give any accurate print out in the lower gears .

Skylines sound awesome at high revs .
Old 22-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

What about Dynapack (HUB dyno's), woud they not enable the comparative full throttle in lower gear ALS test that we are after?

Old 22-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
What about Dynapak (HUB dyno's), woud they not enable the comparative ALS test that we are after?
If they are able to do full bore runs without overloading the retarders, then yes you could do a full bore run like on the above video.

However, I keep telling you that there will be no difference in the boost curve (threshold) therefore POWER curve, other than less of a drop off between the gears and a faster re-spool ONCE INSIDE THE BOOST THRESHOLD! Which part of that don't you understand .
Old 22-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

However, I keep telling you that there will be no difference in the boost curve (threshold) therefore POWER curve, other than less of a drop off between the gears and a faster re-spool ONCE INSIDE THE BOOST THRESHOLD! Which part of that don't you understand .
The part where you once said "Test DONT guess" .............so the burden of proof is on YOU

Old 22-02-2007, 08:23 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
The part where you once said "Test DONT guess" .............so the burden of proof is on YOU

I have had ALS on my car for four years - I think I understand what it does and doesn't do .
Old 22-02-2007, 08:35 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by big_wig_074

Awesome video. Loving the noise and flames
Old 22-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I wouldn't even know where to find a dyno like that in the UK, although I am sure there must be a few?
collins performance have a Superflow chassis dyno like that, was fitted last year.

they use a 4 foot roller for each axle to give maximum contact patch and simulate a normal road as best as poss, and they both rotate at the same time, hence the wheelspin i guess as the rear would have more torque bias on the launch