General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Advise needed please. Bad day!"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
MJC
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise needed please. Bad day!"

had a nightmare of a day today, really peed off

Went to Power Engineering today to have my MOT and new suspension components fitted. Passed it MOT fine Mort de rire but the MEF stuff wouldn't fit.... didn't line up etc. Unfortunately I wasn't there as I'd popped off and left them to it so couldn't see if they were making an obvious mistake. Doubt they would though as they are very professional. Hence why I took it there!" Anyway, they only charged me for the MOT and not the time they had spent trying to sort the above which I thought was decent of them. I have left them with the MEF stuff and they are going to contact Martin to see what the crack is with them.

I also asked them to have a good look at my brakes as I have never been 100% happy with them and I have noticed one front wheel builds up considerably more brake dust that the other. Thought maybe I hadn't bled them properly (they were a nightmare to bleed) They have checked them out and all were bled fine but one brake line is braking far harder than the other and have been told its likely to be the original bias valve. Can you still get these?

As i jumped in the car to drive off, I said to the misses 'something doesn't feel right with the car'. It sounded fine outside, but inside it had a very slight fast vibration..... thought maybe it was me or the car was having a funny moment. Carried on driving and after about 10min I knew something wasn't right!" Checked all the wheels incase they hadn't tightened them up properly and looked at the suspension as best I could incase they missed something, but all seemed fine. I got home, whipped all the wheels off and looked everywhere. Couldnt find anything!" I have a feeling it might be either the gearbox mount or engine mount as it feels like your sitting on a washing machine. There is a clonking sound when changing gear and the car feels awful if I put it in reverse. Can engine mounts/gearbox mount go just like that? was fine when I left it with Power Engineering. Picked it up and its knackered can this happen or do you think someone has been mistreating my car?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM
MJC

Have just got off the phone to Moza and apparantly that brake bias is just for the rear brakes, so doesn't explain the reason why one front wheel is braking harder than the other and one rear wheel is braking harder than the other.....?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
S1

I take it is the opposite corner wheels that brake ok, ie front left and rear right work ok but front right and rear left dont. Most probably a dodgy master cylinder.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
MJC

Thats exactly it mate!" The front right and rear left are breaking harder than the front left and rear right. Is that the most likely thing then. How can I test it to confirm its the master cylinder?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
S1

IIRC Its a split diagonal system. If the Bias valve failed i wouldnt expect it to affect the front braking, only the rear. If its definitely been bled then it must surely be the master?

How did it pass an MOT with dodgey brakes?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
MJC

They said it was only minor so its fine for the MOT. You couldn't tell anything was wrong when driving. I only thought there might be a problem as there was more of a build up of brake pad dust on one wheel.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

It can only be a master cylinder/caliper at fault on the braking issue.

With the MEF parts, my car is full of MEF bits. The only bits I don't have is the alloy top mounts and the front tie rods. Every thing fit spot on first time.

PM NUTS RuS. He might be able to assist.

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Calipers are brand new... and im on the case for more info over what m/c is used etc. Missed a call off Mike today whilst I was away

Ref the MEF stuff, again need more info, but it will be sorted.

90% of problems sometimes come with the offset spacers on the TCA.

Some places dont know which way round to fit them and get it wrong, you then dont get any angle adjustment off them. A quick call usually sorts it out

Call you back tomorrow Mike

Tony
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
MJC

Cheers Tony