General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

very quick home wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:25 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts
Default very quick home wiring question

my house is 3 years old and the fan in the bathroom doesn't work properly so I am removing the timer from it, the house wiring is red, yellow, blue which is which?

I guess red live
yellow earth,
blue neutral is that correct

google turned up fook all!!

steve
Old 09-02-2007, 02:15 PM
S3an
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

it should be 4 core for the fan, the extra one being for the timer i think. not sure though. think it could be the yellow one for the timer. i would speak to a sparky
Old 09-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

more than likely:

one will be permanant live,
one will be switched live,
and one will be neutral.

the ONLY way to tell is to test with a meter - or look at the terminals where they came from on the old fan - never assume with electrics

edited to say - this is assuming its a 240 volt delay off fan - these are about 12 quid for a complete new one in screwfix.

if its a 12v one, the would only be 2 wires as the transformer/timer would be mouted remotely - but my guess is that its a 240 v one - but again - check.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:53 PM
daveselwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont count on yellow to be earth .earth is yellow and green
Old 09-02-2007, 04:57 PM
daveselwood

get an electrician to tell you as if its 230v its more than likely that blue is neutral,and the other two are lives one swithched and one permanent ,doesnt it have any markings on it i.e L,L1,N
Old 09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yello wwill be switch live,

but being three years old it should really be in new colours, brown, grey, black

the earth is the bear copper core,
the cable you have is three core and earth

just buy a new timmer
Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can see a "i've done everything right but the breaker keeps tripping" phone call coming on

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

actually, havning worked on houses that have had 'amatures ' touched them, and i dont mean to offend when i say this but

DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT

it really isnt worth it, shouldnt fuck with electrics, which is why electricians go to college for several years and spend several thousands of pounds on testing equiptment

last house i worked on the fuse board caught fire due to some home bodgeing

just open the yellow pages mate
Old 09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

zippyobrien

Agreed there are loads of cowboys out there playing electrician though i've worked with 50yo blokes in the pst and you feel like saying to them where the fook have you been for the past 30 years cause it aint been spend doing electrics
Old 09-02-2007, 05:37 PM
sedan man
PassionFord Regular

show me some pics of what you have and i will help you mate..not a sparky now but spent a year in colege and 2 as a mate..or do me a rough sketch of what wires you have.....
Old 09-02-2007, 05:38 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

The new (harmonised) colour cables may be used on site from 31 March 2004. New installations or alterations to existing installations may use either new or old colours, but not both, from 31 March 2004 until 31 March 2006. Only the new colours may be used after 31 March 2006. Colour is not an issue for your installation. Red is usually permanent live, yellow is usually switched live and Blue is usually neutral I do say usually! Its also worth remembering it is currently illegal for an un-registered electrician to carry out work in domestic premises so for a householder to try is just dangerous plus could void any insurance on the building
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
tiny

Originally Posted by teamfatboy
The new (harmonised) colour cables may be used on site from 31 March 2004. New installations or alterations to existing installations may use either new or old colours, but not both, from 31 March 2004 until 31 March 2006. Only the new colours may be used after 31 March 2006. Colour is not an issue for your installation. Red is usually permanent live, yellow is usually switched live and Blue is usually neutral I do say usually! Its also worth remembering it is currently illegal for an un-registered electrician to carry out work in domestic premises so for a householder to try is just dangerous plus could void any insurance on the building
Nos strictly true, any competant person can carry out electrical work, but the difficulty is , what makes somebody competant,
i can tie my own shoe laces, doesnt mean i am able to rewire my house.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:24 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

the best way to prove competence is through recognised qualifications such as city and guilds electrical installation. I cannot legally as a fully qualified electrician carry out electrical work on my own property without being registered as Part P compliant. yes it is a joke but if it cuts out cowboys and homeowners thinking they are electricians because their brothers wifes dog knows a man who is, its fine by me
Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM
tiny

How does that stand with a part p qualified sparks that carnt tie his own laces, and what is to stop a competant person doing a rewire and getting it
inspected, and certificated afterwards.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
teamfatboy
Frog Tosser

I don't care
Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm an Electrical Technician, I am not part P registered, I CAN carry out electrical work in my or anyone elses' house but I would have to have it inspected and certified by a part P registered person.

I'm also Corgi registered but cannot carry out work on gas in my own or anyone elses' house, as my registration is only for commercial gas equipment.

A friend of mine has just spent Ł80 on a 1 day P.A.T testing course and is now "qualified" to carry out P.A.T testing and issue certificates, I can not.
Strange world isn't it?

Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 AM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

cheers for the replys guys, I have fixed it tho,

I turned the twiddly dial( rheoestat spl)) (that controls the amount of time it's left on) to minimum and it now switches off about a min later, perfect!!

steve
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this is slightly off topic but still relevant...

re the part P bollox,,,

i'm now a professional engineer and can design stuff at work that is in contact with literally 100s of people and prior to that i was a instumetntation/control technician ( wich is basically a glorified spark ) and i can work on and install industrial stuff upto 200A (with my current swtching authorisation) but yet i'm not allowed to re wire my own house - i understant that they are trying to clamp down on cowboys with the part P etc, but if they were that bothered abaout it - why do they let B&Q and wickes etc sell electrical stuff!?!?

in NZ or OZ you have to prove your qualified JUST to buy the stuff
Old 10-02-2007, 01:34 PM
tiny

You are allowed 2 do it, it will just have to be inspected, and certificated afterwards, thats what makes all the part p, a load of bollox.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:43 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

[quote="zippyobrien"]actually, havning worked on houses that have had 'amatures ' touched them, and i dont mean to offend when i say this but

DONT FUCKING TOUCH IT

it really isnt worth it, shouldnt fuck with electrics, which is why electricians go to college for several years and spend several thousands of pounds on testing equiptment

last house i worked on the fuse board caught fire due to some home bodgeing

100% accurate mate,i went to a customers house he says his shower wasent working

10.5kv shower and he wired it in .75 flex

his xmas tree in the loft was all burnt and everything