General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mac VS PC

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 10:47 AM
User 32922
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac VS PC

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

ok the ads are good, but i still prefer the PC

think Microsoft should make some comeback vids

Paul
Old 06-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

got to say i've owned a mac now for about 6 months, and wouldnt go back to a pc, owned a pc for about 10 years.

even better is now the mac's are intel based like mine so you can run windows on dual boot so there perfect, the only thing pc's are better for is gaming, but thats what the xbox is for.

Im a converted man, so happy with my imac mini.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:01 AM
cbp
Regular Contributor

Nah.. the Mac is also a good machine for games these days.
And with the possibility to run Windowzzz you can also run programs like 3D studio max with NO problems whatsoever..

Not many machines that can run 3 operating systems.. Mac OSX, windowzz and Linux....
and then its the looks...
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0ZElXTABo

mac v pc - pc wins
Old 06-02-2007, 11:21 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing wrong with Mac now, once you get used to the operating system. The OS can be a little flaky and you cannot get a lote of software for them. but with intel chips and duel boot thats sorts it out.

My main hate with them is they way they are marketed, they are cool cool cool, and before faster than PC's

The G5 for fuck sakes Apple said it was the fastist desktop ever. Hmmm Lie. I have at home the fastest destop of the time. HP XW8000 the reason they could get away with it is the G5 2 proccessore was cheaper than the xw8000 twin so the matched it with the single proc xw8000. which it could just beat.

its all the lies from Apple and the total tosspots who wear ipods on there arms, to me its like total cunts who wear Blue tooth ear peices.

The Ipod is not bad but there are better ones about the same price and you don't look like a total prick wearing one
Old 06-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i got a power book g4,,,, also got 4 fucking pc laptops all fucked and 3 fucking broken pc's

my pc is only on so i got my wireless conection for the g4

i also gotta agree with the BEST thing that you dont have to reboot to add new hardware on my mac

also films dont freeze asmuch

downside is the 5 different region dvd's then its stuck permanantly stuck on the 5th one

apart from that its the best !!!!!

gonna replace the pc with another mac soon as i can be bothered but its only used as a msn machine for the missus these days anyway so who cares

mac wins for me too
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I hate Macs

Charlie Brooker
Monday February 5, 2007
The Guardian

Unless you have been walking around with your eyes closed, and your head encased in a block of concrete, with a blindfold tied round it, in the dark - unless you have been doing that, you surely can't have failed to notice the current Apple Macintosh campaign starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, which has taken over magazines, newspapers and the internet in a series of brutal coordinated attacks aimed at causing massive loss of resistance. While I don't have anything against shameless promotion per se (after all, within these very brackets I'm promoting my own BBC4 show, which starts tonight at 10pm), there is something infuriating about this particular blitz. In the ads, Webb plays a Mac while Mitchell adopts the mantle of a PC. We know this because they say so right at the start of the ad.

"Hello, I'm a Mac," says Webb.

"And I'm a PC," adds Mitchell.

They then perform a small comic vignette aimed at highlighting the differences between the two computers. So in one, the PC has a "nasty virus" that makes him sneeze like a plague victim; in another, he keeps freezing up and having to reboot. This is a subtle way of saying PCs are unreliable. Mitchell, incidentally, is wearing a nerdy, conservative suit throughout, while Webb is dressed in laid-back contemporary casual wear. This is a subtle way of saying Macs are cool.

The ads are adapted from a near-identical American campaign - the only difference is the use of Mitchell and Webb. They are a logical choice in one sense (everyone likes them), but a curious choice in another, since they are best known for the television series Peep Show - probably the best sitcom of the past five years - in which Mitchell plays a repressed, neurotic underdog, and Webb plays a selfish, self-regarding poseur. So when you see the ads, you think, "PCs are a bit rubbish yet ultimately lovable, whereas Macs are just smug, preening tossers." In other words, it is a devastatingly accurate campaign.

I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui.

PCs are the ramshackle computers of the people. You can build your own from scratch, then customise it into oblivion. Sometimes you have to slap it to make it work properly, just like the Tardis (Doctor Who, incidentally, would definitely use a PC). PCs have charm; Macs ooze pretension. When I sit down to use a Mac, the first thing I think is, "I hate Macs", and then I think, "Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament only got one mouse button?" Losing that second mouse button feels like losing a limb. If the ads were really honest, Webb would be standing there with one arm, struggling to open a packet of peanuts while Mitchell effortlessly tore his apart with both hands. But then, if the ads were really honest, Webb would be dressed in unbelievably po-faced avant-garde clothing with a gigantic glowing apple on his back. And instead of conducting a proper conversation, he would be repeatedly congratulating himself for looking so cool, and banging on about how he was going to use his new laptop to write a novel, without ever getting round to doing it, like a mediocre idiot.

Cue 10 years of nasal bleating from Mac-likers who profess to like Macs not because they are fashionable, but because "they are just better". Mac owners often sneer that kind of defence back at you when you mock their silly, posturing contraptions, because in doing so, you have inadvertently put your finger on the dark fear haunting their feeble, quivering soul - that in some sense, they are a superficial semi-person assembled from packaging; an infinitely sad, second-rate replicant who doesn't really know what they are doing here, but feels vaguely significant and creative each time they gaze at their sleek designer machine. And the more deftly constructed and wittily argued their defence, the more terrified and wounded they secretly are.

Aside from crowing about sartorial differences, the adverts also make a big deal about PCs being associated with "work stuff" (Boo! Offices! Boo!), as opposed to Macs, which are apparently better at "fun stuff". How insecure is that? And how inaccurate? Better at "fun stuff", my arse. The only way to have fun with a Mac is to poke its insufferable owner in the eye. For proof, stroll into any decent games shop and cast your eye over the exhaustive range of cutting-edge computer games available exclusively for the PC, then compare that with the sort of rubbish you get on the Mac. Myst, the most pompous and boring videogame of all time, a plodding, dismal "adventure" in which you wandered around solving tedious puzzles in a rubbish magic kingdom apparently modelled on pretentious album covers, originated on the Mac in 1993. That same year, the first shoot-'em-up game, Doom, was released on the PC. This tells you all you will ever need to know about the Mac's relationship with "fun".

Ultimately the campaign's biggest flaw is that it perpetuates the notion that consumers somehow "define themselves" with the technology they choose. If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that "says something" about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality. Of course, that hasn't stopped me slagging off Mac owners, with a series of sweeping generalisations, for the past 900 words, but that is what the ads do to PCs. Besides, that's what we PC owners are like - unreliable, idiosyncratic and gleefully unfair. And if you'll excuse me now, I feel an unexpected crash coming.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM
User 32922

Old 06-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Rather have Linux than OSX and Windows

Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

I do like the Linux adverts though, think they are really well done and express the ethics and ideals behind the opensource movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZOOpTGvgB0
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJ...elated&search=
Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Mircosoft Vista Re-introduced (think this is a good vid - shows you how mac like Windows is attempting to be)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdGt3ix2CQ

Microsoft never brings out anything new - its never developed an application that has changed the user experience.
Apple is to controlling and focused on being kewl
Linux is the alternative... whatever that be
Old 06-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by lead_foot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g&mode=related&search=
lol... I like that, it shows the flexibility of Linux and its not far from the truth, I still have a 486 DX4100 running
Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

the best mac adverts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCQM...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYYTP...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vX6Z...elated&search=
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Nothing but Mac's in my house. If I wanted something made by ten different companies that point at eachother saying it's the other guy's driver that's not working then I'd get a PC. (sheesh... super long sentence! LOL).

What I find to be so funny is that the Windblows faithful call us Mac owners "brainwashed cult".. Uh, if I was brainwashed then I'd have a PC
I use a PC at work and HATE IT!!! fooking thing can't even shut down without having a fecking error!! BTW.. who was the brain behind the click the "Start" to shut down??
Vista... is what Mac has already been doing but of course better. Why does the OS come in different versions? Crap, really crappy, feckin crap, and Utter crap? LOL.

Whatever little things Windoz had that didn't work with the Mac is gone now with the Intel Macs.

-Erik
Mac user/owner since OS 6
Old 07-02-2007, 07:39 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fastmaul,

I have worked withs Mac's since os 6, Upto Os X the operating system have been utter shit.

I don't need to have a nortons disk with me every time I use windows.

Mac support, have you ever tryed to get parts of them fucking usless.

They are getting better, but they have a long way to catch up to windows.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

LOL @ all the stereotypes. Anyone who's worked with computers for any length of time knows that the biggest problem they ALL have, is the USER
Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Billabong
LOL @ all the stereotypes. Anyone who's worked with computers for any length of time knows that the biggest problem they ALL have, is the USER
Yeah just like the biggest threat to network security is the human element also. But with Microsoft windows you can have a monkey or a coder in front of the system and it can still crash with either.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Fastmaul
K155MYRS

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
Fastmaul,

I have worked withs Mac's since os 6, Upto Os X the operating system have been utter shit.

I don't need to have a nortons disk with me every time I use windows.

Mac support, have you ever tryed to get parts of them fucking usless.

They are getting better, but they have a long way to catch up to windows.
We'll just agree we have different opinions then
I find Windoz to be the worst of the OS's out there. The only catching up Mac's need to do to windows is showing users which computer is actually better (not cheaper).
And as for parts support, my co worker's dog ate his laptop keyboard, they wouldn't sell him a replacement at all (Dell). I think this goes with any big computer companies (I would think). DIY home computers don't really count.

Vista, what a joke..

Oh and NT.. I finally found out what it meant!

NO Thanks!

When did Windows 95 come out? what about Windows 98?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:44 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The Mac could not multi thread multi task till OSX and then it cheated and used Unix. Enough said me thinks.

but then again nor could 95 98, but windows NT could. wake up and smell the coffee you seem to be living in cloud kookoo land.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:47 PM
wes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AMEN
Old 07-02-2007, 06:52 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

True but like the old saying goes.... To crash a Unix you have to work at it... to crash Windows you have to work on it

Old 08-02-2007, 01:02 AM
jammy86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

This is true.

I'd die if i had to use a mac. The fact that they switched to x86 says it all IMHO.

oh and linux is great, if your a geek and have nothing better to do with your life than spend all night getting your usb pen to work, or print off a word document in colour (if your using millitary HW or designing stuff for aircraft then you may use linux, and servers too). If you use linux day to day you need to get a girlfriend. UNIX, you cant crash it but you would want to if you actually used it for anything but servers.

Windows FTW! it works, it does all that it needs to do, its fool proof, and once people write powertoys for Vista and the service pack comes out, it'll be useable too. Im not against the corporation because Bill has earned every penny he has, because he's smart enough to make a program that can do what it says on the tin, which is make computers useable. I live with 2 CS students who couldnt get Linux to run between them... I've seen retards install windows.

JAmes.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:49 AM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ive got a 15" mac book pro. im studying graphic design and the mac is so much easier to use quickly and easily compared to a pc when using design programmes. i think its fair to say that macs dominate the design world for genuine reasons and theres no doubt about it
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 AM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ram in piss ant firms, but in big companys the Mac is gone.

I work for Northcliffe media, the biggest local news paper group in the UK.

Owned by Trinty, Macs are gone long gone what can a mac do in media that a PC cannot?

please tell me I would love to know.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
LeviA

I wouldn't use anything but a Mac, they just work. Have an Powerbook and and a Mac Mini for purely downloading from newsgroups

None of this virus checker stuff, no pop-ups and other annoying ad-ware.

Easy to install and uninstall programs.

Windows users, you're worse than mad! I'd never go back to Gates' shitty software.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by jammy86
oh and linux is great, if your a geek and have nothing better to do with your life than spend all night getting your usb pen to work, or print off a word document in colour (if your using millitary HW or designing stuff for aircraft then you may use linux, and servers too). If you use linux day to day you need to get a girlfriend. UNIX, you cant crash it but you would want to if you actually used it for anything but servers.
pmsl... top comments and occassionaly true... Linux can be a nightmare to get things working on sometimes due to hardware support from manufacturers, I generally have the most problem with 3D support in ATI graphic cards.. It must be said however that hardware detection these days is pretty good in general since Novell and IBM jumped onto the wagon, I suppose this adds viability to it...

PS... I have a missus and a daughter, so Linux hardware support must have worked enough to allow that situation to happen
Old 08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
jammy86

Your old though How many people above 22 know how to use Linux? Everyone I know at uni right now that can work Linux doesnt have a bird....

JAmes.