General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

IS IT WORTH ME GOING ON A WATER METER??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IS IT WORTH ME GOING ON A WATER METER??

Hi all live by myself at the mo and im away 4-5 days a week working, at the mo im paying £29.96 a month water rates..........will it be worth me going on a water meter??and what are u lot paying on a meter? cheers all ..P.S also can i request one F.O.C?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:32 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

remember once you go on one,, you cant go back!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:33 PM
COSSIE 1

yeah heard that mate ust would be interesting to see what the difference will be?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Marc LJX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what happens is, they fit it and you dont get a bill for 12 months. Then they tell you what youve actually used to compare with what your water rates would have been. Then you have to decide wether you want to keep it, and if you say yes, its there for good...

My cheeky fucking next door neighbour, went on a water meter a couple of years ago...
Then he comes up to me one day, and asked if i was on a meter (At this point i didnt know he was).
I said no, so then he asked me if he could use my outside tap to water his bastard garden!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Marc hope you told him to Fook off..

Paul...you would be quids in. £30/month would be enough money for a family of 4.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:00 PM
COSSIE 1

Originally Posted by Dave Ridge
Marc hope you told him to Fook off..

Paul...you would be quids in. £30/month would be enough money for a family of 4.
and im away 5days a week .......will ring up and see what they say
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

We're with Northumbrian Water and paying £36 a month on rates. We're getting a meter installed in 2 weeks time and have been told to expect a saving of £150 per year on our water. We are out a lot during the week and only home at weekends.

Its definitely worth doing. And yes, the meter install is free.

Thanks

Matt
Old 02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
COSSIE 1

well rang them up and they are going to send me out a questionaire but she said ill defo qualify,they will then send out an engineer to see if they can fit one, if they cant then i will pay the average for a 1 person so it will be £154 yr at the mo im paying £240 (thames water)....if i get a meter fitted will be £120ish max but probably £100ish as im away so much ...also i can get it switched back FOC if i decide i dont want it or its costing me more etc 12 months after getting it fitted
Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

Meters are more about getting people to save water and not waste it on gardens, dripping taps etc.
I recon in the south they'll become compulsory eventually if water shortages continue in the future.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see it costing you more. I think our water is about £30 per month on a meter and thats 3 of us living in a 3-Bed Bungalow with a big garden.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM
COSSIE 1

will probably save about £150 yr
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

i pay £6/7 a month on a meter!

yes i do wash but 90% of the time i get a shower at work
Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

She was defo fobbing you off.....if you have her name i'll get her bollocked!!!

Meters 'should be installed FOC,and if it's not a simple fit,the enabling works should also be FOC...
Old 02-02-2007, 03:59 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

we are a family of 4, have 3 bathrooms, dishwasher and washing machine (that gets caned) and the water bill is £21 a month on a meter, I also use the hosepipe loads to wash cars.

you will be quids in
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

our meter reading for the quarter over the summer period was £80 and thats with filling up pool and topping it up everyday

so Its under £30 For us family of 4 3 bed house per month
Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

We swopped over and instead of paying £300 a year the bill is now around £200. That was having baths all the time as well before we got the shower installed. We water the garden everynight in the summer to.

As said, after the first 12 months you can switch back but cannot do it at a later date if you wanted to.
Same as if you moved property and a water meter was already installed, you cannot have it removed. You'd stay on that meter.
Install is free btw.

Do it and try it out. If it works (which I think it will) then you'll save money. The only people who don't are families with about 5 kids who have the washing machine and dishwasher on the go 24/7.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

we pay 17 per month on a water meter. Im a builder so my clothes need washing all time and we have a month old baby so her stuff needs washing all the time..the washers never off Also we NEVER was the pots we use the dishwasher everyday! So yeah youll save
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
starturbo

Originally Posted by rs shawn
We swopped over and instead of paying £300 a year the bill is now around £200. That was having baths all the time as well before we got the shower installed. We water the garden everynight in the summer to.

As said, after the first 12 months you can switch back but cannot do it at a later date if you wanted to.
Same as if you moved property and a water meter was already installed, you cannot have it removed. You'd stay on that meter.
Install is free btw.

Do it and try it out. If it works (which I think it will) then you'll save money. The only people who don't are families with about 5 kids who have the washing machine and dishwasher on the go 24/7.
Thats coz you were never there mate.I pay £30 a month but she washes a single item of clothing at a time.Ive tried time and time again to tell her but she doesnt listen.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been pondering the meter thing aswell. Guy that lived in the house I am buying says water rates are £20 a month, but after readng this, I'm thinking about going for a meter. Live alone, am out at work most of the time, don't have a dishwasher, so only the shower, central heating and washing machine to use water (well, and the sink to do dishes, if I can be arsed )

Reckon it'd work out less than the £20 a month then?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Originally Posted by starturbo
Thats coz you were never there mate.
This was after I moved back closer mate
Bills still similar even tho I'm back living at home during the week as well
Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
jaimesdna
Advanced PassionFord User

i pay £8 per month on a meter & i use a hose pipe alot in the summer to wash the car/water the garden. deffo worth it
Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

See, I don't have a garden as such (as in no grass, just a few plants/trees/bushes etc) and I don't have a car to wash (was the van at work every few months ) so I wouldn't be using a hose a lot, if at all.....

But I do have showers instead of baths (so lots of water running dow the drain) and I have a nasty habit of leaving taps running in sinks rather than filling the sink up with the plug in
Old 03-02-2007, 07:51 AM
scottbrown

on a meter...

all new houses are fitted wit meters by law now, my mate is paying more on his meter for 2 peeps than me and the mrs are....

all the saving water thing is bull shit, water companies passing the problem onto the consumer, if they were more interested in fixing the network rather than create dividends for share holders there would be no water shortage. 80% of water is leaked before it reaches the end consumer yet the robbing cunts make a big deal about us the customer saving water.

privatisation was the worst thing for the water system...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Originally Posted by scottbrown
80% of water is leaked before it reaches the end consumer yet the robbing cunts make a big deal about us the customer saving water.
Agreed mate.
Here's an article from last summer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4681211.stm

Thames loses 915 million litres a day, the regulator said - enough to fill 366 Olympic-sized swimming pools
But all they do is increase prices...
Companies make me mad sometimes
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

I had no choice to have one house is only a few years old.

Mines about £30 a month. for myself and Josh

(thats with a bath each a day and paying for a cock up united utilites did)
Old 03-02-2007, 07:02 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

80% of water is leaked before it reaches the end consumer yet the robbing cunts make a big deal about us the customer saving water.
Agreed mate.
Here's an article from last summer: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4681211.stm

Thames loses 915 million litres a day, the regulator said - enough to fill 366 Olympic-sized swimming pools
It's a lot more in depth than that,leakage is bad no doubt,but improvements are made all of the time!!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by bud-weis
Agreed mate.

It's a lot more in depth than that,leakage is bad no doubt,but improvements are made all of the time!!
Good friend of mine works for Thames Water and says it is complete shite, and virtually no attempt to sort the leakages is made
Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

yeah to be fair thames are shite,however it's not that easy to find leaks in a big city!!

finding a leak is done by detecting one thing: NOISE

in London it is never quiet so it makes finding a very quiet sound very difficult

not many water leaks are visible btw......although visual ones are left running way too long,but that's another story
Old 03-02-2007, 08:00 PM
scottbrown

but if more was spent on repairs instead of divadends then surely our bills would go down...
Old 03-02-2007, 08:08 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

well i don't know much about Thames,but i know a lot about Severn Trent,and the process should be the same....

Ultimately OFWAT decide what your bill will be..;

There are 4-5 year periods called AMPs,a water company will say to OFWAT we want to charge x amount for the period,this is based on a number of performance related factors and many other complicated things.basically OFWAT will see how the company performed in the previous AMP,and then say they can charge them x amount.

There are many areas in which water companies need to perform,if they don't then the following AMP they will have less money,simple as!!

Severn Trent are currently spending around £150m over the next 2/3 years or so (can't remember the exact figures) replacing 10's of Kilometeres of water mains (again can't remember the exact figure )

It may seem expensive,but in the last 10 years how many times have you NOT had perfectly clean potable water? i bet it's not many....remember some countries don't even have water they can drink
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Treen

If you live on your own they have a scheme called 'solo'... my mate has that and pays about £12 a month - great considering we pay about £400 a year
Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 PM
scottbrown

well i don't know much about Thames,but i know a lot about Severn Trent,and the process should be the same....

Ultimately OFWAT decide what your bill will be..;

There are 4-5 year periods called AMPs,a water company will say to OFWAT we want to charge x amount for the period,this is based on a number of performance related factors and many other complicated things.basically OFWAT will see how the company performed in the previous AMP,and then say they can charge them x amount.

There are many areas in which water companies need to perform,if they don't then the following AMP they will have less money,simple as!!

Severn Trent are currently spending around £150m over the next 2/3 years or so (can't remember the exact figures) replacing 10's of Kilometeres of water mains (again can't remember the exact figure )

It may seem expensive,but in the last 10 years how many times have you NOT had perfectly clean potable water? i bet it's not many....remember some countries don't even have water they can drink

but we pay more in a month for our water bills than they earn in a life time...

I do understand mate, but it simple terms if the comapnies didnt leak as much water then shortage would be less of a problem.

years of neglagence since privatisation have lead to the state it is in now, hence why so much is needed to be spent.

IMO all utilites should not be run for profit or the shareholders as this becomes a priorty not price and service for the end consumer.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 PM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

as i said though,if the service degrades,then so does the profit

countries i was referring to aren't third world either

Your correct about leakage affecting shortage,i see first hand where a lot of money goes,and a LOT is wasted!!

eg,myself and the 2 lads working for me cost Severn Trent £100k+ for the past 6 months! (i work for a professional support company)
Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Agreed mate.

Got to laugh at this lot on PF They moan about leaks, then when there is roadworks to mend the leaks they moan about those fuckers
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Well I laugh at you cos most roadworks I see are just that: for the road, not fixing water pipes
And they don't seem to make the road any better half the time.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Well I laugh at you cos most roadworks I see are just that: for the road, not fixing water pipes
And they don't seem to make the road any better half the time.
very rare resurfacing goes on...most roadworks are digging holes to put something in or mend...
Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Not round here...