General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Broadband without a BT line?

Search this Thread

Old 31-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband without a BT line?

I want to change my broadband service to a cheaper one ( ) but all the providers i've come across so far require you to have a BT line, but im with Telewest cable.

Does anyone know of a provider who will supply broadband through a cable line at all?

Old 31-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not sure that they can AJ - due to all ADSL suppliers using the BT network. Have you tried phoning customer services and saying you really like the service blah blah, but the price is no longer competetive? Worked for me with NTL...... 4MB down from £25 p/m to half that
Old 31-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

There are many options now for DSL due to the unbundling of the local loop. What this means is Openreach supply the wires and you are billed by another Service Provider. Its a bit like paying Tesco for your Gas. Tesco do not have pipes etc and neither do BT officially or any of the other suppliers. Think of is like Transco and British Gas. One supplies you and the other bills people.

Shop around and you may well be using Openreach(BT) wires but paying someone else.

Graham
Old 31-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

won't happen... the local loop and communications of the phone network are open and licensed.
Cable fibre are owned and operated by said cable company
Old 31-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taz
There are many options now for DSL due to the unbundling of the local loop. What this means is Openreach supply the wires and you are billed by another Service Provider.
DSL or xDSL, is a family of technologies that provide digital data transmission over the wires of a local telephone network. Because digital subscriber line's operate through a telephone network the local loop being unbundling makes not one bit of difference in this situation as the original post states that his services are provided by a cable company which means his phone, tv, and internet is provided via fibre optic cable.

To use a DSL provider you have to have a phone connected to the BT network... cable is not on this network
Old 31-01-2007, 05:28 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

AJ.....

Sit tight mate,Branson has just bought Telewest/NTL etc and i suspect that once they are under the Virgin Media banner there will be a little price war to the benefit of us customers....

Fookin hope so anyway,£35 a fookin month at the mo...
Old 31-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by The Diva
AJ.....

Sit tight mate,Branson has just bought Telewest/NTL etc and i suspect that once they are under the Virgin Media banner there will be a little price war to the benefit of us customers....
I hope so
Old 31-01-2007, 07:12 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Billabong
Not sure that they can AJ - due to all ADSL suppliers using the BT network. Have you tried phoning customer services and saying you really like the service blah blah, but the price is no longer competetive? Worked for me with NTL...... 4MB down from £25 p/m to half that
Yep, call up to disconnnect. My aunt just got her broadband halved in price because she was saying she was going to BT
Old 31-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by gurnE
Originally Posted by Billabong
Yep, call up to disconnnect. My aunt just got her broadband halved in price because she was saying she was going to BT
I called them & they started asking about which package i'd been offered from another company, i said i'd call em back
Old 31-01-2007, 07:38 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 31-01-2007, 07:42 PM
M3

Here's a free number to contact NTL on. 0800 052 9403

I tried this a few months back (rang to cancel as offered a better deal)
They cut my bill in half.