General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving another car on your insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 20-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Stoned
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving another car on your insurance?

My insurance policy entitles me to drive other cars. Just to check though does the other car have to have an insured driver on it?

My housemates 306TD is sitting on the drive going nowhere because he hasn't renewed the insurance yet and I really need to borrow it tomorrow.

What the deal with this, is owners permission enough? I've found nothing but conflicting information on this question!

Cheers
Old 20-01-2007, 06:12 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think he has to be insured on the car aswell?
Old 20-01-2007, 06:15 PM
tregmatt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

your housemate needs to have insurance on the car first before you can use it, then if you burrow it , you be covered by your insurane but if there isnt any in your friends name, yours will be avoid
Old 20-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I think this is a grey area!

while your driving it then techincally yes BUT if you park it somewhere on the road then probably not (imagine if it rolled off or something draft!).

Also remember mobile cameras not only check for speeding but also check to see of the car has insurance/tax/mot. This car would be picked up as having no insurance and it could be difficult to prove it acutally did!

I have asked the DVLA and insurance companies about this and never been given a straight answer. In my mind if stopped while driving I would say your OK but be prepared to prove it in a court of law!
Old 20-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Stoned
Regular Contributor

Sounds about right Dannn, the police website merely states

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q533.htm

Question Q533
Can my car be driven by my friend if he has a fully comprehensive policy that allows him to drive other cars if my car is not insured at all?

Answer
It is always best in these circumstances to talk with your friend's Insurance company as these are the people he/she has entered into a contract with.

Most companies specify what you can or cannot do and if it says on the insurance that it allows your friend to drive someone else's car then he/she would be covered. However he/she must read the full wording of the policy document and of the actual certificate to ensure that this is exactly what it does say.

There are a number of pitfalls with this situation (for example, the level of cover may only be third party) and the importance of disclosing the potential risk to your insurers as part of your contractual liability cannot be stressed enough.
So another grey area!
I would call HIC and check with them... but they are closed for the weekend
Old 20-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dannn
Not on my insruance policy it's not. If the car your driving isn't insured, your not insured.
Old 20-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

At least yours it clear. I have never had a policy which says that the other car has to be insured by its owner etc! So from this I have always driven other cars that are not insured but taxed/mot. However I am convinced if I had ever been stopped etc I would have had to prove it in court which I think I would have won!

Originally Posted by Escy
Not on my insruance policy it's not. If the car your driving isn't insured, your not insured.

Trending Topics

Old 20-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Puss2
Formerly know as Puss

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Escy
Says that on mine too
Old 22-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Stoned
Regular Contributor

Well in case anyone was interested I called Adrian Flux and they have confirmed I am legally allowed to drive other cars that are not insured. The only downsides is that the cover is 3rd party only and it only extends to when I am behind the wheel. It would not be insured at the side of the road for example.

I have requested written confirmation of this by email for proof, but knowing Adrian Flux I’ll have to wait a month if it ever actually arrives at all

All good though and confirms what a lot of people in the insurance industry have been telling me on another forum. The bottom line is it's down to *your* insurance company so ask them!