General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford Puma

Search this Thread

Old 17-01-2007, 07:25 PM
BigMouthBillyBass
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Puma

Just got the Mrs a Puma 1.7! 02 plate, in panther black muck 'n shit attractant colour, same as my Focus It hasnt got those horrid propellor alloy wheels either, it's got some ford multi spoke ones instead that look well tasty

got a couple of questions.

It's got a dog-shit panasonic head unit in it at the moment, i'm assuming this isn't standard fit? I've got a JVC KD-SH909R (Damn good head unit ) i'm going to bang in there in it's place, but the speakers will probably be gutless

How easy is it to replace the standard ford door speakers? Can i just go and buy some from Halfrauds that'll be a straight swap, or do i have to change the cabling etc??

Also, 6x9s in the shelf? Cutting the holes shouldnt be too difficult, i'm just curious as to how they wire up, as there's no existing 6x9s there. Is it a pain the arse job, not worth bothering with? Am i best sticking with changing the door speakers only? Done head units before but never messed with speakers

She's been and picked it up today so i'm not entirely sure if it has rear speakers at all as she's not home yet - has anyone got one and can shed some light on what it's got?? Forgot to check when we test drove it

Am i right in assuming that the 1.7 engine is a bored-out version of the 1.6 unit from the Fiesta Zetec-S?? Struggling to think of any other ford's that have had a 1.7 engine in recent years

I never thought i'd see the day when my mrs was driving a (quote) "shitty ford" (unquote)... the amount of stick i've had about my Focus from her
Old 17-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

The HU will go straight in, the front door speakers are 5 1/2 inch so theres plenty of aftermarket speakers to choose from. As for 6*9's dont bother, the puma shelf is weak as it is, without the weight of them!!
Just put some good 3 way speakers in the rear quaters (sp.) then it'll all look factory!
Old 17-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

And the 1.7 was something to do with yamaha iirc
Old 17-01-2007, 07:37 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

Originally Posted by Davey C
The HU will go straight in, the front door speakers are 5 1/2 inch so theres plenty of aftermarket speakers to choose from. As for 6*9's dont bother, the puma shelf is weak as it is, without the weight of them!!
Just put some good 3 way speakers in the rear quaters (sp.) then it'll all look factory!
Nice one Don't actually know what model Puma it is other than a 1.7 (The improved alloys made me think it was an end of range model with stuff banged on), as the thunder special edition had leather/cd changer, and ours hasnt.

need to investigate further
Old 17-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

It'll be a millenium or thunder edition if itd got spoked wheels rather than the propellors. Have a gander on www.pumapeople.com I found it a bit clicky, but there's loads of info on there. Learnt how to reconstuct the front end of my missus's puma from there!
Old 17-01-2007, 07:59 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

i looked here http://www.puma-web.co.uk/

Definitely not a thunder or a millenium...i think it's just a standard 1.7i tbh.

The millenium was only sold in yellow, and the thunder comes with leather and 6CD as standard. the V5 says Ford Puma 1.7i (shes just got back with it now, looks fuckin mint!)

its got these wheels on here

but ours is black!
Old 17-01-2007, 08:02 PM
BigMouthBillyBass

uh oh.... i shouldnt have even looked.... giving me bad ideas!!!

http://www.clemente.co.uk/puma/html/puma_cossie.htm