General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Warranty on second hand parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ford DID sell all there old cossie engines for 1500 quid,,,, it WAS graham goode who bought em all and ALL of em was sold BEFORE the days trading started,,,,,, ask DOO as he was in work on time that morning to buy a few

they never had many though

it is DEFO true though but was a bit of a moody deal iof that makes sence

also last year they flogged all there escos rear spoliers for fuck all aswell as,,,,, something else but cant remember

oh and after 2 years we also just CHUCK parts in the bin,,,,,, yes LOTS of nice stuff have been binned

one of our good inwards staff when checking the old shite pile PUT A HAMMER THROUGH A FOCUS RS HEADLAMP cause we had it for over 2 eyars,,,,,, seriously some of our staff just see parts as a label on a box
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

there was also a load of water damaged engines too if i recall,,,,, think that might have been cosworth its self though
Old 07-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm sure it was some of your group that worked at ford years ago that mentioned it a they get a news letter round all the dealerships with old stock parts there selling off cheap to employees.

Even you were buzzing on about it at the time i'm talking a good 5 years ago but if youask a few people i'm sure someone might remember as i do.

Not saying its true but thats what a few of them were sayig at the time like jay bash etc
Old 07-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
ford DID sell all there old cossie engines for 1500 quid,,,, it WAS graham goode who bought em all and ALL of em was sold BEFORE the days trading started,,,,,, ask DOO as he was in work on time that morning to buy a few

they never had many though

it is DEFO true though but was a bit of a moody deal iof that makes sence

also last year they flogged all there escos rear spoliers for fuck all aswell as,,,,, something else but cant remember

oh and after 2 years we also just CHUCK parts in the bin,,,,,, yes LOTS of nice stuff have been binned

one of our good inwards staff when checking the old shite pile PUT A HAMMER THROUGH A FOCUS RS HEADLAMP cause we had it for over 2 eyars,,,,,, seriously some of our staff just see parts as a label on a box
Just shows that the point he made wasnt worth the effort then as he was trying to make a point that 2k was expensive same as you

If ford decide to sell stuff cheap ,,or smash it up doesnt make a second hand item worthless does it

Anyway , to be honest i dont care if you think my engines or anyone elses are expensive ,,if you dont want it there are plenty of people who do ..

Back on topic PLEASE
Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

I think you misunderstood what i was saying.

I simply put ford sold a load off for 1500, i wasnt implying that cause they did this yours are expensive, but was sort of saying that they did sell them cheaper than 13k which is what you were saying.

I aint bothered in the slightest as i dont intend on buying a 10yo cossie motor ever again
Old 07-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Fiecos Dan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally think it depends on the item.

but do believe there should be some sort of warrentie, may be a month tops.

But the part will need to be proven to be at fault, or thats its the same part brought.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 PM
rswoza
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

imo engines should only be sold at exchange prices for reconditioning/ rebuilding.same with turbos and gear boxes.

but thats general parts that are readily avaialbe.

rs parts arnt readily available.

i sold an engine to a local lad,ran fine fired on the first turn etc... 2 months later he blew it up...i told him to get his car set up properly but he never listened and he only needed the engine off me cuase he blew up his previous one the same way. i found ou why he blew his first engine.....running 25psi on a rs turbo without any other real mods to handel it..in car adjustable boost etc no big inercooler.

i think the only thing that traders can do regarding engines,turbos,boxes etc is offer a fitting service, many places do....so long as it fires and runs/idels fine or doesnt smoke or gearbox whineing then thats it.
a trader/breaker can not be responsible for the way someone drives there car.

thats the key point, i drive sensible....ive seen the way some of the other nutters drive, different driving standards have different effects on the car and service of the parts bought.if a second hand turbo came supplied with a main oil feed hose would you use it? bet theres quite a few who do, but you should replace it.

cosmetic parts such as interia,bumpers,doors,glass etc is simple inspect on delivery.

but its an interesting point thats been brought up, and if you put yourself in the traders point of view for a minute its difficult to work out just what to do.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by rswoza
imo engines should only be sold at exchange prices for reconditioning/ rebuilding.same with turbos and gear boxes.

but thats general parts that are readily avaialbe.

rs parts arnt readily available.

i sold an engine to a local lad,ran fine fired on the first turn etc... 2 months later he blew it up...i told him to get his car set up properly but he never listened and he only needed the engine off me cuase he blew up his previous one the same way. i found ou why he blew his first engine.....running 25psi on a rs turbo without any other real mods to handel it..in car adjustable boost etc no big inercooler.

i think the only thing that traders can do regarding engines,turbos,boxes etc is offer a fitting service, many places do....so long as it fires and runs/idels fine or doesnt smoke or gearbox whineing then thats it.
a trader/breaker can not be responsible for the way someone drives there car.

thats the key point, i drive sensible....ive seen the way some of the other nutters drive, different driving standards have different effects on the car and service of the parts bought.if a second hand turbo came supplied with a main oil feed hose would you use it? bet theres quite a few who do, but you should replace it.

cosmetic parts such as interia,bumpers,doors,glass etc is simple inspect on delivery.

but its an interesting point thats been brought up, and if you put yourself in the traders point of view for a minute its difficult to work out just what to do.
Thanks for a serious and sensible reply

Glad to see there are people who understand why we cant / dont warrant engines / boxes etc etc
Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Paul,

do you think you and other traders will suffer because of this thread.

will people now think twice before buying used parts, i certainly will.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 PM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
Paul,

Or will people now use ebay even more as it seems a little like either way there isn't a lot of comeback

Martin
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Tarren
Advanced PassionFord User

Paul,

Totally agree Dave

This thread im sure has got lots of people thinking where the hell they stand, and they dont have a leg to stand on as far as buying used parts

it all seems to me onesided in favour of the traders
Old 08-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Paul,

Dave
thats there choice mate

I have never had any serious slaggings for selling crap parts and the fact if i did sell somthing that wasnt as it should be i will do somthing about it should say to people that i am a honest trader and i do look after my customers

The point of this thread was to ask people there opinion on what they expect as a warranty on second hand parts , simply because how can i improve my service and offer a warranty that people expect if i simply have no idea what they expect

I know feel that a 7 day warranty will probs keep most people happy on cheaper parts , but engines and boxes etc can be heard and tested so i feel thats good enough to be honest .

I do offer a warranty on engines / boxes etc if they cant be heard running tho
Old 08-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by grchmason
Paul,

Totally agree Dave

This thread im sure has got lots of people thinking where the hell they stand, and they dont have a leg to stand on as far as buying used parts

it all seems to me onesided in favour of the traders
How can this be one sided in the traders favour when what i was doing was simply trying to find out what people expected so i can improve my service
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by S2martin
Paul,

Or will people now use ebay even more as it seems a little like either way there isn't a lot of comeback

Martin
Keep using e/bay mate i see more and more posts on here where people are moaning about shit they bought from e/bay , but dont see any complaints about the traders on here and who says you dont have any comback from me or other traders on here Have i not given examples where i have replaced goods for people ???
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i still like the meens testing idea of payment
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 AM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
Paul,

Martin
Keep using e/bay mate i see more and more posts on here where people are moaning about shit they bought from e/bay , but dont see any complaints about the traders on here and who says you dont have any comback from me or other traders on here Have i not given examples where i have replaced goods for people ???

Think i've only used ebay twice for car bits i've actually had more bother buying from people off of here than any traders/ebay

Yeah see your point about comebacks and you have given examples but without sticking my entire head up your arse i've never heard a bad word about you to be fair so if i was buying something and your description/word was all i had to go on i wouldn't have a problem with buying something
right gotta go wipe my nose as it is a little brown now

Paul do you actually have many comebacks though? for arguments sake like 1 in 20 is a comeback or 1 in 50 etc any ideas?

Martin
Old 08-01-2007, 10:20 AM
MARCOSWORTH
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

One or two weeks should be enough i think,as long as it's well discribed in the advert or agreed with the buyer,only to avoid misunderstandings.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Paul,

Martin

Think i've only used ebay twice for car bits i've actually had more bother buying from people off of here than any traders/ebay

Yeah see your point about comebacks and you have given examples but without sticking my entire head up your arse i've never heard a bad word about you to be fair so if i was buying something and your description/word was all i had to go on i wouldn't have a problem with buying something
right gotta go wipe my nose as it is a little brown now

Paul do you actually have many comebacks though? for arguments sake like 1 in 20 is a comeback or 1 in 50 etc any ideas?

Martin
To be honest martin I get aprox 5 a year MAX simply because i do try my best to check all parts before i ship them
Old 08-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by col cos1
Paul how would it work on say a second hand t5 box,if fitted and say one of the syncros was knacked and it crunched when changed quickly in a certain gear,but whos to say it was like that originally or the buyer had been half clutching it into gear and knackered it himself???

This is why i dont well buy second hand. I only try to use new or refurbed parts with clear warranty details and a fooking receipt

You see all this did you damage it as you fitted it

was it damaged in transit

warranty has run out mate sorry 1 week 2 week 1 month etc this should be made clear by all traders before selling to peeps before hand

Thats why im staying well clear thanks
I always tell my customers what warranty they get mate if they dont get one then i always tell them then there is no bad feelings etc

By your reply you must have had some bad experiance with second hand goods

what you must remember is i and other traders sell thousands of parts every year and have thousands of very happy customers and thats why we are still in business , but , its expected that one or two may get a bad deal, you get that with new parts etc ,, its how we deal with it that matters

a bad deal post is always 5 pages long but a big up never gets past page 1

I totally agree with what your saying

and hope you do sell millions of parts good on yaa big boy

Its just i can afford to buy new so i do simple really. Saves me all this crap about being sold iffy parts etc then to be told to send it me back to you then you will check it etc

I no i am lucky i can afford to buy new or refurbed and others cant so thats fair enough

i just think its a bit of a grey area with what people should or shouldnt get as to warranty on parts and this is why this is a good thead

why dont you tell us all what your warranty on parts is?? give us all an idea on how you work etc

Hell you might even supprise me
havent you just bought some second hand plug leads from an advert on this site

Seem to be giving me a hard time about second hand good ( that you state you wont ever buy ) and there you are the very next day doing exactly what you say you wont do

Just made a total joke of everything you have said

What warranty did you get mate ??? or let me quess ,,you didnt ask

Sorry mate , but i just couldnt resist it , and have quoted your reply to the advert below to refresh your memory

1X SET FORD MOTOR SPORT 909 IGNITION LEADS Ł30

I will have them fella PM me your payment details
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Tarren
Advanced PassionFord User

Paul how would it work on say a second hand t5 box,if fitted and say one of the syncros was knacked and it crunched when changed quickly in a certain gear,but whos to say it was like that originally or the buyer had been half clutching it into gear and knackered it himself???

This is why i dont well buy second hand. I only try to use new or refurbed parts with clear warranty details and a fooking receipt

warranty has run out mate sorry 1 week 2 week 1 month etc this should be made clear by all traders before selling to peeps before hand

I always tell my customers what warranty they get mate if they dont get one then i always tell them then there is no bad feelings etc

what you must remember is i and other traders sell thousands of parts every year and have thousands of very happy customers and thats why we are still in business , but , its expected that one or two may get a bad deal, you get that with new parts etc ,, its how we deal with it that matters

Its just i can afford to buy new so i do simple really. Saves me all this crap about being sold iffy parts etc then to be told to send it me back to you then you will check it etc

I no i am lucky i can afford to buy new or refurbed and others cant so thats fair enough

i just think its a bit of a grey area with what people should or shouldnt get as to warranty on parts and this is why this is a good thead

why dont you tell us all what your warranty on parts is?? give us all an idea on how you work etc

Seem to be giving me a hard time about second hand good ( that you state you wont ever buy ) and there you are the very next day doing exactly what you say you wont do

Sorry mate , but i just couldnt resist it , and have quoted your reply to the advert below to refresh your memory

Ohhhhhhh Bitchy did i hit a nerve.Guess What i PM him first they are new

Seems like you have been really busy today.........NOT

Qoute away big boy you seem not to have anything else better to do

Oh yeah and have a... BTTT so everyone else can see what warranty you ......DONT GIVE

Great thread you started here for yourself glad its going the way you want

My last post on the subject i think we have all seen the light

Old 08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ohhhhhhh Bitchy did i hit a nerve.Guess What i PM him first they are sort of new

Seems like you have been really busy today.........NOT

Qoute away big boy you seem not to have anything else better to do

Oh yeah and have a... BTTT so everyone else can see what warranty you ......DONT GIVE

Great thread you started here for yourself glad its going the way you want

My last post on the subject i think we have all seen the light

Mate
Dont worry my business will not suffer because one or 2 people like yourself who will not buy from me because i dont give a lifetime warranty on second hand part that you claim you would never buy anyway as you can afford to buy new

Just face it mate YOU HAVE BEEN BUSTED ,

Anyway this thread was not about what people do and dont do its about what people would expect from a second hand part and i have had enough feedback from the kind people who told me there honest truth , so now i can offer people what the expect

Cheers Paul
Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
graham c
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a warranty buy new !
Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

ps,

Please remember , if i didnt care about my customers i would never have started this thread would i

I wanted to know people opinions so i could get some honest answers ( which i have ) and can learn from this and hopfully improve my service

Paul
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

As people have said before, if you want a warranty buy new.
If you are lucky enough (not in a nasty way) the trader says as an example, listen to the engine and you hear/see it running sweet and gives a type of warranty then that is a good word from them.
Ive bought many second hand parts (some on ebay but with well known traders) and have had no problems at all.
As long as it is described honestly then thats fine, but what we have to think of is not just from the customer side what we would do, but also from the traders side too.
Basically Ive always thought if I`m buying secondhand then I have no warranty, as someone else said goto a oily car breakers and ask for a warranty...they may laugh a bit.
The traders on here and RSOC always seem to be friendly and helpful and know what they are talking about.
Dont let us lose the traders on here, they keep us all going and help us out at times...thanks traders
Old 08-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Jason

Thanks for that reply

People also forget the other service"s like free advice etc etc ,

I try very hard to look after customers ,, and i have even gave up sales to people because they have called me and said they need xyz , when they didnt , and i have told them how to fix there cars without buying expensive parts ,, do you get that service from e/bay etc
Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

BTT so people can have a giggle at the above