General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

You just cant help some people

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...what most traders do to protect themselves is give a rac etc type warranty free for 3 months....and as said it dont matter what kinda car it is.

edited as i dont know about spares or repair situations.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

what if it's a rear strut brace then

glad to hear that th eoriginal problems that the post was about are now getting sorted, and rather than kill the thread it would be nice as a way of showing everyone how things should be handled arther than dropping everyone in at the deep end and waiting for the shit to start flying
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Evening Pete, I have a lot on my plate at teh moment but have just speed read this and would like to add that i will personally and happily vouch for Jamie pal, if he is proven to have pulled a fast one on you then i will pay you the £400 back out of my own pocket myself, hes a top lad, as are his close pals, all of whom have spent a lot of money with me over many occasions and years, they are a pleasure to deal with at all times.

I Hope it all turns out well in teh end for all concerned. I am sure it will cos old Pete's a loveable fella at heart and will enjoy actually helping.

Originally Posted by TF Rallyesport
a couple of hours to fit strut braces!!!try 10 minutes at the very maximum!!you really need to get some knoledge before "your tuner" (how pathetic does that sound) removes any more from your wallet.
Is it fuck a ten minute Job Tim, you need to drop all the fooking suspension off teh chassis to fit most of them, how disrespectfull of you to try and belittle a genuine member who doesnt and shouldnt know any better and even worse, to cast aspersions of dishonesty on a well known trader just for doing someone a favour!! My opinion of you just lowered somewhat mate.

Mind you, im not surprised after teh last post i read of yours which was slagging me off as well!!
https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241242
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

no need to write a essay from me here,,,, as all has been sorted i seen and my opinion counts for shite,,,, but this will add to my post count if not

although if a part is KNOWN not to have been used isnt time irelevent and just a way to wriggle out of a situation for MOST places where you buy stuff

EVERYONE does it though im afraid,,,,,, unfortunatly it seems most honest people never win in life as its a dog eats dog world we live in

but thats just a generalisation of life and ive had a few stellas
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
melzieann
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Evening Pete, I have a lot on my plate at the moment but have just speed read this and would like to add that i will personally and happily vouch for Jamie pal, if he is proven to have pulled a fast one on you then i will pay you the £400 back out of my own pocket myself, hes a top lad, as are his close pals, all of whom have spent a lot of money with me over many occasions and years, they are a pleasure to deal with at all times.
I Hope it all turns out well in the end for all concerned. I am sure it will cos old Pete's a loveable fella at heart and will enjoy actually helping.

cheers stu
Old 06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Is it fuck a ten minute Job Tim, you need to drop all the fooking suspension off the chassis to fit most of them, how disrespectfull of you to try and belittle a genuine member who doesnt and shouldnt know any better and even worse, to cast aspersions of dishonesty on a well known trader just for doing someone a favour!! My opinion of you just lowered somewhat mate.

Mind you, im not surprised after the last post i read of yours which was slagging me off as well!!
You CAN fit them in 10 mins.... IF you use self tapping screw to install the front one
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
dojj

about to say that

but i originally used self tapping bolts the M6 bolts held up a little better but then i bit the bullet and dropped the front struts
and then found out that i couldn't do the top nut back up again because the hole wasn't big enough
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
Originally Posted by martin-reyland
I don't think that grinding the crank without the customers prior authorisation is acceptable as the crank is not what it should have been in the first place.
without wishing to label you a "bandwagon jumper" the guy said to get it ground when he returned it to pete
I did not know the guy said that it was ok to grind it! I'm not a 'bandwagon jumper' and speak my mind please or offend! Three months or not I would have refunded the guy if he proved genuine.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Originally Posted by fordsportjay
surely buying a used part always carries a risk.the reason people buy used parts is usually because they cannot/do not want to pay for a new one.

i think pete is right due to the timescale involved and i would have said the same.

i sold a car to a guy last year with no warranty.he called me 3 weeks later and said he had an oil pressure problem with it.i told him i sold him the car without warranty-he said no problem he would fit an oil pump himself.....6 months later i get a letter saying he has had to pay for a full engine build at £3000 and thinks i should pay it!!!

yes ok!

its one of these ugly no win situations for either side that pete is in and his side of the argument stands up very well,and if he does give a refund then he will "live and learn" and im sure it will never happen gain

but the only way these incidents cannot happen is if you fork out big money and buy new.

personally i would have had the reground crank back and fitted different bearings for what they cost....you cannot really build a 550 bhp engine on a budget though-surely? and expect it to last....

im glad i dont rely mainly on used parts as its fuckin hard work

Mate you are obviously not aware that being a car trader you are by law bound by a 3 month warranty...he obviously didnt know that which is lucky for you!
Sorry Phil but thats total bollocks nowhere in the law does it say that as a trader you HAVE to give any warranty on any second hand item ,,Car or part
Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
dojj

I don't think that grinding the crank without the customers prior authorisation is acceptable as the crank is not what it should have been in the first place.
without wishing to label you a "bandwagon jumper" the guy said to get it ground when he returned it to pete
I did not know the guy said that it was ok to grind it! I'm not a 'bandwagon jumper' and speak my mind please or offend! Three months or not I would have refunded the guy if he proved genuine.
there was a post earlier on in the thread which mentioned that "in the morning all the bandwagon jumpers will have their say"
i didn't want to tar anyone who posted in the morning wihtout reading the whole thread with the bandwagon jumper brush, hence the ""
Old 07-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Is it fuck a ten minute Job Tim, you need to drop all the fooking suspension off the chassis to fit most of them, how disrespectfull of you to try and belittle a genuine member who doesnt and shouldnt know any better and even worse, to cast aspersions of dishonesty on a well known trader just for doing someone a favour!! My opinion of you just lowered somewhat mate.

Mind you, im not surprised after the last post i read of yours which was slagging me off as well!!
You CAN fit them in 10 mins.... IF you use self tapping screw to install the front one
You could fit an equally as effective strut brace in 0 mins as well though, by not even bothering to open teh bonnet at all.

Anyway, enough Jolleties, ive an office to build, so off to work we go, have fun people. Hope it looks a little more pleasant on here when i get home tonight... seems to be nothing but rows in GD lately.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Anonymous
Banned

North York Spares...not talking about second hand parts..was replying to the bloke that sold a car and the bloke had problems within 3 months.

Only applies to car sales if you are TRADE..as said i should know unless it dont apply to you Northen monkeys
Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Anonymous
Banned

...ps tim is wrong it took my 17 minutes to fit a self tapered front strut brace once
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

North York Spares...not talking about second hand parts..was replying to the bloke that sold a car and the bloke had problems within 3 months.

Only applies to car sales if you are TRADE..as said i should know unless it dont apply to you Northen monkeys
Phil

You need to do your homework

Cars are exactly the same and can be sold without warranty to a private man
Old 07-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES

Phil

You need to do your homework

Cars are exactly the same and can be sold without warranty to a private man

...you are so totally wrong if you are trade the customer can go back with any problems within 3 months and that trader has to fix the vehicle FOC if its not normal wear and tear...of course you can say no but they can take you to court and win...my uncle has been a trader all his life and knows the rules..hence as said why the proper traders give a free 3 month warranty from rac etc to cover themselves Not many know about it by the looks..i dont think you will get a letter explaining it ..it the LAW and a bloody good one...the public take note of it and we can stop all the dodgy traders
Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

phil we give a 3 month warranty at work on all the second hand shite we sell

thats the reason why we sell the fast demo cars after they have done 4k miles and are 6 months old,,,,,,, then we still got the ford warranty
Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

What the law says a retailer must do about faulty goods
If you think a product you have bought is faulty, you should tell the retailer as soon as you can. You have a ‘reasonable’ time to examine goods you buy and check that they are satisfactory. If they aren’t satisfactory, you can ‘reject’ them and get your money back. But again, your legal right to reject goods is only for a ‘reasonable’ time. What is a reasonable time depends on the type of product, but it may not be very long, and could be as short as a few weeks. See ‘What does the law mean by ‘reasonable’?’.
Instead of a refund, you could accept a replacement or a repair, or claim compensation (usually the cost of repairing or replacing the goods). But you don’t have to take these options if you don’t want to. If you do let the retailer repair something that is faulty, you may still have the right to get your money back if the repair doesn’t work.
However, if you’ve left it too long to reject the goods and get a refund, or a fault appears later , you still have some rights:
• If the fault appears in the first six months, you are entitled to a repair or a replacement (but not if the fault is just ‘fair wear and tear’ or is caused by accidental damage or misuse). If the retailer doesn't accept your claim, it’s up to them to prove the product wasn’t faulty in the first place, or that it couldn’t reasonably be expected to last that long.
• The retailer can choose to replace an item rather than repair it (or the other way round) if the alternative would be much more costly for them.
• If the fault appears after six months, you may still be entitled to a repair or replacement. But if the retailer disputes your claim, it will be up to you to prove that the product was faulty when you bought it.
The retailer must pay for any delivery costs involved in repair or replacement, which must be carried out within a ‘reasonable’ time. If it’s not possible or practical to repair or replace the goods, you will still have the right to some or all of your money back, depending on how much use you have had from the product since you bought it.
What does the law mean by ‘reasonable’?The word ‘reasonable’ often appears in consumer laws (for example, expecting something to be delivered in a ‘reasonable’ time, or getting a job done at a ‘reasonable’ price). ‘Reasonable’ means different things in different situations. In difficult cases (such as deciding how long something should last with normal use) you may need to get an opinion from a trade association or an independent expert who deals with the product or service in question if you want to bring a claim.
principle of ‘buyer beware’ applies, so you should check something carefully before you buy. This is because the parts of the Sale of Goods Act that say things must be ‘of satisfactory quality’ and ‘fit for their purpose’ don’t apply to private sales.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

thanks for that Stu it just takes one stupid comment to start problems as I have never had any reason to doubt TurboSystems and to be honest that comment wasn't about to alter that but its still nice to know!!

Mike did actually mention that he has seen some cars in with the strut braces screwed to the top and what a joke he thought it was Plus the fact every job TurboSystems have ever done I am there anyway nicking Tony's tea and coffee

anybody that knows me on this board knows that I am a complete muppet when it comes to anything mechanical, ffs I can't even get my side repeaters out !!! Having said that I doubt TFRallyeSport has that much of an idea when it comes to developing enterprise scale distirbuted architecture management information systems either

thanks to everyone anyway who has confirmed my original thoughts
Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Phil

I will agree to disagree as i cant be bothered to argue with you about this point

If i sell a car to mr x that is priced at 3k but he wants to pay 2.5k i can sell him it cheap with no warranty what so ever by simply putting on the invoice " sold as spares or repairs" If the customer wants to save £500 and is happy with this then it is legaly sold with no warranty

I personaly dont like to do this , but , a lot of traders will do it , ( so will i if it means a sale that both me and the buyer are happy with )

I am not saying its a great way to do business i am just showing that it is possible to sell a car without a warranty .

Also if you speek to trading standards they have a totaly differant look on cars sales of high performance cars over 10 years old

Phil , this is what i do for a living and i do my homework
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Paul....i am talking proper traders (without appearing to be rude)...of course if you put spares or repair you dont have to give a warranty as the buyer excepts the terms providing its all receipted.

So i dont get where i am wrong? You being a breaker no doubt sell all your cars like that to avoid the 3 month warranty that genuine normal traders have to give..(again without sounding rude)..remember my uncle has been a car trader all his life and a proper trader can no longer sell a lemon..of course there are loop holes in anything like you have stated
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Paul....i am talking proper traders (without appearing to be rude)...of course if you put spares or repair you dont have to give a warranty as the buyer excepts the terms providing its all receipted.

So i dont get where i am wrong? You being a breaker no doubt sell all your cars like that to avoid the 3 month warranty that genuine normal traders have to give..(again without sounding rude)..remember my uncle has been a car trader all his life and a proper trader can no longer sell a lemon..of course there are loop holes in anything like you have stated
Sorry to disapoint you , but funny enough i dont sell many cars like that

And i think you would be suprised how many " propper traders " do exactly what i have just said ,,its more common than i think you would believe
Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

sorry but its the moody traders that do that as a loop hole,,,, BUT if you show the add as a working/mot'd car thats sold with the intention of beng used on the road,,,, well i cant see how that "loophole" would cover you

its a little like selling a ringer with the refference " this car is not a ringer" on the bill and saying it wasnt when it left the yard

you cant sell a car off a forecourt as spares or repairs mate,,,, YOU would get away with it,,,,,, its dishonest way of trading might i add as all you are doing is showing you lack of faith in the cars you adverstise as "mint" examples if the bill said " spares or repairs" but then thats just me

that mean that ford can see all there cars as spares of repairs and not give a warranty,,,,, christ why didnt we think of this

isnt a spares of repairs a unroadworthy car though ?,,,,,, as why else would you require that in most conditions
Old 07-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You being a breaker no doubt sell all your cars like that to avoid the 3 month warranty that genuine normal traders have to give..(again without sounding rude)..remember my uncle has been a car trader all his life and a proper trader can no longer sell a lemon..of course there are loop holes in anything like you have stated
If you can show us written down where BY LAW a motor trader has to give a specified 3 month warranty [over and above any statutory rights], I'm pretty sure you could make a fortune in commission from one of hundreds of warranty companies that compete for the business.

But of course your uncle with his wealth of experience will be aware of that and that fact he certainly shouldn't be SELLING warranties unless he's FSA registered

Originally Posted by Ginge !
you cant sell a car off a forecourt as spares or repairs mate,,,, YOU would get away with it,,,,,, its dishonest way of trading might i add as all you are doing is showing you lack of faith in the cars you adverstise as "mint" examples if the bill said " spares or repairs" but then thats just me
Total and utter rubbish.

My dad had an invoice written up 20 years ago [that we still use for the cheap part exchanges] by a solicitor and checked on ONE occassion by Trading Standards that states simply "Sold as parts".

If a buyer is made fully aware of the repercussions and signs that invoice they have no remittance whatsoever.

How is that dishonest?

Originally Posted by Ginge !
that mean that ford can see all there cars as spares of repairs and not give a warranty,,,,, christ why didnt we think of this
I'm sure you know that statutory rights revolve around the principle that what you buy has to be "fit for the purpose".

So you answered your own question. If they sign something to say they're buying parts, they're NOT buying a car.

But if they're buying a brand new car and parting with a lot more money, it's a TOTALLY different matter.

They technically COULD write out invoices saying you're buying only parts and avoid warranties etc. but see how long would they stay profitable? How many people would turn to other manufacturers? It's happening now with Hyundai and the other people offering 5 years. Manufacturers are either falling into line or losing business.

Especially as most dealerships nowadays pay their rent and get their pocket money through what goes on in the workshops
Old 07-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

dont expect a 3 month warranty on used parts
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ginge

I bet you will not find 1 single car dealer who does not use this system to get rid of cheap p/x cars that they dont want on there forcourt or in there showroom

How can this be dodgy if the customer is buying a car at a very much lower price than its true value AND HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HE IS SIGNING

How mant people do you think say to me ,, " HOW MUCH FOR CASH MATE ,,NO RECIEPT " wink wink ,,,,,,, bloody loads mate ,,people are always trying to save either the VAT , or just get a discount and will take any option to get this

Are you saying thats dodgy
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

im not saying the part ex's you got in to get a customer,,,, though at my place there all sold through auction anyway but thats another mater

i was refering to selling a car,,,,,, not a old car thats either been part ex'd OR a car thats been sitting on the forecourt for months and so you sell for a loss to get shot of it,,,, im talking about cars you trade with !!!!

maybe its cause i work at a main dealer that we cars we buy for selling on and old cars we buy just to get the customer to buy another car

we have sold other brands of cars to people cheep to get rid of em,,, these have been under the market value and not at the market value

hope you see what i mean

as for selling to avoid the vat,,,, well,,,,, thats not something im gonna comment on as no fucker likes the tax man,,,,,,, but thats another thread me thinks
Old 07-01-2007, 06:37 PM
dojj

How mant people do you think say to me ,, " HOW MUCH FOR CASH MATE ,,NO RECIEPT " wink wink ,,,,,,, bloody loads mate ,,people are always trying to save either the VAT , or just get a discount and will take any option to get this

i owuld
Old 07-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i owuld

pmsl at the user name to match too
Old 07-01-2007, 06:44 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I brought a Ferrari 348 that was cheap found out it needed more work than 1st thought i did look into what claim i had aganest the dealr but as i paid well under value for it i dont have a leg to stand on.

So if you by a Escos for £5000 that needs work and it is worth £12k in good order then you dont have a case.

I am a motorcycle dealer and have to give 3 month warenty by law BUT if you get the customer to sigh the invoice NO Warrentry given then there is nothing you can do
Old 07-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by PJ ENGINEERING (PROX)
I brought a Ferrari 348 that was cheap found out it needed more work than 1st thought i did look into what claim i had aganest the dealr but as i paid well under value for it i dont have a leg to stand on.

So if you by a Escos for £5000 that needs work and it is worth £12k in good order then you dont have a case.

I am a motorcycle dealer and have to give 3 month warenty by law BUT if you get the customer to sigh the invoice NO Warrentry given then there is nothing you can do
Exactly what i was saying

You must be a dodgy trader like me then mate . if you know about this
Old 07-01-2007, 07:05 PM
PAUL V
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ ENGINEERING (PROX)

Exactly what i was saying

You must be a dodgy trader like me then mate . if you know about this

Not dodgy but deal in 50cc - 125cc bikes Like a Apilila RS125 that we sell to 17 year olds who cane them from cold and use shit 2 stroke oil then ring up a week later saying it has stopped working and my mate has had to give me a lift to work and he wants £50 for taking me and then we get there mom and dads come in and have a go at us. O the fun of dealing with customers
Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i hope im not being branded as a bit of a dodgy dealer.
dont forget i break rs cars as well as sell them.i just havent got a posh showroom like days og grace and j28!

i sell mainly rs cars at below average prices-for instance

k plate escos 51000 miles £10k most places £12-13k
many very nice clean low owner rs turbos for under £2500.most places 3k -
lots of decent sapphire cosworths for under £4kmost others 5k plus

i have a small mark up and am very honest when i show people round the cars and to be honest very rarely sell them at screen price.many people are surprised at my honesty but i would rather they know about something now than 5 mins down the road.

my invoice states that the cars of this age are sold as spares or repairs due to the age and the manner in which they may have been used.also any money taken from the screen price is to offset any repairs that may be imminent.

i have sold a fair few cars to a lot of happy satisfied customers and i would say at least 90%would probably use me again.

i could add £1000 on to my prices,sell them with 3 month warranty,full mot,fully serviced,new tyres,etc etc but i would imagine i would not sell as many cars.
as already said most of us have had dealings with trading standards for one reason or another and they have a much different view on a 15/20 year old performance ford than they do a 3 year old fiesta!cases like that are seen on their merits.

or maybe i should just shut up shop and work at tescos
Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You seem a very reasonable trader Jay IMO, and you do get some corking cars in as well
Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I think phill is correct in what he says about the 3 month warranty, but ONLY if the car is sold at the screen price on the forecourt and no bargaining, haggling or sold as spares stuff is entered into.

I would have no hesitation at using any of the traders on this thread.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by MattRS1600i
I think phill is correct in what he says about the 3 month warranty, but ONLY if the car is sold at the screen price on the forecourt and no bargaining, haggling or sold as spares stuff is entered into.

I would have no hesitation at using any of the traders on this thread.
..just dont sign the spares or repair receipt
Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

or go to j28 and pay their prices instead!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fordsportjay
or go to j28 and pay their prices instead!
Fuck knows which poor mugs buy their cars, my escort cossie cost 8K!!!, this is a few days after I bought it, just washed it. https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...986&highlight= and is in far far better condition than the bits of shit they are selling, £15900 for a T25 in ash with 70,000 miles on , had more wings than a triplane and more dodgy panel gaps than a ram-raided transit