General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car TAX question...............

Search this Thread

Old 31-12-2006, 07:58 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car TAX question...............

If your TAX disc expires today (at midnight), BUT you've paid for/purchased 12 months on-line (DVLA) today, can you get stopped/reported tomorrow onwards for not DISPLAYING a valid TAX disc?
Old 31-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

techically YEP!
Old 31-12-2006, 08:13 AM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would think you would get away with it

Dave
Old 31-12-2006, 08:13 AM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would think you would get away with it

Dave
Old 31-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the old bill can tell if you car is taxed,mot, and insured
so i would say you would get away with it.

steve.
Old 31-12-2006, 08:18 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

I was thinking that I would put the receipt/print out (showing the payment of 12 months tax) in the glovebox.......and then show it if stopped.

But will the policeman/woman just say you should have applied for the tax a week ago so that your valid tax disc arrived in time?
Old 31-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Basky
Advanced PassionFord User

thought it was an offence not to display a legal tax disc

not too sure
Old 31-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Basky
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Doug Stirling
I was thinking that I would put the receipt/print out (showing the payment of 12 months tax) in the glovebox.......and then show it if stopped.

But will the policeman/woman just say you should have applied for the tax a week ago so that your valid tax disc arrived in time?
could allways siad your other motor broke etc,so you had too tax it now
Old 31-12-2006, 08:29 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Thanks for the replys so far................

Think I will drive around today and find a traffic police car and ask the question - get a definitive answer...........I know where they hide out most days (speed trap on the A303 ), fairly sure they wont mind me asking.

Will post up the answer later.
Old 31-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Dave_Hay
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

it IS illegal.

but you tax is backdated to the start of the month anyway.......

police can only report you to dvla - then its in their hands whether you get fined or whatever.

and considering youve already paid for it

wouldnt worry about it! just dont be a cock if police pull you over. explain situation show em reciept/printout
Old 31-12-2006, 10:09 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Failure to display is an offence, but someone would have to see that it is NOT displayed, (traffic warden or beat Plod) so as long as you don't park and leave it on the highway, no-one will see.

Old 31-12-2006, 10:20 AM
wide ka
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

this happend to me i just risked it and put the conformation email from the dvla next to the tax disk on the windscreen
Old 31-12-2006, 11:18 AM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by focusv8
Failure to display is an offence, but someone would have to see that it is NOT displayed, (traffic warden or beat Plod) so as long as you don't park and leave it on the highway, no-one will see.

Been there done it
got a produser and never got done didnt even show the paperwork in the police station why because the law NEEDS TO BE CHANGED BECAUSE THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AS THE LAW AND METHOUD
HAS !!!

ALSO THE DATABASE DOES NOT ALSO SHOW TAX FOR 3DAYS

REMEMBER TRADING STANDARDS HAVE A LITTLE BLUE BOOK STATES YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR A SERVICE NOT SURPILED IE ROAD TAX FOR USE ON THE ROAD SO IF YOU PAID WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO DISPLAY
AND NOT YOUR FAULT THE METHOUD HAS CHANGED !!!!
Old 31-12-2006, 11:28 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

yes you can get done for as you say failing to display the valid disc which is a fixed penalty ticket much like a parking ticket if issued by a traffic warden.if you did get one you write to the chief inspector of your area police explaining and he would likely cancel any ticket issued. thats what happened with me
Old 31-12-2006, 11:34 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by RS500/364
ROAD TAX FOR USE ON THE ROAD SO IF YOU PAID WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO DISPLAY
AND NOT YOUR FAULT THE METHOUD HAS CHANGED !!!!
because failing to display is a seperate offence to not actually having tax.bottom line is your car is your responsability so it is your fault,you get 15 days before it runs out to purchase it although ive found them reasonable when explaining (unless you have an attitude with them) .you can use the excuse of the christmas post holding it up etc
Old 31-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

You can be entered in the sphincter for anything these days that results in the judicial system emptying your wallet of more hard earned cash. After all, somethings got to pay for the decorations and booze at the Chief Coontstables New Years Party.

Technically it's an offence. If the copper didn't have his weetabix this morning, he could still do you for it.
Old 31-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Dave_Hay
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

police cant do you for it.......the dvla can..............

£80 fine usually reduced to £40 but if you have tax paid for they let you off

the people who drive without car insurance and tax etc are those who can get a £1000fine (thats how police do you)

note that no tax=car not roadworthy in eyes of law......insurance can actually be void!
Old 31-12-2006, 12:57 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It will be logged on the PNC so you would not get stopped anyway,plod are not interested in doing people for failing to display as it costs 100 times more to administer than the fine is..........

The no tax issue is dealt with exclusively by DVLA now the plod are only enforcing vehicle seizure for uninsured and untaxed vehicles,you should be fine providing you have a valid receipt...
Old 31-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you also get 7 days grace with the tax INCASE theres a issue,,,,, they dont do ANYONE the next day UNLESS you aint paied for that month

even if dvla was to do you its the courts who actually do you if you refuse to pay the fine,,,, if there WAS tax and thers a reason for not displaying it,,,,, they they cant do shite

i LOST my tax disc the day i got it last year and i was told i would have to stump up 7 quid for a replacement,,,, i NEVER did and EVERY week a new parking attendant would call on his radio about a untaxed vehicle and everytime get told it is taxed leave it alone

it is a fact they give you 7 days to renew,,, cause if you renew you have also paied for it anyway,,,, so thats there case done

so dont listen to all these people who have NEVER tried it giving you advice,,,,,, up until 2 years ago i ALWAYS taxed my car 1 month late as you used to get a months grace,,, now its 7 days before they can threaten to remove and 14 before they actually do

technically do you is bollox as they CANT even if they like to think they cn ,,,,,,, they cant as you have paied and its there fault for allowing it online

i love the internet with the people who have never had a parking ticket telling others what happens when they aint got a fucking clue

Old 31-12-2006, 01:23 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

As far ar Tax goes and for that matter anything involving DVLA they have a long way to go.

In reality you can drive your car around for the entire month with no tax disc. Within the first month DVLA don't do anything anyway, and as long as you pay for the full month (even if you buy the tax on the last day of that month) they won't prosecute (and thats only if you should be unlucky enough to get pulled with no tax)

They are piss poor at what they do
Old 31-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Disabled Account
Banned

OK..................lots of replys that are motr-or-less spot-on

Spent an hour driving around looking for a traffic car (they use mostly Mercrdes estates around here)............NONE were found - even in the usual hide-outs

Went into Yeovil police station and spoke to a WPC behind the counter.

Showed her the printed receipt showing 1 years tax bought & paid for by credit card this morning. I asked her the question re me driving around tomorrow/day after with the old (expired midnight today) disc on the screen.

Without hesitation she said I would be reported for failing to display a valid tax disc - simple as that.

I pushed her on weather or not I would be fined and she said she did not know, but the fact is that it was her duty to report me for breaking a specific law, "not displaying a valid tax disc".

TBH, I was wondering on the drive back, would a traffic officer do any different (after showing him/her the receipt as mitigation), doubt it somehow.
Old 31-12-2006, 01:28 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Indeed it is their duty to report, some officers are thick as shit and even with the receipt will still be a cunt and report.

but, above all, even if they do, they will report you for not displaying, DVLA will look and say "hes already paid" and it will be filed under "B"..........
Old 31-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Spent an hour driving around looking for a traffic car (they use mostly Mercrdes estates around here)............NONE were found - even in the usual hide-outs

Showed her the printed receipt showing 1 years tax bought & paid for by credit card this morning. I asked her the question re me driving around tomorrow/day after with the old (expired midnight today) disc on the screen.

Without hesitation she said I would be reported for failing to display a valid tax disc - simple as that.

I pushed her on weather or not I would be fined and she said she did not know, but the fact is that it was her duty to report me for breaking a specific law, "not displaying a valid tax disc".

TBH, I was wondering on the drive back, would a traffic officer do any different (after showing him/her the receipt as mitigation), doubt it somehow.

I'm in same situation Doug, i paid for my tax online on Friday morning, and have no received disc yet, after your post think Cossie will be in garage until i get it thru in the post LOL
Old 31-12-2006, 01:33 PM
woodz77
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i taxed my turbo online but it took 3 weeks to get the disc through. the main hold up was cos i done the tax the day after i got the turbo, when the computer would have checked the name , it wouldnt have matched the owner cos the DVLA wouldnt have had the log book through the post in time . this is what i got told when i rung up at the end of the second week . they then said the computer automatically checks after 14 days again anywhere cos this is a common problem for people that but cars without tax .

luckly know one stopped me etc. i have got a ticket before cos i didnt have a tax disc but its cos my insurance note hadnt came through (4 years ago) but when i rung dvla and explained they said as long as when i taxed the car it would cover the allegded date it would be fine cos it would cancel itself out ?
Old 31-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doug i got told by a policeman when i was done for posesion of a fire arm i will get a fine of upto 1000 quid and 6 months inside

i got a 25 quid court costs and no fine until i blurted out " is that all" and got 50 quid for contempt

the police are there to scare monger you mate,,,,, the police dont even convict you of the crime,, they just report it !!!

bit like not producing your licence,,, when you get a letter for failing to produce and you send the docs off then they ALWAYS drop the case as you are LEGAL and forgot to produce,,,,,, but you did in the end and all is cool

the old bill before they pull you over KNOW you got tax

also think about this,,,,, when you transfer you plate over youhave to send the tax disc back,,,,,, what would you do then,,,, just not drive for 6 weeks

the old bill have all details and so WILL NOT do you,,,, end of,,,,, reporting you is fair,,, but its wont come to anything at all
Old 31-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as above you could in theory get nicked for failure to display, but realistically are they going to??

probably only if you were either known to them and they wanted to make your life difficult or you acted the cnt and made thei life difficult, I'll bet most if not all wouldnt report it..
Old 31-12-2006, 05:32 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

doug you pussy,, i would of just drove
Old 31-12-2006, 05:35 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by Ginge !
i got a 25 quid court costs and no fine until i blurted out " is that all" and got 50 quid for contempt

Old 31-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
Originally Posted by Ginge !

Old 31-12-2006, 09:10 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

You sure it was a Policewoman and not front office staff or a PCSO. If one of my Officers reported you for failing to display in the circumstances you have described then I'd certainly be asking them what they think they were doing and cancel all the paperwork.

Here's the definitive answer.
It is fixed penalty offence for failing to display a valid excise licence. It was a £30 ticket but I believe it is now £60 or £80. My up to date aide memoire is at work.

If a vehicle is seen on a public road with an expired / no excise licence then a CLE2/6 would be filled out and submitted to the DVLA. It's the DVLA who use these forms to decide whether to prosecute.

If I stopped you and noticed you had no excise licence and you produced your receipt to me that you'd paid for it then I'd take no further action and I would bet that most Officers would be the same.
Old 31-12-2006, 09:15 PM
steventoon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ginge

...the old bill before they pull you over KNOW you got tax

Hows that then ? Am I now psychic ?
Old 31-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by steventoon
Ginge

...the old bill before they pull you over KNOW you got tax

Hows that then ? Am I now psychic ?
think he means ONCE/IF it's been put on the system it should show up whether car has tax/insurance prior being pulled up!

Ginge think I'd rather NOT try what you say!

I've known a person to be warned for having his tax disc (valid one) on the wrong side of the windscreen!so regarding the original question as I said it's UP to the individual as technically yes you can reported!