General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The level of courtesy in this country is pathetic...

Search this Thread

Old 25-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default The level of courtesy in this country is pathetic...

I just don't understand todays people in this country. They are THE most miserable and ungratefull bunch of cunts I have met

I was on call today. I work for Autoglass, and fit glass to peoples cars when they need it. Oh and btw - I don't get paid overtime, double time, or triple time. Standard hourly rate for any day I work in the year...

This morning I had three jobs by half 9. Got in about 10, first job (Ka rear screen) arrives 5 mins after me. Guy is nice as pie, friendly bloke and all that. Get his screen fitted, spend another half hour or so trying to clean the glass out of his car etc amd get him on his way as quick as poss.

Then he says to me "I;ve come out without my wallet, I want to tip you but I can't" - fair enough, what can you do? the offer was there, he was gratefull for me taking the time to secure his vehicle and cleaning it up for him.

Go to my next one, have to drive all the way into North London to put a door glass into an Astra. Not one word of thanks for doing it, not even the offer of a tea/coffee/drink, no nothing.

Third one - doctor from local hospital. No glass available for him, but I go there anyway, clean the car out, fit a temp window (takes longer than putting the real one in) and same again - no shown gratitude of my coming out to help him and secure his vehicle, no offer of a tea/coffee/drink...

Get a call at half 2 - another job. Drive to work, pick up glass and paper work, spend another half hour driving to the persons address, get there and get told that she wants to pay the £200 by cheque but has no garantee card Tell her I can't do that, so she wants to pay by card (different card) tell her I can't do that either as I am on my own and no one in office to run the card. Tell her she has to pay cash. She doesn't have any cash. So I tell her to go to a cashpoint. So I sit around for ANOTHER half an hour waiting for her. COmes back, pays me the £200, I then spend half an hour fitting the glass. Give her a call tell her it's all done. Not a single word of thanks, no offer of a tea/coffee/drink, no nothing. You can tell by the look on her face she isn't gratefull at all. So I rub it in : she says "I didn't think you would be working xmas day" to which I replied, "well you rang us and I came here - guess I must be!" and go on to tell her I have left my dinner halfway through, come all the way out, been messed around (she couldn't even be bothered to come down and open the gates for me, had to punch in the code myself, then she couldn't be arsed to come meet me at her car, tried to drop the keys out the window!) and generally put myself out for her. Again, not a single mention of any thanks at all... Spent the whole time kissing her teeth and tutting - like SHE was inconvinienced!!!!!

Not one person offered me a cup of tea. Not one offer of a fucking mince pie!

I bet their argument is that cos they are religious minorities they don't celebrate xmas - fine. But I notice they celebrate the exchangine opf presents!!!! How hard is it to simply say THANK YOU????

CUNTS, all of em..... People in this country need to learn some fucking manners

** EDIT ** Seems I worded this badly - this thread is NOT about expecting tips - I NEVER expect tips. The point of it is the three cunts that call me out on xmas day, just for me to go to THEM, to sort THEIR problem out, and not even getting a thanks, a cup of tea/drink - or even an acknowledgement of gratitude!
Old 25-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steady pal Alot of people have had to work today
Old 25-12-2006, 04:14 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 177 Likes on 167 Posts

All in all a good day then
Old 25-12-2006, 04:16 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

i'm sorry, but the price we pay for our goods in this country does not warrant tips. I would of made you a brew though.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bollocks, there no law against tipping, its not common knowlege you should tip a windscreen monkey, personally i think you an ungreatful fucker yourself, your doing your job, why should they automaticly think they should pay you more, esp at a time of year when they skint, just cause some cunt broke their window?
Old 25-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Drunken Master
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Sorry to agree, but you shouldn't have expected to get tipped. Your still getting paid to do your job. I mean by the sounds of it you were quite rude to some of the customers and then expected them to tip you?

Although if it was me I would have probably chucked you a fiver, if you hadn't been rude. Being christmas day and all.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:31 PM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

id have offered you a brew but a tip?....you get paid dont yer?
Old 25-12-2006, 04:32 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by topaz
i'm sorry, but the price we pay for our goods in this country does not warrant tips. I would of made you a brew though.
I am sorry but you are completly wrong there, TIP means to ensure promtness alright at times it gets out of hand and silly but Thrush has gone out and done his job, if you can afford to have a windscreen fitted on christmas day then you can afford to say thank you weather that be by way of a drink or a little cash then so be it, the same in restaurants how many people that work in decent restaurants can actually afford to frequent them as much as some of us very few if the service is good then you tip in my mind,

I make alot of my living from tips and i know if we do not go above and beyond then we will not get anything,

Be fair and decent it's christmas day for fuck sake the guys left his family and meal to fix a poxy screen that could be done tom

Mike
Old 25-12-2006, 04:36 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

christmas day or not, i still wouldnt of tipped for a windscreen fitment.

then again, i would of waited till after boxing day to book an apointment.

i would imagine a windscreen fitter would be on double time on xmas day anyway.

i tip in a resturant if the food/service has been good, but check first to see if its already been added/included as they are sly fuckers.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:37 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I dont tip mechanics or auto repair people... give em cuppas thou!

Besides I never get a tip for someone saying "thank you without you my business would have never suceeded" and I dont expect it.

Didn't you get a higher rate of pay anyway for working xmas?
Old 25-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Looks like I have been mis-interrpreted again

I wasn't bitching about the fact I didn't get any tips. It's a little dissapointing - throughout the year I get people tip me for jobs - got a girl yesterday tip me £5 for squeezing her in to have her window fitted.

I know if I was the customer and someone came out to me on xmas day, I would tip them...

But the point of the thread was how 3 out of 4 of my customers - including 1 that put me out completely, and messed me around - didn't even acknowledge a thankyou for me sorting them out! And lets face it, I didn't HAVE to come out to do them - it's entirely at my disgresion! All my customers were actually supposed to come in to my branch (meet me there) to have it done, but I went the extra mile and came to them so we didn't have both me AND the customer away from our familes on xmas day....

But it's the complete lack of thanks and aknowledgement of being gratefull thats fucked me off today....
Old 25-12-2006, 04:38 PM
mrviper
Advanced PassionFord User

bahh humbug!!!

he probably geting paid quad wages today anyway!! thats what the customer is probably thinking

but for them not to offer cup of tea and say thanks and a merry xmas is a bit shit!
Old 25-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

christmas day or not, i still wouldnt of tipped for a windscreen fitment.

then again, i would of waited till after boxing day to book an apointment.

i would imagine a windscreen fitter would be on double time on xmas day anyway.
Nope, we are not. We are on double bonus per job, but of course the ammount of jobs are garanteed. Standard rate for me all day + call out bonus. So a tip would have come in nice, as a little gesture, or token of appreciation for having sweated and bled for them to provide a service when I could be sitting at home eating turky and drinking beer!
Old 25-12-2006, 04:39 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

you should of said you were shut, i wouldnt dream of having a windscreen fitted xmas day unless i was far away from home and needed it to get home, even then i would try the aa first for a tow.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by mrviper
bahh humbug!!!

he probably geting paid quad wages today anyway!! thats what the customer is probably thinking

but for them not to offer cup of tea and say thanks and a merry xmas is a bit shit!
And again - no I am not. And my customers knew that as each one asked me basically the same question "you on double rate today then?" / "must be a good rate to come in on xmas day yeah?" - to which I replied "no it's not, it's standard rate : no such thing as bank holiday in Autoglass - I came in as you needed a glass fitting"
Old 25-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

you not doing it for charity, or for punishment, you CHOOSE to do it to get paid, so i dont see how you can cry about it.

im SURE they not loving fucking about having THEIR xmas day ruined by a broken window, and unlike you, they not choosing for it to happen...
Thrush
Irritating c........

you should of said you were shut, i wouldnt dream of having a windscreen fitted xmas day unless i was far away from home and needed it to get home, even then i would try the aa first for a tow.
And I wouldn't dream of fitting a windscreen on xmas day either. I only do emergency jobs - basically where there is a "hole" in the car (door glass, rear screen etc, the ones that smash) although if someone needed a screen cos theirs had been vandalised, to the extent you can't see out of it (like the little fuckers that run up and down the cars bonnet and screens, smashing the shit out of em) I would have done that so they could drive home (if they needed to)
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i've been on call all day
and i'll be on call tomorrow too
and for all the hours i'm not at work when i'm able to work

do you know what the flip side of this is? i don't get paid unles i go to work to work, then it's fat money time, but i've only beenout 3 times in 6 years
a long time to go without being able to have a brew i the pub without mkaing sure there is someone else wiling and able to go to the office with the keys and open up and reset the alarm and tell me whats wrong etc etc

yes, the majority of people i delivier to during the weeks are misserable cunts, but i always go there with a smile on my face

the guy who came out to fit a screen and the side glass to one of our vito's came fully prepared with his thermos, otherwise i would have bought him a cuppa from the wagon down the street, so it's not as if i don't offer unfortunatly, we have to get our screens from RAC windscreens or else i'd get your number and call you out instead

this can be arranged if you want it to be, i'll have a word with the fleet manager otherwise we have to get things done from bracknell or from burton upon trent
long way to go in the cold
Old 25-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Stavros
you not doing it for charity, or for punishment, you CHOOSE to do it to get paid, so i dont see how you can cry about it.

im SURE they not loving fucking about having THEIR xmas day ruined by a broken window, and unlike you, they not choosing for it to happen...
Thats right Steve, I did choose to do it. And I get paid for it. Not greatly, but I do get paid.

But that doesn't stop people from simply saying THANK YOU when I fit them a new door window, hoover all the broken glass out of their car and off their seat so they can go on their way to enjoy THEIR xmas day, now does it?

As title - THE LEVEL OF COUTESY IN THIS COUNTRY IS PATHETIC. Doesn't take a lot to say thank you does it - I say it about 50 times a day.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:44 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glass fitter waiter what ever they are all providing a service to you, the guys gone out on christmas day to there house and fitted something that could have been done tom possibly, i am sure he was polite but honest i would be fucked of, a total lack of consideration for others is what is driving this country to the dogs

A little thanks goes a long way

Common courtesy costs fuck all but to some it seems to cost alot

Mike
Old 25-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Captain Mike
Glass fitter waiter what ever they are all providing a service to you, the guys gone out on christmas day to there house and fitted something that could have been done tom possibly, i am sure he was polite but honest i would be fucked of, a total lack of consideration for others is what is driving this country to the dogs

Mike
Exactly Mike - thank you.

I am ALWAYS polite when in my job. Even when people are rude and arrogant to me. Maybe I am old school. but to me, they are the customer, and they should be addressed with politeness and courtesy. All 4 of my customers I personally rang myself to update them on a more specific time of my arrival (even tho our call centre already told them - I like to call them myself to reassure them I am deffo coming and that I won't be long) and greeted every one with a smile.

So as I said, to be given not even a single "thanks" for that, is a piss take.

Bunch of cunts
dojj

i think the point is not the money or the tipping culture, it's the fact that there are too many people who don't acknolwedge you with a "thank you" or a "please"

there is no gratidue for a job done, either in a vocal or a fiscal sence for most people nowadays, it would be nice for soeone to post up the first thank you you get when you go back to work and in what circumstances you got it
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

if it was me with the broken window, i think i could of waited rather than get some one out on chrimbo day.
Old 25-12-2006, 04:51 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
i think the point is not the money or the tipping culture, it's the fact that there are too many people who don't acknolwedge you with a "thank you" or a "please"

there is no gratidue for a job done, either in a vocal or a fiscal sence for most people nowadays, it would be nice for soeone to post up the first thank you you get when you go back to work and in what circumstances you got it
That is spot on and i think we might be waiting a while for that to come,

Mike
Old 25-12-2006, 06:01 PM
dojj

i normally deliver to around 30 people a day, if i get 2 thank yous out of all the of them it's a surprise

but they are mainly old sick buggers so i don't expect it from them

in thrush's case, i'd be pissed off too if i didn't get a thankyou for coming out and rescuing them
Old 25-12-2006, 06:09 PM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

I agree with Steve about the tipping point, but I really would of expected a thanks, a brew and a mince pie!
Old 25-12-2006, 06:17 PM
COSSIE 1

id have mad u a brew and fed u mince pies till they came out ur ears but i WOULDNT HAVE tipped u, i pay my excess and pay enough for car insurance as it is....sorry
Old 25-12-2006, 06:20 PM
dave_si
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Captain Mike

Common courtesy costs fuck all but to some it seems to cost alot

Mike
Totally agree with you Mike
Old 25-12-2006, 06:33 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldn't dare have anyone come to do something for me and not offer them a brew and a big thanks after specially on xmas and everyone thinking he was just on about tipping
Old 25-12-2006, 07:04 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no chance would I have tipped you, but people not being greatful sucks, I deal with it both side, run a pub, shop and bandb so deal with the (often rude) public all the time, and also deal with lots of trades people, who are often there sorting out something in a emergancy (heating, plumbing etc), I am always grateful, and always show it, thats just common courtesy
Old 25-12-2006, 07:19 PM
jon@work

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I must be different to most people on here - I realise that the majority of any money paid to a fitter (or whatever) doesn't go into his own pocket, but onto the company's books. I'd certainly given him a very good tip to go into his own pocket for being there in my time of need if he provided a good service which got me out of the shit.
Old 25-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Still dont know how this makes people in this country pathetic. Maybe your just as bad as the people?

Agree its nice to tip, but you should also not expect it.

Swings and roundabout in a way. It is nice to tip and would if i get good serivce that goes over and beyond.

But i hate it like in the US where EVERYONE expects you to tip! Erm no its only if i get service that good or goes over what i would expect imo.

Anyway Merry Xmas
Old 25-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Rhys - I wasn't expecting a tip per-se, I never go out expecting the customer to give me more money - my post was about courtesy...

jon - I'm glad you understand. What no one (as in the customers) realise is that the money they give us - the excess, be it 50, 60 of 75 quid - isn't for us (the company) We collect that money on behalf of the insurance company and we actually send it to them - WE (company or fitter) don't keep it!!!!
Old 25-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

No worries Thrush...

no what your saying but there are some good people out there too
Old 25-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

I went to pick up someones deceased loved one today..

Expecting tips..NO!

Don't you earn enough today?
Old 25-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Phil DJ

I'm on Thrush's side on this one.

I think it's a bit out of order some people not even thanking him. Fair enough they don't have to tip him but I know i would've been extremely grateful for him to coming out on Christmas Day and I think a "Thank You" and "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" would've been enough but he didn't even get that.

I know if it was me I'd offer a brew and at least a bacon butty or something as a thank you
Old 25-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by Flip2k3
I went to pick up someones deceased loved one today..

Expecting tips..NO!

Don't you earn enough today?
You're not fucking listening - I wasn't EXPECTING a tip!!! A tip is a bonus, not expected!

The thread was bout people calling you out xmas day and not thinking about it, ackowledging you coming out specially to help them, and not even being gratefull or thankfull for it!!!
Old 25-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have offered you a brew and a mince pie mate - but i honestly wouldn't think to tip you - rude as that sounds

Courtesy would make me offer you a drink and something to eat tho
Old 25-12-2006, 08:51 PM
radiant red

be proud of what you do and nothing else matters......

sorry this may not be relivant but im me + 1 bottle jd

merry xams
Old 25-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i worked one xmas day on call out .. had 3 jobs, all caused be operator error..
and i got .. your bloody machine is always breaking down..blah blah blah total arrogance and no i didn't do it for the money i did it as im in a service industry and the customer pays the bills and my wages.
but what i dont need is to be driving for 2 hours to be met by some snotty arrogant numpty who could have sorted his own problem out if he had used his common sence.
to be verbally abused is not in my contract on any day let alone a day where i could be visiting friends or relatives .. i never expect any tips or anything in my job but a thank you always goes a long way to make you feel appreciated etc .
i agree with your opinion mate not ot have been offered even a cuppa is a bit wrong.. had you come to me i would have made ya a brew and even a beer for later as i would be gratefull for someone to come out on xmas day to help me solve a problem to let me continue with my day.
hence why i will never work near to the 24th, 25th or 26th of december.

Quick Reply: The level of courtesy in this country is pathetic...