General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Experience of Land Rover Freelander TD4

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2006 | 02:25 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Default Experience of Land Rover Freelander TD4

We're after a new 4x4/tow vehicle, and the price of these seems mega cheap.

We've currently got a Mitsubishi Pajero, but the fuel economy is shocking for a turbo diesel, so it has to go.

Been looking at the 2000-2002 range 5dr Station Wagons, but diesel only.

I know the 1.8 petrols had that regular hg issue, but needs to be a diesel.

Anyone any experience of these?
Old 19-12-2006 | 02:32 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I'm going to get shot down for this - but here goes!

The TD4 engine is a BMW lump and very good (most of the time) unlike the 1.8 petrol!

This is according to my mate who is a Landy salesman... so again flame suit on!

I've thought the same though Rich, that they would make a nice tow car!

Alex
Old 19-12-2006 | 02:34 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

I thought the TD series was supposed to be pretty good, and chipped, they'll make some healthy low down torque.
Old 19-12-2006 | 03:02 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

are they any good at all off road?

Alex
Old 19-12-2006 | 03:09 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by AlexF
I'm going to get shot down for this - but here goes!

The TD4 engine is a BMW lump and very good (most of the time) unlike the 1.8 petrol!

This is according to my mate who is a Landy salesman... so again flame suit on!

I've thought the same though Rich, that they would make a nice tow car!

Alex
correct, its a bmw common rail engine, can be chipped with good results,
does nearly 40mpg, theres a company that advertises in topgear mag that are land rover tuners, see them for chiping it

tried to get my dad to buy a 5door esx version a few years ago, nearly managed to convince him, but he thought i would brag about it so in the end he never got it, shame!
Old 19-12-2006 | 03:25 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

My missus has had one since August and she thinks it is great. She tows the horsebox with it no problems. The engine is very good and returns 40mpg no probs.

Graham
Old 19-12-2006 | 05:19 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

please don't they're rubbish, td4 is the only one to go for but it is such a rubbish vehicle over-all i really wouldn't bother. The amount of viscous couplings, transfer boxes and diffs i've replaced is probably into triple figues now.

Stick with the shogun, much better vehicle.

Trending Topics

Old 19-12-2006 | 05:37 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Landrover owners don't talk about the freelander...
Old 19-12-2006 | 06:23 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my old man had 2 before he moved to america, tried to find one out there to buy but couldnt. he used his for business and never had any bother. always had the all singing all dancing ones and were really nice to be in, and surpisingly good offroad! what they miss out on ground clearance, low ratio box and big tyres they more than make up for with the electronics. we took one of his on a landrover magazine offroad weekend and were driving past modified discos and defeneders that were stuck.

id buy one if i was after something like that!
Old 19-12-2006 | 06:57 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I sell em too

As a main dealer we dont go as far back as 02 reg, so I cant source you one I'm afraid.... IMO I find the TD4 to be ok ... bit slow but not bad... IMO 40mpg is a little optimistic though...

And off road they are more than capable, I have driven them and seen them .... very well engineered for the job required IMO....
Old 19-12-2006 | 07:03 PM
Bradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

TD4 has a HUUUUUUUGE Flast spot when pulling away from junctions etc.

They have NO Low down power at all.

My 55 Reg is just back from the Factory after the above problem. Our other 40 Freelander Company cars are the same.
Old 19-12-2006 | 07:07 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Bradz - it would be chipped which allegedly removes that flat spot.

Damo - can't even source one for cash and a late xmas pressie?

Cheers all - keep the info coming as I'm just learning about these cars...
Old 19-12-2006 | 07:18 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im not back at work till the new year now....

Willl keep an eye out for anything which may come in p/x
Old 19-12-2006 | 07:35 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Had a recon engine in the petrol version I posted about a short while ago as well as clutch, e/window, c/locking switches and a quite a few other little bits that came to just under £3k.

The Td we have gave up last night (3rd time in 3 weeks!) on the M25 with a US gearbox, although the warning lights been on since been serviced It takes a while to pull away and even worse with either the trailer on the back or mobile generator. Once on the go its ok and sits at about 70-80 with pretty good fuel figures. I quite like it as it goes ands it way better than other Jap pile of shit thats just about to die.

The Landcruisers the best by far but a bit juicy to run and funnily enough the Colorado was a great all rounder until some tit wrote it off. Fuel, pull away and towing was great but sadly it wont be getting replaced with another one .....
Old 20-12-2006 | 01:54 PM
Paddy
Legend

I'm a Land Rover fan [Discos and Defenders though!], I know they're shit and bits fall off on the interior but I've got some weird affinity with them that I can't explain..... I normally try to get one to run through winter and just bought an older derv Disco for this year.....

My personal experiences of the Freelander though is that they're ok to drive, the diesel engines are good but the diffs are weak and the transfer boxes are troublesome which is a big consideration if you plan to tow, not so much if you were going to just use it as a smoke. We've had a few problems with petrol [although according to Alex the K series engine is alright ] and diesel versions and don't bother stocking them anymore.... much to the relief of the warranty company

My advice is if you want a good tow vehicle buy an old technology diesel Discovery [up to 1998] the engines are good workhorses but make sure you check it's had the modified timing belt tensioner fitted... I've just had this one done and the fucking belt was missing a quarter of an inch all the way round It should have been done ages ago too..... [PM me if you want to find out how to check]

They're not the nicest things in the world to drive [like Nath said, Landcruisers are far better if you don't mind looking like a gypo] the turning circle on them is a football field but they do the job and if you bought one for say £5k you're quite likely to get that back for it this time next year

They do 30 + to the gallon as well which isn't bad for something that weighs 426 tonnes and has the aerodynamics of a brick

*edited to add* and even though it's not a secret that freelanders are comparatively shite, they still sell more new in this country than any other 4x4.
Old 20-12-2006 | 02:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I have the petrol one and my Father has the diesel one (2001).

It has so far had two turbos (one whilst towing the boat, so covered that in oil ), one transfer box, one diff, wiper blades failed all under warranty though .

In that same amount of mileage, I just put petrol, oil and tyres on mine .

However, I have had three headgaskets, one radiator, one clutch and one coilpack failure in 150,000 miles and that is it. The first gasket failed at 20,000 miles, the second at 80,000 and the third a few weeks ago at just under 150k.

It will do an indicated (three-up) 130mph (down-hill wind assisted ), which equates to a GPS timed 120 .
Old 20-12-2006 | 02:37 PM
charlie luciano
10K+ Poster!!

Default Freelander

Hired one of these over in Ireland, drove well and was good on the diesel as well

Luciano
Old 20-12-2006 | 08:26 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

actually for £5k you might get a disco 2 td5, much nicer vehicle in everyway.