General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic

Search this Thread

Old 19-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by streetracersgd
Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
streetracersgd
Just out of curiousity, when you tested the 2wd manifold back to back, did you use an identical turbo as well?

Could you please go into detail on how you carried out this test?
Yes it was a straight swop over all the same parts back in apart from the 2wd manifold lol
not had time to take the graphs of my dyno yet tho
Can you please detail the specifics, I am VERY interested in seeing the differences.

What turbo?
What dyno?
Engine spec?

Have you any pictures of the tubular design of the 2wd "copy"?
Old 19-12-2006, 06:07 PM
msport
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really cant see the meaning of making a 2wd copy.. Why make a copy of a already well proven and existing manifold? Those cant really be that hard to get? In my opinion you should only make a manifold to improve something.

Ford in the 80s had this long piped 2wd manifold due to the turbos of those days built happily backpressure and researh had not come that far to deal with it, later came the 4wd manifold as turbos started to get better, and with the benefits of lower rpm torque and faster spoolup(even with a larger turbo!)

The manifold is basically just a tube to transport the exhaustgasses to the turbo. The most important is the turbo, feed the turbo like it wants to be driven. Some turbos can make use of very short manifolds and use the stronger exhaustpulse to drive itself on real low rpms, others dont like this at all and chokes(due to clog in turbinehousing)causing lots of backpressure and broken engines(if not monitored/mapped correctly) I have already been jumped by these "super macho manifoldbuilders" that seem to solve everything with their manifolds. Its not quite that simple, well it is if you only produce long manifolds cause those work with every turbo on the market(even those from the 80s), but they dont make use of the advantages that a short manifold have. Ie It could be even better.. I use to like explaining in everydayterms for people to understand: If you put a tonne of TNT in the end of a cave and blow it off, where does it make most blastwave? If you can make use of the wave near the explosion or far out in the cave entrance, which would drive a windmill the best? Or if you put a bullet in a gun as used to and shoot a guy, or load the gun and put the bullet in the end of the barrel? See my point? It the way it works, IF the turbo is in the game. I really dont want to be nosy, I just want people to know more and maybe test own theories more than just follow the flow and not develop anything new. And really!!? Ł1000 for a manifold?! darn, I can get you manifolds in titaniumbased stainless for that! And it will look as you want! Full custom if desired.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Peter G

Who says that the manifold is a "copy" of a 2wd???
It would be great to see some of your work msport, and dynopapers from some Swedish YB engines.

Peter G
Old 19-12-2006, 08:50 PM
msport

Originally Posted by Peter G
Who says that the manifold is a "copy" of a 2wd???
It would be great to see some of your work msport, and dynopapers from some Swedish YB engines.

Peter G

Well hold your horses.. read the thread before flaming.

By Rainbird:

"Can you please detail the specifics, I am VERY interested in seeing the differences.

What turbo?
What dyno?
Engine spec?

There are people who have seen my manifold designs, mostly in motorsports, i am not into streetracing. I can give you references if you need? For ex 1 Hillclimb YB 570+bhp 700+nm, 1 WRC YB National rallycar 363bhp 650+nm, 1 GrpA YB National rallycar, 1 cosworth YB FOCUS 4x4 National Sprintcar.. Need more? Its real demands on performance not just shine. I have seen nice manifolds from you also, so dont take it hard now.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Peter G

Im not flaming. Take a look on page 5 or 6 in this forum and you will find all the answers. Can you please tell us the Rallyteams that use your manifolds? As far as I know, there´s only one manifold that is classified on YB engine in Sweden, and thats the old WRC. Can you also show us dynopapers?
Im not taking this hard msport. I belive in what I do, and you belive in what you do...Okey? But you have talked about this for nearly 3 years. And NEVER show some results. Just talk... And theres alot of more people than me that is waiting. If your customers mostly is in the motorsport, I guess there will exist some proper dynopapers. So wheres the problem to give some feedback and not just words...???

Peter G
Old 19-12-2006, 09:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by msport
dont take it hard now.
i thought that swedes do take it hard - well they have in all the films i've seen

sorry, just trying to lighten the thread up a bit it's a good one.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:33 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a proven manifold would be a good seller
Old 19-12-2006, 10:03 PM
msport

Originally Posted by Peter G
Im not flaming. Take a look on page 5 or 6 in this forum and you will find all the answers. Can you please tell us the Rallyteams that use your manifolds? As far as I know, there´s only one manifold that is classified on YB engine in Sweden, and thats the old WRC. Can you also show us dynopapers?
Im not taking this hard msport. I belive in what I do, and you belive in what you do...Okey? But you have talked about this for nearly 3 years. And NEVER show some results. Just talk... And theres alot of more people than me that is waiting. If your customers mostly is in the motorsport, I guess there will exist some proper dynopapers. So wheres the problem to give some feedback and not just words...???

Peter G
Peter,

I dont have dynopapers on my computer, i have seen them in real life. I am not too much for computers, so I have not even bothered to get them in, and for second I dont have any need to put it all here.. See any pictures of my manifold designs? any dynopapers? no.. I dont have to advertise. 3 years and nothing.. well I just gave you, what 5-6 engines.. 3 of them built by me from beginning. I am not saying these are the best manifolds in the world or engines, I am trying to just say something else. I understand you have to advertise a lot and make you look the best ever since you are living on it. I do other job for living. Learn turbos Peter and you will propably be the best in the world on manifolds. I was just wondering, when i was up to cosworths and done them for a couple of years you came up from nowhere and started welding manifolds, suddenly you are the best? Where did you gain all knowledge from? Reading books?

Who said My items run in Sweden??? In national GrpH 4wd the turbo is free as long it has a 34mm restrictor, You are allowed to modify the manifold to accept the new turbo. Who cares after that.. nobody.. its free basically. In other countries you have other classes and rules.
Old 19-12-2006, 10:05 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and they say us MADettes are touchy and like to start war
Old 19-12-2006, 10:06 PM
msport

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
a proven manifold would be a good seller
Cant be done, there is no such thing as a universial manifold. Almost every turbo has different characterics and works different on different manifolds. But if you say for ex the best proven manifold for a garrett gt30r, then its a different thing. But it does not end there.. then you have camshafts, valves, compression, flow and so on that affects.
Old 20-12-2006, 08:23 AM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

streetracersgd
Just out of curiousity, when you tested the 2wd manifold back to back, did you use an identical turbo as well?

Could you please go into detail on how you carried out this test?
Yes it was a straight swop over all the same parts back in apart from the 2wd manifold lol
not had time to take the graphs of my dyno yet tho
Can you please detail the specifics, I am VERY interested in seeing the differences.

What turbo?
What dyno?
Engine spec?

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...964&highlight=

have a look
Old 20-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Have done .
Old 20-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Gordon1

Have done .
sorry it was my dyno
thanks
Old 20-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Have done .
sorry it was my dyno
thanks
Which is?
Old 20-12-2006, 11:05 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Have done .
sorry it was my dyno
thanks
Which is?
i do hope your Dyno is TUV approved otherwsie the figures will be classed as mis-leading and inaccurate. Isnt that right Michael?
Old 20-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

TUV or not, it takes a few twiddles on dials to get whatever number you fancy.
Old 20-12-2006, 11:08 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Steve,

I know mate. Im just winding Mike up. he deserves it after all
Old 20-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Gordon1

my dyno is a maha lps3000 4wd
that is calibrated twice a year
Old 20-12-2006, 03:26 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

oooow dont tell mike that,, if it isnt bench dyno which is TUV approved he wont believe you!

redit your post and say its a superflow engine dyno
Old 20-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Gordon1

Originally Posted by GARETH T
oooow dont tell mike that,, if it isnt bench dyno which is TUV approved he wont believe you!

does not matter to me any way lol
all the testing is done on one dyno
Old 20-12-2006, 03:29 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Has Mike Rainbird checked that the calibration was done properly.
Old 20-12-2006, 11:05 PM
weegie
Virgin

sorry rapidcossie but bp was recorded in manifold at different places and turbo and exhaust aswell as temps trust me i think they always are
Old 21-12-2006, 07:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by GARETH T

does not matter to me any way lol
all the testing is done on one dyno
Exactly the way it should be done . I may not agree with the final figures as being a totally accurate representation of the actual bhp (especially if they are flywheel figures ), but as a back to back comparison, the difference will still be relevant . So ignore the MAD morons .

Any chance of the graphs over-layed so we can see the difference? If you don't know how to post them up, email them to me and I will do so for you .
Old 21-12-2006, 11:09 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

as a back to back comparison, the difference will still be relevant
as long as the ambient conditions are the same
Old 21-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
as a back to back comparison, the difference will still be relevant
as long as the ambient conditions are the same
Dyno should be able to correct for this, providing that the barometric pressure and ambient temp of air entering air box is properly recorded and entered .
Old 21-12-2006, 11:16 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

even if one run is done at a temperature high enough for ACT related ignition retard to be occurring?
Old 21-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I would imagine that any "proper" test would be carried out on the same day . However, would need to see the dyno runs to confirm this .
Old 21-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...i beleive the 2wd manifold has a flaw and thats the angle it makes as it comes from the head...the tubular are all str8 out..what can happen is at serious power levels the heat doesnt expell properly due to the bends and can travel back causing over heating and a dead engine

I maintain over 550bhp GET A TUBULAR.

Mike the reason i quote only 570bhp at 2.5bar is because it isnt live mapped if it was it would be over 600bhp
Old 21-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

So Lee's must just be the exception that proves the rule , as his made 605bhp on normal Super unleaded and has been maxed out at Bruntingthorpe without issue . Albeit only achieving a piffling 177mph* (due to 3.9 gearing), but it was revving to just under 8000rpm* at that point .

So to concure, I TOTALLY AND UTTERLY DISAGREE .

*Which incidentally is higher speed and revs than Ade's achieved before his let go, so something else needs to be considered as the problem IMO .

PS. Aren't you ignoring your own advice then You say 550bhp is safe limit for 2wd manifold, yet claiming to be running 570bhp with your one - something smells funny - aaaah yes, it's BULLSHIT
Old 21-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Mike thats if i did run 2.5bar which i wont be 2bar max for 550ish the limit

...it doesnt mean every engine will blow ...but please bare in mind lee's was a dyno 605bhp so 560 max in car ...the safe limit for no worries is 550bhp..over that you are risking...and deffo 650 + its operation certain explosion..of course this only applies if you are maxing the car out regualary...
Old 21-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Wasn't Ade's just over 600bhp on the DYNO on normal unleaded? So SIMILAR to Lee's in the car .

And as to your fictional power claims, that's like me saying if I ran my T4 at 40psi, I would have 600bhp . It just doesn't work like that .

But you CAN'T run 2.5 bar with a 2wd manifold according to you . MAKE UP YOUR MIND .
Old 21-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...who is talking about Ades?

...but my car would have 600bhp at 2.5bar

..yes you can run a 2wd manifold at 700bhp (if it could) providing it wernt a competition car.
Old 21-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
...i beleive the 2wd manifold has a flaw and thats the angle it makes as it comes from the head...the tubular are all str8 out..what can happen is at serious power levels the heat doesnt expell properly due to the bends and can travel back causing over heating and a dead engine
interesting that YOU believe this , what about the angle the gas has to pass through in the head casting.......
Old 21-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
what about the angle the gas has to pass through in the head casting.......
Maybe Phil has modded his engine so the sparkpug holes are now his exhaust ports
Old 21-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
Maybe Phil has modded his engine so the sparkpug holes are now his exhaust ports
or maybe his exhaust gasses now exit through the holes in his pistons!!!
Old 21-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Stavros
or maybe his exhaust gasses now exit through the holes in his pistons!!!
No, thats MAD Ade
Old 21-12-2006, 07:00 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by weegie
sorry rapidcossie but bp was recorded in manifold at different places and turbo and exhaust aswell as temps trust me i think they always are
how would you know?

unless your weegie Colin
Old 21-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Anonymous
Banned

..Martin just stating some facts...i assume your new engine is running the 2wd manifold?

Quick Reply: about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic