General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic

Search this Thread

Old 21-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
..Martin just stating some facts...i assume your new engine is running the 2wd manifold?

No you are not you are relaying someone elses opinions! The angle the gasses have to go through to exit the head are greater than the angle between head and first part of manifold so how do YOU answer that? or do you need to make a phone call????
Old 21-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...i note you arnt answering mine martin.
Old 21-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

My new engine is a big budget job, so why shouldn't it use a inconel manifold! Oh, and btw my turbo does not fit on a 2wd manifold.

btw... send the parts back or you will get an invoice!!
Old 21-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
My new engine is a big budget job, so why shouldn't it use a inconel manifold! Oh, and btw my turbo does not fit on a 2wd manifold.

...the parts i forgot about sorry..will send back in the new year or pay the 30 quid wernt it?...Not sure if i may still use it...with the dodgy paintwork on the saff i am a bit pissed off at the mo!

...why shouldnt you use the 2wd if its so perfect!!!!!
Old 21-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

look you freeking mongol (i'm being nice!) the 2wd manifold is not perfection but it's no where near as bad as your master says!
Old 21-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Anonymous
Banned

look you freeking mongol (i'm being nice!) the 2wd manifold is not perfection but it's no where near as bad as your master says!

...it is at 650bhp..its only me that says 550bhp cause i think its wise to be extra safe when it comes to YB's!...and my master is my other half what she got to do with it?
Old 21-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

...it is at 650bhp..its only me that says 550bhp cause i think its wise to be extra safe when it comes to YB's!...and my master is my other half what she got to do with it?
full of shit with no real answers...
Old 21-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Anonymous
Banned

..Martin i told you the flaw..you need to think about it a little more...you think very one dimensional.

...i aint totally MAD you know
Old 21-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

..Martin i told you the flaw..you need to think about it a little more...you think very one dimensional.

...i aint totally MAD you know
Sorry mate you are a waste of space! One minute its one hp thats the problem then later it's another , stick to something for fucks sake Totally lost interest in your bollocks now..
Old 22-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil,
Please explain to me how it being a competition engine changes things ?

Please also explain to me how your engine would achieve 600bhp at 2.5 bar (on a 2wd manifold), if said 2wd manifold is found wanting like you say it is - surely it would blow up at that kind of power due to the shonky manifold?

And to finish, can you explain why Lee's has not blown up, despite being MAXED out in fifth gear?

Also, Martin answered your question as to why HE didn't use the 2wd manifold on his car - THE TURBO HE HAS WOULD NOT FIT WITH ONE (learn to read ). Even the Swedish tubular manifolds that we do were not sufficient and had to be fabricated from scratch to give the clearance .

And there's more ! If you read the post by Weegie (who sounds like it is Colin from AVA ), it sounds like they have measured the back pressure INDIVIDUALLY per cylinder in the 2wd manifold, along with the EGTs and NOT found it wanting - your response to that please?
Old 22-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Phil,

- your response to that please?
He cant Mike..................

YOU BANNED HIM!
Old 22-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Wasn't me - just off to see whay he's banned THIS time . Back soon .
Old 22-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

DONT BE LONG
Old 22-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Apparently his ban doesn't finish until the weekend, and someone "accidentally" unbanned him sooner than he was supposed to be (no-one knows who yet, but possibly Eagle or Stu), so he has been re-banned until the full 7 days is up .
Old 22-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Fucking blind leading the blind!

My monies on that div Eagle!
Old 22-12-2006, 07:56 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fucking useless. Accidently un-banned
Old 22-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

His time was up today anyway, so he'll be released again shortly - brace yourselves - and God have mercy on our souls .
Old 22-12-2006, 08:10 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

There wont be any problem seeing as chip isnt here Mike
Old 22-12-2006, 08:22 AM
MAD Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

We're using the tubular manifold/external waste gate to try to eliminate what may have been one of a number of causes for the failure, also machining the oil spray jets directly into the block. After this, if it goes again, fuck knows what is causing the melt down.

The only difference between my engine and Rods engine is the crank. The head, port sizes, valve sizes are exactly the same, rods and pistons too. So the only thing that can be causing the failures must be the 2wd manifold and internal waste gate, or the oil spray bar which was checked for alignment and flow which proved to be fine. So, it's trial and error it would seem
Old 22-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My new engine is a big budget job, so why shouldn't it use a inconel manifold!
bloody right you should, on that kinda on build the best materials for the job all round plenty of the not worthy FRS crew run tubular manifolds many of them inconel still suprised that dont have a ceramic coating on it

I assume you can expect the same gains and driveability on a cossie as you do by fitting a tubular to a FRS if so well worth the money
Old 22-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Phil,

Please also explain to me how your engine would achieve 600bhp at 2.5 bar (on a 2wd manifold), if said 2wd manifold is found wanting like you say it is - surely it would blow up at that kind of power due to the shonky manifold?

And to finish, can you explain why Lee's has not blown up, despite being MAXED out in fifth gear?

Also, Martin answered your question as to why HE didn't use the 2wd manifold on his car - THE TURBO HE HAS WOULD NOT FIT WITH ONE (learn to read ). Even the Swedish tubular manifolds that we do were not sufficient and had to be fabricated from scratch to give the clearance .

And there's more ! If you read the post by Weegie (who sounds like it is Colin from AVA ), it sounds like they have measured the back pressure INDIVIDUALLY per cylinder in the 2wd manifold, along with the EGTs and NOT found it wanting - your response to that please?
Mike you dont read i said it wont happen to all engines..its one of those things it can happen...my engine would make 600bhp on a 2wd manifold BUT i would be worried about failure due to the bends in it..unfortunately Martin doesnt know what he is on about ....

Lee's wernt more than 550bhp...not 650+ which would be very risky.

Why people build huge budget engines and stick to stock manifold is beyond me.

ALL HAIL YOUR BOY IS BACK
Old 22-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

RASSSSCCCCCLLLLLAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTT!
Old 22-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ade,
I sincerely hope you resolve the issue, and come back, faster and stronger for it . I have no doubt that Mark will crack the issue and it will end up being something silly .

Given the power levels you are running compared to Lee's (not far off each other and both using a GT35), I personally think it is more to do with cylinder pressures, as the only thing that is RADICALLY different to Lee's car from yours is the compression ratio. I'm not sure what you run, but Lee's is the usual "shonky old fashioned c/r", whereas I believe yours is much higher?

If it was me, I would be building the engine IDENTICALLY and covering the particular thing that I "thought" it was with sensors to either establish the cause or eliminate it (measuring the back pressure and EGT levels in the manifold). Guessing at it has cost two engines so far, so as you say, fuck knows what happens if it lets go with a tubular manifold on - you're still none the wiser .

Also, with Rod's engine, him using a bigger turbo, means that there is much less back-pressure, so this helps things a LOT. Also the NOS makes a big difference with cooling, so that's two extra things where Rod's differs....

Good luck and keep us posted .
Old 22-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Phil,

Mike you dont read i said it wont happen to all engines..its one of those things it can happen...my engine would make 600bhp on a 2wd manifold BUT i would be worried about failure due to the bends in it..unfortunately Martin doesnt know what he is on about ....

Lee's wernt more than 550bhp...not 650+ which would be very risky.

Why people build huge budget engines and stick to stock manifold is beyond me.

ALL HAIL YOUR BOY IS BACK
Please tell us EXACTLY what engine it will happen on and why then? Please tell us why it happened on Ade's car (as by YOUR calculations / assessment, HIS "weren't more than 550bhp" ) and not Lee's (VERY similar specs), if you believe this to be a contributary factor?

BRING BACK CHIP !
Old 22-12-2006, 08:49 AM
MAD Ade

Ade,
I sincerely hope you resolve the issue, and come back, faster and stronger for it . I have no doubt that Mark will crack the issue and it will end up being something silly .

Given the power levels you are running compared to Lee's (not far off each other and both using a GT35), I personally think it is more to do with cylinder pressures, as the only thing that is RADICALLY different to Lee's car from yours is the compression ratio. I'm not sure what you run, but Lee's is the usual "shonky old fashioned c/r", whereas I believe yours is much higher?

If it was me, I would be building the engine IDENTICALLY and covering the particular thing that I "thought" it was with sensors to either establish the cause or eliminate it (measuring the back pressure and EGT levels in the manifold). Guessing at it has cost two engines so far, so as you say, fuck knows what happens if it lets go with a tubular manifold on - you're still none the wiser .

Also, with Rod's engine, him using a bigger turbo, means that there is much less back-pressure, so this helps things a LOT. Also the NOS makes a big difference with cooling, so that's two extra things where Rod's differs....

The compression ratio is 7.3:1 (measured) Rod hasn't run his on a 2wd manifold since his 504 brake engine, since the 201mph engine was fitted it has run on tudular/external. He also did all the record breaking runs on exactly the same turbo as mine (except for the waste gate)

The block is being linered at the mo, pistons are now here form the States, so hopefully should be up and running by the beginning of feb.
Old 22-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Anonymous
Banned

.......the angle in the manifold as it comes out could cause it to go back in to the engine under extreme pressure causing HEAT...note COULD...the tubular ones all come out straight.

Its a possible flaw at 600+bhp and these are expensive engines..hence i would limit to 550bhp on one

..also get over yourself re hi comp

BRING BACK IMA RACING
Old 22-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ade,
Excellent - hope the changes made resolve it . I didn't realise you ran such low compression , so is unlikely to be cylinder pressures...

Damn, I'm curious now - I think you should put the 2wd manifold on again and measure EGTs / BP on the manifold on the dyno and then switch to the tubular one and do the same - this will confirm or deny once and for all your suspicians. Changing too many things at once - the jets AND the manifold, and Phil's just going to say it was the manifold that cured it .

I'm keeping with the 2wd manifold, as I will also be sticking with the shonky T4 .
Old 22-12-2006, 09:06 AM
MAD Ade

Ade,
Excellent - hope the changes made resolve it . I didn't realise you ran such low compression , so is unlikely to be cylinder pressures...

Damn, I'm curious now - I think you should put the 2wd manifold on again and measure EGTs / BP on the manifold on the dyno and then switch to the tubular one and do the same - this will confirm or deny once and for all your suspicians. Changing too many things at once - the jets AND the manifold, and Phil's just going to say it was the manifold that cured it .

I'm keeping with the 2wd manifold, as I will also be sticking with the shonky T4 .
Tried and tested
Old 22-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Anonymous
Banned

...so mike your sticking way within the safety zone at 480bhp
Old 22-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by MAD Ade
Ade,

The compression ratio is 7.3:1 (measured) Rod hasn't run his on a 2wd manifold since his 504 brake engine, since the 201mph engine was fitted it has run on tudular/external. He also did all the record breaking runs on exactly the same turbo as mine (except for the waste gate)

The block is being linered at the mo, pistons are now here form the States, so hopefully should be up and running by the beginning of feb.
Your Comp ratio sounds fine.. Did any of the other pistons show signs of damage? Best of luck with the next one.
Old 22-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Phil,
Yep, but it's STILL faster than your shonky shit . There is absolutely NO point (IMO), in chasing NUMBERS unless you plan to do top speed runs, drag racing or similar.

I want my car to be ultra responsive and kick butt on track - and this is what it does - it punches well above it's weight and is a complete package.

If I wanted to, I could build a high horsepower engine, but all you have to do is speak to all the people that have fitted huge turbos on their cars in the "chasing numbers" game, and then find they have regretted doing so, having made the car horribly peaky.

To be honest, a well sorted T38 car will destroy 99% of road cars and do the same on track if it has a well sorted chassis. Who cares about the 1% of cars out there - how often are you likely to come up against them?

It's about the WHOLE package, not just the engine - but you have NEVER understood that... . I would rather have a totally reliable slower car, than an unreliable butt-kicker, that you were scared of breaking things. Too much power gives ever diminishing returns - just look at the transmission woes of ANY Cossie going above 500bhp - they're always destroying clutches, gearboxes or diffs - where is the fun in that? Bragging rights and that is IT .
Old 22-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Go Rainbow Go!!
Old 22-12-2006, 09:20 AM
MAD Ade

Ade,

Your Comp ratio sounds fine.. Did any of the other pistons show signs of damage? Best of luck with the next one.

Thanks Martin. The other pistons were like brand new, still had numbers
1 - 4 on them in marker pen.
Old 22-12-2006, 09:23 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Ade,

Have you got a pic of your fucked piston?
Old 22-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Ade,

Is there any pictures of the damaged piston that you would be happy to show? I'm not interested in taking the piss but would like to see it and also the combustion chamber too ....

edited to say..

doh, beaten by rich while i was carefully wording my post!!
Old 22-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Mike for the first time in your life you actually sounded intelligent.

You are right and i will be sticking to 2bar and hopefully reliability should need no other mods exept to sort out the cars chicken pox
Old 22-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Ade,

How does that compare with the previous failure - are there ANY similarities, or is it two totally disconnected failures? Hopefully, you'll say the former, as the latter doesn't bear thinking about, if it is totally random .
Old 22-12-2006, 09:31 AM
MAD Ade

Ade,

Is there any pictures of the damaged piston that you would be happy to show? I'm not interested in taking the piss but would like to see it and also the combustion chamber too ....

edited to say..

doh, beaten by rich while i was carefully wording my post!!
Compression chamber was unmarked as was last time, no pictures. Do have a picture on my phone of the piston, I'll send to Rich, see if you can post it up mate.
Old 22-12-2006, 09:35 AM
MAD Ade

Ade,

How does that compare with the previous failure - are there ANY similarities, or is it two totally disconnected failures? Hopefully, you'll say the former, as the latter doesn't bear thinking about, if it is totally random .
Mike, the failures were identical, first one waqs number two, this time number three

Quick Reply: about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic