General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic

Search this Thread

Old 16-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
...the 2wd manifold is a flaw past 550bhp where you are having to push more boost than you should compromising reliability.

..the t4 turbo in grp a trim is capable of 540bhp on sul a std t4 around 500bhp reliably!
Im trying hard to follow your logic...bear with me ....the manifold is expelling gasses right....Not boost!

Would it not then follow that the effectiveness of the manifold is measured in Back Preassure vs power?

Therefore if BP is reduced then efficiency increases?
Old 16-12-2006, 04:28 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andy_R
...the 2wd manifold is a flaw past 550bhp where you are having to push more boost than you should compromising reliability.

..the t4 turbo in grp a trim is capable of 540bhp on sul a std t4 around 500bhp reliably!
Im trying hard to follow your logic...bear with me ....the manifold is expelling gasses right....Not boost!

Would it not then follow that the effectiveness of the manifold is measured in Back Preassure vs power?

Therefore if BP is reduced then efficiency increases?
Give that man a medal!

thats the idea behind my exhaust
Old 16-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Anonymous
Banned

...andy your having to up the boost to get the power due to the ineffcient manifold...yes by upping the exhaust diameter a bit would help this....but the majority cant see past there mongoose. ...as i noted euan has done this and upped his power but its still taking 2.5bar from a t4,put a tubular on and see that same power at 2.1bar
Old 16-12-2006, 04:57 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

if my car runs with zero backpressure in the exhaust how is the manifold inefficent?
Old 16-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Anonymous
Banned

euan we are talking realitys here whereas you are developing a whole new exhaust by the sounds when you should just change the manifold and save the aggro ..i understand the mongoose did 630bhp with a tubular
Old 16-12-2006, 05:19 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Phil,

you got a pm
Old 16-12-2006, 06:03 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich off topic , im just looking at your sig, what kind of power does your car make mate
Old 16-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Gordon1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
Originally Posted by streetracersgd
...ok ok...look...the 2wd manifold is only effcient to around 550bhp as i keep saying...why would you want to go over this as you are having to use more boost to acheive the goal....now more boost is surely more strain on componants especially head gaskets..not to mention more heat..so yes using a 2wd manifold past 550bhp is stupid

So if you spec an engine over this then the engine is flawed and as the geezer above says you spend all this cash on a big power motor and leave a stock manifold on

My own car would need 2.5bar boost from my GT35 to reach 570-580bhp ...put the tubular manifold on and your now seeing less boost to acheive that bhp and less strain....personally i wont run above 2bar so i am not over the safe threshold of the manifold.

true peeps must be mad using a 2wd for 500 -550 bhp and not a tubular
i must be mad then

mad enough for my car to come off a trailer, do 5 runs down a run way running 2.5 bar, do a very impreressive top speed for my power and go back on the trailer without even checking the oil

im a nutter

if you have tested back pressure and EGT and find no problems then why change the manifold??? oh wait...cos someone on passionford says so
is your car not a road car then as i said before i did not say they are crap just way use one when want as much power as poss you have changed parts on your car to get more power so why not the manifold
Old 17-12-2006, 02:40 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

euan we are talking realitys here whereas you are developing a whole new exhaust by the sounds when you should just change the manifold and save the aggro ..i understand the mongoose did 630bhp with a tubular

i had a different exhaust fitted because the person who tunes my car knows the biggest restiction on big power cars is the exhaust..

i saw th test results on back pressure before and after and they proove the exhaust defo works.

I know that i would benifet from a tubular manifold but im not prepared to pay a grand for one..
Old 17-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Gordon1

how much did you pay for your exhaust and what did you gain for it
Old 17-12-2006, 03:47 PM
yrkesman
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by GARETH T
you must be lead by price then

as we have just tested the peter G manifold and VERY happy with what we found compaired to the old 2wd manifold
was there ANY improvement,, and in what way?
Yes there was will post up over the weekend
Can we see the results yet?
Old 17-12-2006, 03:49 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

i gained various abouts of bhp at different rev points...

as much as 50bhp at certian points.

changed a few other things on the power curve too.

exhaust was a grand
Old 17-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Gordon1

i gained various abouts of bhp at different rev points...

as much as 50bhp at certian points.

changed a few other things on the power curve too.

exhaust was a grand
ok will a tubular be next then
Old 17-12-2006, 04:34 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

no plans for one yet.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

streetracersgd
Just out of curiousity, when you tested the 2wd manifold back to back, did you use an identical turbo as well?

Could you please go into detail on how you carried out this test?

Rod,
FYI Lee's 177mph is limited bu his 3.9 gearing , NOT his manifold design - I thought you of all people would understand this . Obviously wearing your blinkers still .

Phil,
Mmmmmm, well on an engine dyno (the same way others measure their engines), Lee's car made 605bhp @ 32psi (2.2bar) using a GT35 - some way off your 2.5 bar that you quote is required to get 600bhp out of a 2wd manifold . Unless of course you're hinting that Reyland engines are more efficient than your own, as you state that yours would only make 560-570 at 2.5 bar !

Lee's was also on NORMAL 98RON super unleaded and not the 99RON now available (that has helped Euan ).
Old 18-12-2006, 09:57 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by NUTTIN RILLA
Rich off topic , im just looking at your sig, what kind of power does your car make mate
Around 380 bhp
Old 18-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Around 380 bhp
Arse dyno guesstimate?
Old 18-12-2006, 10:14 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Around 380 bhp
Arse dyno guesstimate?
No TUV approved dyno. Oh no, hang on. MAD dont use that so nothing can be true

It is arse dyno yes, going by the speed we can reach on Marks test route compared to a dyno'd 400 bhp cossie
Old 18-12-2006, 03:00 PM
MAD Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

We're going tubular (the one pictured in white on the last manifold thread) with external wastegate. This should help the GT35 to spool up quicker, and hopefully give us a few more horses, so may not go the nitrous route after all
Old 18-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by MAD Ade
We're going tubular (the one pictured in white on the last manifold thread) with external wastegate. This should help the GT35 to spool up quicker, and hopefully give us a few more horses, so may not go the nitrous route after all
Was the 2wd manifold blamed for your failure?
Old 18-12-2006, 03:59 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

You going to Marks this w/e Ade?
Old 18-12-2006, 04:37 PM
rs4steve

mike this was assumed on my last engine failure that there was too much back pressure and the egt temps were too high causing overheating in the bores and causing piston disfigurement this was not the case.

As further investigation found there was a hairline crack in no 3 bore which did not show up on dyno or low boost(1.4 bar) in car but only at brunters on full boost (2.2 bar).

new engine will be dyno'd end of week (hopefully) and will be using a 2wd manifold
Old 18-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by kaliber cossie
mike this was assumed on my last engine failure that there was too much back pressure and the egt temps were too high causing overheating in the bores and causing piston disfigurement this was not the case.

As further investigation found there was a hairline crack in no 3 bore which did not show up on dyno or low boost(1.4 bar) in car but only at brunters on full boost (2.2 bar).

new engine will be dyno'd end of week (hopefully) and will be using a 2wd manifold
Another car I'm looking forward to seeing, BUT keep it plain!
Old 18-12-2006, 06:11 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

streetracersgd
Just out of curiousity, when you tested the 2wd manifold back to back, did you use an identical turbo as well?

Rod,
FYI Lee's 177mph is limited bu his 3.9 gearing , NOT his manifold design - I thought you of all people would understand this . Obviously wearing your blinkers still .

Phil,
Mmmmmm, well on an engine dyno (the same way others measure their engines), Lee's car made 605bhp @ 32psi (2.2bar) using a GT35 - some way off your 2.5 bar that you quote is required to get 600bhp out of a 2wd manifold . Unless of course you're hinting that Reyland engines are more efficient than your own, as you state that yours would only make 560-570 at 2.5 bar !

Lee's was also on NORMAL 98RON super unleaded and not the 99RON now available (that has helped Euan ).
my car ran v power on the day mike..

is that 99 ron?
Old 18-12-2006, 06:13 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

streetracersgd

Rod,

Phil,

my car ran v power on the day mike..

is that 99 ron?
as near as dammit i think Euan yes. Would have put some octane boost in there as well if it were me
Old 18-12-2006, 06:16 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

my car is a road car Rich..and always runs vpower so thats how we kept it.

it also made a fair comparison to other T4 cars that had ran on previous dates/years.

we had our allowed 102 ron ultimate but we onyl filled the car with that after the runs
Old 18-12-2006, 07:09 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

it also made a fair comparison to other T4 cars that had ran on previous dates/years.

we had our allowed 102 ron ultimate but we onyl filled the car with that after the runs
Indeed it is Euan. Im wasnt talking about putting 102 ron fuel in for every run. i meant the bottles of stuff like wynn's octane boost from halfords you can buy for Ł5 a bottle. Just gives that little bit of extra safety margin.
Old 18-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Gordon1

streetracersgd

Yes it was a straight swop over all the same parts back in apart from the 2wd manifold lol
not had time to take the graphs of my dyno yet tho
Old 18-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

ASSUMED!? why was egt's (per cyl) and back pressure not measured on the dyno?
Old 18-12-2006, 08:19 PM
rs4steve

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
simon norris mapped on motec on dyno all ok, but in car higher loading higher temps were assumed as reason for engine failure, different engine builder at time block wasn't xray'd before machining as brand new block,
it wasn,t until simon come to start building the engine back up in july that the block was xray'd and showed a defect, so another 200 block had tobe sourced and 10 studded again,

on another note martin what waterpump do u run with 10 studs?
Old 18-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

So you did monitor individual egt's and back pressure on the dyno? If that's the case then the plan should have been to do this in the car too! We did both on my engine!

I use a 2wd water pump.

simon norris mapped on motec on dyno all ok, but in car higher loading higher temps were assumed as reason for engine failure, different engine builder at time block wasn't xray'd before machining as brand new block,
it wasn,t until simon come to start building the engine back up in july that the block was xray'd and showed a defect, so another 200 block had tobe sourced and 10 studded again,

Old 18-12-2006, 08:41 PM
rs4steve

dont worry will be double checking eveything this time thanks steve

So you did monitor individual egt's and back pressure on the dyno? If that's the case then the plan should have been to do this in the car too! We did both on my engine!

I use a 2wd water pump.

Old 18-12-2006, 08:43 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Indeed it is Euan. Im wasnt talking about putting 102 ron fuel in for every run. i meant the bottles of stuff like wynn's octane boost from halfords you can buy for Ł5 a bottle. Just gives that little bit of extra safety margin.
Rich...the car was extensivley tested and octane booster or higher octane fuel is not needed.

only thing that could be improved was the charge temps, which are being addressed as we speak
Old 18-12-2006, 09:49 PM
msport
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Ok, im back.

1. So first of all, where do you measure backpressure?(all who measures, answer)

2. A manifold SELDOM cause backpressure.

3. Turbos cause backpressure by having too small turbineshafts/too high rev on the shaft causing gasses to push to the outer wall of the turbinehousing by the G-force of the mass and not able to evacuate. The faster it flows around the turbine house outer perifery the harder it is to evacuate and forms a clog. By using a larger turbinehousing(as manytimes done when problem not understood) you can make the problem a little less due to the slower flow in the larger diam of the housing, but still there will be BP due to the smaller outlet/shaft. The problem gets solved by a slightly larger diam turbineshaft. It will flow more and reduce the mass of gasses rotating in the housing. Also important is the shape of the inside of the housing on how it will empty itself. There are formulas for calculating how much a certain diam turbine will flow, but it only says how much the outlethole and shaft will flow, and does not take any notice on housing design.

4. Exhausts can also make BP, aim always on using as large as possible on a turboengine, it can be too small, but never too large!

5. RS500 eggenbergers used 2wd manifolds?? 550bhp? 24h Lemans.. Headgasket blew.. engine did not.. I cant in my wildest dreams think that a 2wd manifold is restrictive at 550bhp. But it has in my opinion other flaws that could not be taken as an advantage in the 80s(TURBO FLAWS).

Diving for cover..
Old 18-12-2006, 09:54 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by msport
Ok, im back.

1. So first of all, where do you measure backpressure?(all who measures, answer)

2. A manifold SELDOM cause backpressure.

3. Turbos cause backpressure by having too small turbineshafts/too high rev on the shaft causing gasses to push to the outer wall of the turbinehousing by the G-force of the mass and not able to evacuate. The faster it flows around the turbine house outer perifery the harder it is to evacuate and forms a clog. By using a larger turbinehousing(as manytimes done when problem not understood) you can make the problem a little less due to the slower flow in the larger diam of the housing, but still there will be BP due to the smaller outlet/shaft. The problem gets solved by a slightly larger diam turbineshaft. It will flow more and reduce the mass of gasses rotating in the housing. Also important is the shape of the inside of the housing on how it will empty itself. There are formulas for calculating how much a certain diam turbine will flow, but it only says how much the outlethole and shaft will flow, and does not take any notice on housing design.

4. Exhausts can also make BP, aim always on using as large as possible on a turboengine, it can be too small, but never too large!

5. RS500 eggenbergers used 2wd manifolds?? 550bhp? 24h Lemans.. Headgasket blew.. engine did not.. I cant in my wildest dreams think that a 2wd manifold is restrictive at 550bhp. But it has in my opinion other flaws that could not be taken as an advantage in the 80s(TURBO FLAWS).

Diving for cover..
good post
Old 18-12-2006, 09:55 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

the back pressure on my engine was measured in the exhaust housing or just after it i think..
Old 18-12-2006, 10:04 PM
msport
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

the back pressure on my engine was measured in the exhaust housing or just after it i think..

If it is measured in the exh housing then you can impossible measure manifold BP since the gasflow has already left the manifold and entered the turbine.. The gasflow has to be restricted on something to be measured as pressure. Its like we need to measure the pressure in a gardenhose, we cant measure the pressure in the bucket we just filled up.
Old 18-12-2006, 10:17 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

wasnt measuring bp in the manifold..
Old 18-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by msport
Ok, im back.

.. Headgasket blew.. engine did not.. I cant in my wildest dreams think that a 2wd manifold is restrictive at 550bhp. But it has in my opinion other flaws that could not be taken as an advantage in the 80s(TURBO FLAWS).

Diving for cover..
Old 19-12-2006, 01:48 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

someone buy me a dyno and ill run some tests for you

i think alot of people will be surprised at to how good a 2wd manifold really is!

Quick Reply: about cosworth ex manifold ...from other topic