General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Heated front screen in a focus

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:42 PM
kev 3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated front screen in a focus

Ive been asked by a friend of a friend to see if i can wire up his front windscreen which has just been changed due to being cracked as the original was non heated and the windscreen company have fitted a heated version, so before diving in feet first i was wondering wether anyone new if the wiring loom was already fitted in focus's from new and only missing the button, relay and fuse etc ????

All help would be much appreciated
Kev
Old 11-12-2006, 06:49 PM
paceo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Heated front screen in a focus

Originally Posted by kas 3dr
Ive been asked by a friend of a friend to see if i can wire up his front windscreen which has just been changed due to being cracked as the original was non heated and the windscreen company have fitted a heated version, so before diving in feet first i was wondering wether anyone new if the wiring loom was already fitted in focus's from new and only missing the button, relay and fuse etc ????

All help would be much appreciated
Kev
i have always wondered this!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Right, not sure about whether the loom is there already, but if you want to have a look, the connections will be in one of two places.

There are two different screens for the mk1 shape Focus - the only difference was the heater connector locations. 1 had a ribbon type connector that was fixed to an eath point behind the interior light (pop the light out and there should be a bolt stem with an 10mm nut on it, and along with the gold coloured "ribbon" is a brown earth wire with ring terminal) Now all Focus's had this, as it's an earth point for other things aswell (hence the brown earth point) This screen had the bottom connector (black multiplug) at the bottom of the screen, in the centre. YOu need to remove wipers + scuttle panel to have a look under it for the multiplug which will be under the wiper linkage, roughly in the centre.

2nd screen had 2 multiplugs, at the bottom of the screen, one in each corner, and no ribbon connector at the top under the light. Again you need to remove the wipers and scuttle to have a lok in the corners under the scuttle.

WORD OF WARNING. Focus scuttles are SHITE. Early ones had metal reinforcing - removing them basically bends the shit otu of em and they never sit flat again. Secondly, they have shite hidden clips (look at the scuttle, you will see round fake "blanking" circles. The one in the centre really is a blanking cap - there is a screw beneathe it. The others tho are fake, but directly beneath these on the underside of the scuttle are shitty hidden clips. These brake 90% of the time when taken off

Lastly, the passenger side of the scruttle is a complete cunt. Ford, in their wisdom, put the panel filter for the cabin air intake beneath it. As such, the scuttle needs to be sealed to the screen, as otherwise water runs the screen, goes under the scuttle, drips into the pollen filter and the passenger footwell becomes a swimming pool

We get SO many Focu's come back in work after having screens done for leaking, when they aren't actually leaking, it's the scuttle not sealing to the screen that is the prob.....
Old 11-12-2006, 06:55 PM
FasterFords

It doesn't have the loom, the guy who runs RSSi had one fitted and had to have a loom made up.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:56 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very power hungry heated screens, make sure its high ampage cable!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM
kev 3dr

Cheers mate, all I have been told its a 51 plate and other than that and its a a heated screen fitted I dont know anymore !!

And they want a price before I do it
Old 11-12-2006, 08:08 PM
THE RADMAN
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

when i changed the pollen filter on the wifes there is a gutter/channel built in to the scuttle which has to be hookedd under the screen to catch the water,it didnt need sealing or anything

Trending Topics

Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by THE RADMAN
when i changed the pollen filter on the wifes there is a gutter/channel built in to the scuttle which has to be hookedd under the screen to catch the water,it didnt need sealing or anything
As I said tho, 90% of them come back due to leaking from the pollen filter. The design isn't great (the mk4 Golf has a similar set up, difference is theirs works ) and most of the time the water misses or overflows the gutter tray and spills into the filter....
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
PROMETHEUS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Every Focus I have dealt with has had all the wiring there just needed the relay, fuse etc, you may find heated washer jets there too
Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS
Every Focus I have dealt with has had all the wiring there just needed the relay, fuse etc, you may find heated washer jets there too
That doesnt include the Focus RS tho
Old 11-12-2006, 11:42 PM
PROMETHEUS

never done a focus rs no lol
Old 12-12-2006, 12:01 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Think you need a small part of the loom, the dash button and you also have to get the screen 'turned on' The focus has its own ECU to control shit like the 3 indicator flashs, auto door locking etc etc.

Well my friend had to get that done on his 2004 ST 170 when he retro fitted a heated screen.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:15 AM
PROMETHEUS

I have dealership drawings of First evolution Focus if anyone needs em
Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 AM
PROMETHEUS

Think you need a small part of the loom, the dash button and you also have to get the screen 'turned on' The focus has its own ECU to control shit like the 3 indicator flashs, auto door locking etc etc.

Heated screen only works off engine run relay, can be modded!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 AM
kev 3dr

Cheers guys I will get intouch with a local Ford agents and see what the score is on the loom and ecu.

just seen a switch on ebay cheap !!!