General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Best size for wheels on a Sapph Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best size for wheels on a Sapph Cosworth

What and why, in your opinion, is the best size wheels to run on a Sapph Cosworth?

In the past I have had 17s on but a few people I know have had Escos rims on and the ride seems nicer. Dunno if its just cos its someone elses car or what.

Im on the lookout for some new wheels for my latest one and was tempted to run Escos rims but I also really love 17 inch 6 spoke Compomotive MOs, think they would look wicked in anthracite/dark grey on a moonstone Sapph.

Has anyone else noticed differences in handling, ride etc with the different sizes or is it mainly just a looks thing?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Azev As or Rondell 122s for a stylish saff

Or everyman and his mutts Comp Mo`s for the rally-esque look
Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Rondells look great but i'm picking up a set of 18"mo's tonight for my saph.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Best size for wheels on a Sapph Cosworth

Originally Posted by BigErn
What and why, in your opinion, is the best size wheels to run on a Sapph Cosworth?

Has anyone else noticed differences in handling, ride etc with the different sizes or is it mainly just a looks thing?
The car was originally set up to run on 15s remember.

I thought the main reason to run on bigger wheels was so you can fit bigger brakes.
Another important consideration these days is the better tyre choice in 16/17/18 as 15" isn't really a big wheel like it was 15 years ago - even 1.2 Corsas run 15s now.
By cutting down on the sidewall depth by going to lower profiles in bigger diameter wheels, you can make the feel of the car on turn-in more direct but it will almost definitely not ride as well as the tyre does some of the "suspension" work and by going to bigger wheels you have removed some of the compliance. Probably good on the track though but not so good on bumpy roads with lots of longitudinal ridges as the car will want to tramline and fidget more generally
Depends what you want to achieve or whether you prefer the looks of big wheels