General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

BOC gas cylinders????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BOC gas cylinders????

Do BOC cylinders have a bar code on them near the top??

I have found a few BOC bottles at in a deserted unit. The company went down and just ran several months ago.

I also have a mate with a BOC account.

My question is:

If i gave him the bottle and paid for it to be filled. Could i get away with it.
Would they assume it was one of his bottles and re-fill it. Or are all bottles identified by a bar code?

It might save me the bottle rent if they are not.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:37 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the awnser is no you cant

Dave
Old 08-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do not log the bottles individually. However your mate will have all his allocation of gas bottles held, logged to his account (eg 6 Size W argon, 3 Size W Oxygen, 3 Size W Acetylene etc), so as long as he had one of these showing on his account thatyou have "found", yes you would get away with the rental (but still pay for the gas and delivery). The rental is nothing - in fact if you told me what gas it was, I could tell you the exact cost....

The way it would work is (lets say it is Argon), you order a bottle, it gets exchanged for your "found one" and your mate then gets charged for a bottle including delivery and rental on that bottle. However, when he next orders some gas and returns the empty bottle that your one "replaced", then rental will stop from that point, even though you still have a full bottle of gas . However, as rental is only £7.45 + VAT a month, you're not exactly making a huge saving , unless that one bottle is likely to last you more than 12 months. However, we get through bottles in weeks, let alone months...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Avinitlarge
PassionFord Regular

My mate gets the BOC bottles for free, Not going to say how but aslong as you have a bottle and an account you can get them filled, Or you could sell it on ebay but do not say its a BOC bottle, The bottles are property of BOC, You can not buy them, Only rent them
Old 08-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by dave green
the awnser is no you cant

Dave
I take it you work for BOC then!
Old 08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
They do not log the bottles individually. However your mate will have all his allocation of gas bottles held, logged to his account (eg 6 Size W argon, 3 Size W Oxygen, 3 Size W Acetylene etc), so as long as he had one of these showing on his account thatyou have "found", yes you would get away with the rental (but still pay for the gas and delivery). The rental is nothing - in fact if you told me what gas it was, I could tell you the exact cost....

Pure argon.

I probably won'y use more than 1/2 half bottles a year so the saving on rental is quite big proportionaly.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

only one way to find out mate, or say you are the company that just gone tits up lol?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've got some Oxygen and Acetylene that need refilling. Well, just the 02 actually. Pain in the arse, needs filling about once every 10 years!
Old 08-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that you order it with a delivery your mate was intending to have anyway, as delivery cost is nearly £30 (whether for one cylinder or twenty). What size bottle is it?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:30 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

I always swap mine personally at a BOC trade centre.
They check to see what you have on hire, so it would have to be a size/type your mate already has but they don't check the identity of the bottle you return or log the identitiy of the bottle you take.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 PM
dave green
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont work for BOC but go there often to get my gas. Mike rainbird above is right. if you have got the same size bottle that is logged to your mates account you will get away with it.

Dave