General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Liverpool FC takeover

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liverpool FC takeover

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

Hope it comes to fruition
Old 04-12-2006, 07:35 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

wish some rich fooker would come in and buy leeds
Old 04-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So long as they have as much money as those pesky russians

Shouldn't be a problem in Dubai
Old 04-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Speedy Gonzalez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

maybe we can start buying decent players and not spend 6/7million on crap
Old 04-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Redkop

Dubai Holding is a holdings company that belongs to the Dubai
Government.

DIC is run by chief executive Sameer Al Ansari and owns the Madame Tussauds Group and the Travelodge hotel chain as well as one third of the London Eye.

The company is an investment arm of Dubai Holding, which is owned by Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

The Al Maktoum family are internationally renowned for their running of the Godophin horse racing stables.

The Dubai Holding Company has major investments in many international firms such as:-

DaimlerChrysler (2%)
Madame Tussaud (100%)
Carlton Tower London (100%)
Londes Hotel London (100%)
Essex House New York (100%)
Dubai Bank (70%)
Emirates Tower Hotel & Offices (75%)
Sunbelt rental apartments (21000 apartment)

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by big bad al
maybe we can start buying decent players and not spend 6/7million on crap
maybe rafa has been on ebay lookin for new talent

but tbh, buying the best doesnt nessacarily (sp) make you the best, look at chelski, they can win the title but theyll never be able to buy the champions league
Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Redkop

Update from the Liverpool Echo LINK

LIVERPOOL Football Club is set to be taken over by the investment arm of the Dubai government, the ECHO can confirm.

Control will transfer into the hands of the world's fifth-richest man, whose personal fortune dwarfs that of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich. Barring a last minute hitch the stunning deal worth around £400m will go ahead in the next few weeks, taking Britain's most successful football club into a hugely exciting new era.

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-2006, 11:45 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

it's exciting,but it's also a little saddening

i HATE the way Chelski have just bought success........as much as i hate Man United,they made a lot of their money from their own success in the early 90's and built from that..

oh well i guess you have to Join them if you can't always beat them
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by bud-weis

i HATE the way Chelski have just bought success........as much as i hate Man United,they made a lot of their money from their own success in the early 90's and built from that..

SHUT UP YOU TART

I'd be happy to buy the premiership because right now it looks like the only way

At least we ddin't have to buy the CL
Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Redkop

Mourinho at Chelski has bought players just for the sake of it though, to stop other Prem teams from buying them. Managers like Rafa, Fergie & Wenger would only buy players to improve their squads, if vast amounts of money were available to them IMO.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:31 PM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Redkop

Mourinho at Chelski has bought players just for the sake of it though, to stop other Prem teams from buying them. Managers like Rafa, Fergie & Wenger would only buy players to improve their squads, if vast amounts of money were available to them IMO.
agreed.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

nah if they all had a blank cheque i reckon they would all do the same as mourinho, cos they all wouldnt want star players goin to other clubs as it provides a bigger threat to them.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 PM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
LOL! You dont need to be rich to buy Leeds footy club!!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to be honest im a bit dubious, the moores family have been a rock to liverpool over the years, i hope these new people have the club at heart like the moores do. and this might sound crazy, but im always banging on about chelsea, and them buying success, i hope liverpool dont turn the same way, a couple of world class players wouldnt go a miss, but liverpool are a team built on history, and ill be gutted if we turn into another chelsea, but maybe im living in the past, and this is modern day football.

from liverpoolfc.tv

Liverpool Football Club today confirms that it has entered into a period of exclusive negotiations with Dubai International Capital ('DIC') about a possible investment in the club.
No deal has yet been agreed and the detail of any transaction which may or may not include a formal offer by DIC for Liverpool Football Club is still to be confirmed.

The Club aims to keep Liverpool shareholders and supporters fully informed and will make a further statement as soon as possible.

DIC is the international investment arm of Dubai Holding, which owns and manages a diversified portfolio of companies operating in the fields of leisure, healthcare, technology, finance, real estate, research, education, tourism, energy and communications. DIC has a strong track record in both the leisure sector and in the UK. In 2005, for example, it bought Tussauds, the largest operator of visitor attractions in Europe, for $1.5bn. It also owns the Travelodge hotel group. Its parent company owns various London hotels, including the Carlton Tower.

Rick Parry, Chief Executive of Liverpool, said: "This is the latest step on the road of finding the long-term investment that the Club needs. DIC is a potential investor with the resources and philosophy that we believe could make them an ideal partner. Already they have demonstrated a full understanding of, and respect for, the club’s heritage and values. We also believe they share our passion for success. In particular, DIC believes in investing in the businesses it acquires. This is very important in terms of the proposed new stadium, which is key to plans for the regeneration of the local community. On the pitch, Liverpool remains focused on winning and, here again, this is all about doing a deal that gives us the long-term resources to do that."

Dealing Disclosure Requirements

Under the provisions of Rule 8.3 of the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers (the “Code”), if any person is, or becomes, “interested” (directly or indirectly) in 1% or more of any class of “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool, all “dealings” in any “relevant securities” of that company (including by means of an option in respect of, or a derivative referenced to, any such “relevant securities”) must be publicly disclosed by no later than 3.30pm (London time) on the London business day following the date of the relevant transaction. This requirement will continue until the date on which the offer becomes, or is declared, unconditional as to acceptances, lapses or is otherwise withdrawn or on which the “offer period” otherwise ends. If two or more persons act together pursuant to an agreement or understanding, whether formal or informal, to acquire an “interest” in “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool, they will be deemed to be a single person for the purpose of Rule 8.3.

Under the provisions of Rule 8.1 of the Code, all “dealings” in “relevant securities” of DIC or of Liverpool by Liverpool or by DIC or by any of their respective “associates”, must be disclosed by no later than 12.00 noon (London time) on the London business day following the date of the relevant transaction.

A disclosure table, giving details of the companies in whose “relevant securities” “dealings” should be disclosed, and the number of such securities in issue, can be found on the Takeover Panel’s website at www.thetakeoverpanel.org.uk.

“Interests in securities” arise, in summary, when a person has long economic exposure, whether conditional or absolute, to changes in the price of securities. In particular, a person will be treated as having an “interest” by virtue of the ownership or control of securities, or by virtue of any option in respect of, or derivative referenced to, securities. Terms in quotation marks are defined in the Code, which can also be found on the Panel’s website. If you are in any doubt as to whether or not you are required to disclose a “dealing” under Rule 8, you should consult the Panel.

from skysports.com

Liverpool have confirmed they have 'entered into a period of exclusive negotiations with Dubai International Capital about a possible investment in the club'.

Chief executive Rick Parry revealed The Reds are attracted by the possibility of a future partnership with the resource-rich investment group.

Parry also reiterated the Liverpool board's confidence in DIC's motives for investment after the group's interest was first made public on Monday.

The Merseyside club have long been the subject of speculation with regard to what Parry describes as a much-needed injection of funds.

"This is the latest step on the road of finding the long-term investment that the club needs," said Parry.

"DIC is a potential investor with the resources and philosophy that we believe could make them an ideal partner.

"Already they have demonstrated a full understanding of, and respect for, the club's heritage and values.

"We also believe they share our passion for success. In particular, DIC believes in investing in the businesses it acquires. This is very important in terms of the proposed new stadium, which is key to plans for the regeneration of the local community.

"On the pitch, Liverpool remains focused on winning and, here again, this is all about doing a deal that gives us the long-term resources to do that."
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Series1Dry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

£400million . . . 1/2 the price of Man United
Old 04-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Series1Dry
its still more than abramovich paid for chelsea
Old 04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Series1Dry
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Chelsea are a southern club. . . northern clubs are worth more
Old 04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
addiction
Advanced PassionFord User

man u was was aquired for £560 million!! most of which was borrowed!! they are now £250 million in debt well done mr glazier
Old 04-12-2006, 06:57 PM
Redkop

Liverpool will be acquired for £479m actually and DIC won't be bringing the club into debt like the Glazers had to borrow money to buy ManU
Old 04-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Liverpool will be acquired for £479m actually and DIC won't be bringing the club into debt like the Glazers had to borrow money to buy ManU
just been reading on icliverpool, that he's going to pay of liverpool's £80 million debt aswell, so the club wont anything. it all sounds good to be honest, just hope it turns out that way.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

As long as we dont turn into a chelsea type team and still have players come through the ranks i aint bothered, although i dont think we need to spend the money chelsea have to win the premiership, we've won the FA cup last season with 11 or some odd games unbeaten run, CL before that all without the money just passionate players!
Old 04-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

how come we were in debt?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
how come we were in debt?
Too be honest Hardeep most prem clubs are, ManU to be fair to them "where" one of the few teams in the black, until the glaziers put them also in debt

I've been reading all the reports and so far it looks almost too good to be true (which is a slight worry ) The main bonus as I see it will be that IF the DIC do take us over, Stanley Park will become a reality, and also we will then be on a level playing field with not only Chelski and Utd, but more importantly will have the financial clout to go up against the major European teams...
Old 04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

IF they start spending rediculousy like Chelsea then thats me done with Liverpool. Im almost done with football anyways and that would be the final nail in the cofin....
Old 04-12-2006, 08:01 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
IF they start spending rediculousy like Chelsea then thats me done with Liverpool. Im almost done with football anyways and that would be the final nail in the cofin....
I honestly cant see it mate... and to be honest I think the main reason the Board are talking to these people is to get Stanley Park built.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

hope so ....
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by GTechR
I honestly cant see it mate... and to be honest I think the main reason the Board are talking to these people is to get Stanley Park built.
i agree, the new stadium is top of liverpools wish list and has been for a few years now, but a few quid for squad improvement wouldnt go amiss.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
addiction

IF they start spending rediculousy like Chelsea then thats me done with Liverpool
thats not Raffa's style anyway,he would rather spend the money on quality team players than so called "superstar" players!
look at real madrid,they had the galactico's mentallity and won nothing!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

and when you read stuff like

Control will transfer into the hands of the world's fifth-richest man, whose personal fortune dwarfs that of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

Barring a last minute hitch the stunning deal worth around £400m will go ahead in the next few weeks, taking Britain's most successful football club into a hugely exciting new era.

and

The deal will fund the building of the Reds' new 60,000 seater, £200m stadium in Stanley Park, clear the club's £80m debt and bring significant funds to develop Liverpool on and off the pitch, enabling them to continue to compete for the world's top stars.

so in reading that, " enabling them to continue to compete for the world's top stars " would make me think, he wants to bring in the worlds top players. to be honest, i think its a wait and see situation.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh god yes mate... we need a couple of world class players, but I don't see us going down the same road as chelski...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

i think we pool supporters need to stop using the word DIC to describe the new owners of liverpoolfc as i'm sure the rival supporters will be using that as a pisstake in the future

bit like Trotters Independant Traders = TIT
Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah I did think that
Old 04-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
i think we pool supporters need to stop using the word DIC to describe the new owners of liverpoolfc as i'm sure the rival supporters will be using that as a pisstake in the future

bit like Trotters Independant Traders = TIT
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by vikingboy
Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
LOL! You dont need to be rich to buy Leeds footy club!!
you do with all the debt there still in

still paying off the likes of o'leary, fowler, mills etc...

wage bill last season was £19 million, and 3 million of that is on the current squad

hopefully someone will come in soon, but i also hope i win the lottery and i think i got a better chance of winning that and i dont even put a pound on it

i think if liverpool do get took over it would be wrong of them to try and become the new chelski as its never been there style, theyve always been a club similar to man united, nurturing youth team players and building a team that could play for years together. the idea of a new stadium would be good esp if you didnt have to share with everton to cut the costs. i do feel tho that with these foreign investors ploughing money into football its gonna turn the premiership into a "scottish" style league, and the introduction of a "overseas player" rule will come into effect, similar to cricket.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Just imagine if the sponsers changed to DIC, that would mean you'd have a squad of players running around with 'DIC' on the front of their strips

Oh dear
Old 05-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by AJ THE PF GOD
Just imagine if the sponsers changed to DIC, that would mean you'd have a squad of players running around with 'DIC' on the front of their strips

Oh dear
I reckon ManU will soon be sponsored by The Dyspraxia Foundation
Old 05-12-2006, 10:16 AM
stonehavencossie

As a pool fan this sounds to good to be true. Debts paid of, new ground !!

Bet theres a snag somewhere

As to hoping they dont become the next chelsea. I wouldnt say no to a few world class players.

Liverpool havent signed a world class player in donkeys and at last we can maybe see soem quality.

Gonzalez, bellamy, agger etc arent gonna win you the prem !!

As my gran says 'dont look a gift horse in the mouth !!'
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
Liverpool havent signed a world class player in donkeys and at last we can maybe see soem quality.
What about Crouch?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:28 AM
bud-weis
Football Cwazy

Originally Posted by stonehavencossie
As a pool fan this sounds to good to be true. Debts paid of, new ground !!

Bet theres a snag somewhere

As to hoping they dont become the next chelsea. I wouldnt say no to a few world class players.

Gonzalez, bellamy, agger etc arent gonna win you the prem !!

As my gran says 'dont look a gift horse in the mouth !!'
those two will not be going anywhere!!! they ARE quality!

i've been doing a bit of reading up about it,and to be honest it seems very good for all parties, LFC get loads of cash for the stadium,players etc.... DIC get the recognition of owning such an historic club as LFC,which in a few years will start to repay the initial outlay (big stadium receipts,worldwide royalties etc etc)

they aren't in it just to buy themselves a plaything,they are a legitimate money making business which has seen a good opportunity,there will be no debt from the buyout (unlike the Glazers £660m 'loan' )

the ONLY downside i can see is that LFC may lose some of the 'tradition' of the club,and it being much more like a business than a 'family' club??

exciting times none the less
Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 AM
stonehavencossie

didnt say they were going anywhere, jsut saying there not gonna win us the premiership, there not world class, bellamy will certainly never be !!!

Quick Reply: Liverpool FC takeover