General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

the bank mistake/trouble UPDATE result!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the money hasnt been given to egg yet, its sittin in my bank. orignal arrangement was i was gnna call him monday and give him my egg account details so he could get it all paid off for me. i just looked in a bookelt i got given about loan protection and it states that u only get a 38% refund if u decide to end loan protection up to third of the way into the loan. there must be a way round it.

what is all this ombudsman thing then? and is it pronounced om-buds-man, incase i go screaming it 2mora and dont even pronounce it correctly makin me look bloody stupid lol
Old 12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

man for fuck sake, thats what paresnts are for supporting you thru such difficulties

just bloody tell them
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Big AL
PassionFord Regular

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You say your copy doesn't have the protection box ticked on it, so show them that and you want a full refund, it's pronounced more like om-bedz-men.

If its a no go, get the refund, empty the account and pay egg half the money, then open a bank account elsewhere and use that account, then three months down the line visit the branch with a made up budget planner of your incomings and outgoings and say I can't afford to pay this loan but i can give you 50% back as full and final settlement. Ching ching you only owe half the money to egg now

Obviously this is just a random post and I cannot be held responsible should anybody wish to execute this pie in the sky idea.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:43 PM
MM_RACING
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hi EssexMikeSi

Hope the following helps:

http://www.fos.org.uk/default.htm

complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

0845 080 1800

The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London E14 9SR

You have PM
Old 12-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: the mistake that ruined the next couple yrs of my life

Originally Posted by EssexMikeSi
Yesterday i quite posssibly made the worst decision of my life. I have a egg loan from few months back that ive been happily paying off, the balance at present was £4317 left to pay. Also, from my days of being a skint student, my overdraft is at its maximum but i havent worried too much bout that coz its interest free for the next yr or so and i alwas knew if need be i could pay it back in someway. My account is with HSBC bank. Anyway, i get a phone call the other day from HSBC saying come in for a review, and that if i transfer my loan over to them they could make it better off for me. so i go in yesterday and the guy goes through it a little and says about my overdraft and i should pay it off. ok i thought yea. he then RUSHES me throught various paperwork etc and i must admit im not the brightest of people ever since i left college over a yr ago and dont have to use my brain in my jobs since. This is my mistake, i didnt really check through all the figures before signing. Anyway, i get home and cant help but feel summits not right so i look through the loan details and it works out hes given me a whole loan to pay off my egg loan plus my overdraft. this figure is £7608 or thereabouts!!!! £900 of that is payment protection against loss of job etc, which i didnt even ask for and swear he didnt point out to me how much it was etc etc.

so, if i had stayed with egg, i would of had £4300 roughly to pay off, then my £1500 overdraft making the total £5800. Now, im goin to be havin to pay £7600. It dont take much workin out to see im totally *&$£^ed up does it.

i just feel so sick all weekend since, i rung the guy up later that afternoon and he said u cant cancel like if i had done the loan over the net coz i signed in branch. He said hes gonna call me in the week to arrange me goin in again and talk bout it and see if they can help, but i know nothing can be done coz looking through the paperwork i read under cancelation that i have no right to cancel. i just dont know what to do, its ruined my life wheres he rung originally sayin they could make it better for me. Ive never felt so sick and just dont wana live anymore in my whole life, i just dont know what im goin to do.

im not writing this for attention or anything, i just wanted to share my experience and warn u all to be careful and jus wanted to tell some1 about it, coz one thing for sure, i can no way tell my parents what ive done.

anyone got any advice?? or experience with HSBC to give me any tips on how to remedy this fuck up
<< real tears
There would be inerest to pay on the loan, same as the interest to accumulate on the egg card,
Before you say youve been bummed work out the interest rates on both as I cant be arsed
Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Mr Sam

just remeber the bank manager is not your friend and if you cant pay for whatever in cash dont take a loan

hope you get it sorted out
Old 12-11-2006, 09:43 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

top advice there by Mr Sam

have you actually read the thread?!

anyways, good luck to ya and hope all goes well some excellent advice being given here imho, i've learnt quite a bit from this thread
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: the mistake that ruined the next couple yrs of my life

i just dont know what to do, its ruined my life wheres he rung originally sayin they could make it better for me. Ive never felt so sick and just dont wana live anymore in my whole life, i just dont know what im goin to do.

all that for £1800.....not really worth doing yoursef in for.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:54 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nah i know what ya mean dave, but trust me money is very tight for me of late and i had lots of other plans for the next couple yrs, and if i had stayed with egg my loan would have been finished by september 2008 but with hsbc it will run right until october 2009, plus must admit i didnt word it right there, i dont feel suicidle or anything lmao, just felt proper sick today before readin everyones great advice on here
Old 12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Katie

I can't see why you'd rush to pay off an interest free student overdraft....that's the one loan to keep as you won't ever get free money from the bank bar that...

Go back in, tell them how it is, don't leave until you get what you want. Better still if it's a big branch. Purely for customer relations they won't want some bastard moaning about something for ages.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mate if if makes you feel better you will be stung for more that 1800 quid a YEAR paying taxes

then when you finally move out theres the 1350 quid a year council tax,,,, then the vat on everything you buy

hell wheres that aplication for college gone

mate as shitty as it sounds,,,, its just 2k mate,,,,, ive lost more than 14k in the last months and im STILL LAUGHING, money is not your friend,,,, spend a few months living off 30 quid a week,,,,,, or worse just think of how your family would feel by you being dead,,,,, not to mention the poor bastards who haven family who have recently died,,,,,, my mate would pay 2k to spend 1 last day with his 15 year old sister who died 3 months ago

mark it down as a shite desision if you cant get it back and oearn from it

AND GET RID OFF ALL YOUR FUCKING CREDIT CARDS AS THEY ARE ALL THERE JUST TO FUCK YOU OVER MATE

the only loan worth getting is a loan for a live saving operation or a morgage to own a house to live in,,,,, other that that just save then when the cars nicked or the stereo dont work or if your dog chews your sofa up you wont then have all your spare cash going on a bit of shite you no longer have apart from bills for the next 5 years

good luck mate,,,,, theres people out there alot worse off,,,,,, hell i was fucking born ginger,,,,,, i managed to get through school AND get a bird with that handicap,,,,,,

rant over
Old 13-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

These are taken from the advice leaflet on your rights when buying credit DIRECTLY from the Office of Fair trading website not hearsay or assumption. Read the whole thing HERE it's enthralling.

Can you cancel your credit agreement?

Credit agreements signed at the trader's premises are not cancellable once both you and the finance company have signed the documents. At this stage they become legally binding on both parties.
You have arranged your own bank loan

Your bank has no responsibility for the quality of the goods. Your only claim if goods are faulty will be against the retailer under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), or under a guarantee or warranty issued with the goods.
If you were mis-sold the payment protection, the FSA will fuck them over for that so I'm positive you'll be able to at least get that money back.

If the Bank haven't signed their part of the loan you'll be able to cancel it.

Originally Posted by RichardPON
You sure about that Paddy?
Yes.
Old 13-11-2006, 08:53 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by focusv8
Isn't there a "cooling off" period where you can change your mind within 7 days? Check all your paperwork.

Prob not much help to you but we have cooling off periods on virtually anything including buying cars which vary from 7-30 days depending on the product.

Hope you get it sorted mate
Old 16-11-2006, 05:45 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

update for anyone who was readin this. got it all sorted now, big payment protection charge taken off, the interest has dropped massively and i even got some money back, duno how, but im not arguing lol

big thanks to everyone who gave me the advice and support. i owe u all a pint lol
Old 16-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good all was sorted

Btw, Ombudsman is one of a few swedish words that made into the english dictionary. The other one I can think of is Smorgasbord.
Old 16-11-2006, 05:51 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Did anyone at the bank offer any sort of apology for all the stress they caused you over the weekend?

Old 16-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by focusv8
Did anyone at the bank offer any sort of apology for all the stress they caused you over the weekend?

Don't be daft they probably charged him £20 for the priviledge of having their hassle
Old 16-11-2006, 05:57 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nah. get this. i couldnt even get through to the branch that dealt with me, so in the end i went to the branch that is more local to where i work and sorted it all there
Old 16-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you've sorted it and your happier about the situation
Old 16-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

big thanks to everyone who gave me the advice and support. i owe u all a pint lol
I didnt help, but can I have a pint as well?

Old 16-11-2006, 06:27 PM
MM_RACING

Well Done -
Old 16-11-2006, 10:55 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yea cheers for ya pm MM, im so glad its all sorted now. now my only worry at mo is gettin my turbo sorted out lol