General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

how reliable...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 AM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default how reliable...

are cossie engines?as compared to jap/german cars..saving up to get a cossie but so many peeps are turning to jap/german cars
any comments???
Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically if you look after a cossie engine and don't go daft every day then it should stay reliable
Old 07-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, if looked after, they as good as any other as standard, and when tuned, they better than most.

When tuned, for the power you got and the money you spent, they more reliable than most the equivalents, that mainly down to the fact you dont have to spend so much in the 1st place due to such strong std bits.

Remember AGE is an issue too, and most the stuff cossies get compared to are 5-10 years younger. Ie you couldnt expect your average 10yr old car to be as reliable as your average 20yr old one...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

as said if looked after and not silly horsepower they are fine.mine gets oil and coolant change every 3k and plugs and air filter clean every 6 mths.runs a genuine 350bhp and has 148k on the original engine,box,diffs,transfer box. its had 1 turbo and a driveshaft which aint bad considering ive had a good few trips to the pod.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the engines if they've been looked after - it's all the stuff around them.... wiring loom, hoses, ancillaries......

I broke down LOADS in my cossie when I first bought it, but it was split water hoses, or sensor failure, or wiring issues.

Spent a bit of money, changed everything around the engine for new where required, and ran the car for 3 years including silly amounts of trackdays etc without skipping a beat.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

havee had mine 4 years now .. only real thing that has gone wrong is the original turbo decided that 104000 miles and a few trackdays were too much or it .. decided to launch a turbine blade down the exhaust and jammed the wastegate shut ... on christmass eve and the water temp sender or the guages..

although the 3 loom plugs on the back of the engine bay now need removing and connecting properly so thats the next fault..

apart from that has been good as ... just wish i could say the same for the driver
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Had a few cossie's (good & bad)

But i had my esc cos for 5 years, running 330 bhp & only let me down once when my gearbox spat it's dummy out
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Eagle
havee had mine 4 years now .. only real thing that has gone wrong is the original turbo decided that 104000 miles and a few trackdays were too much or it .. decided to launch a turbine blade down the exhaust and jammed the wastegate shut ... on christmass eve and the water temp sender or the guages..

although the 3 loom plugs on the back of the engine bay now need removing and connecting properly so thats the next fault..

apart from that has been good as ... just wish i could say the same for the driver
oh thats a good point! i have one of them blocks that sometimes gives me shit under load.spray it with contact cleaner and away we go again.bit of a quick naughty fix must get it hard wired before shes back on the road.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NIL 7717
Originally Posted by Eagle

oh thats a good point! i have one of them blocks that sometimes gives me shit under load.spray it with contact cleaner and away we go again.bit of a quick naughty fix must get it hard wired before shes back on the road.
yeah been there too many times now getting bloody bored with it happening all the time ... espescially on a track day time to get the soldering iron and heat shrink tape out bloody 4x4's
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RichardPON
It's not the engines if they've been looked after - it's all the stuff around them.... wiring loom, hoses, ancillaries......

I broke down LOADS in my cossie when I first bought it, but it was split water hoses, or sensor failure, or wiring issues.

Spent a bit of money, changed everything around the engine for new where required, and ran the car for 3 years including silly amounts of trackdays etc without skipping a beat.
SPOT ON!!!

The basic cossie parts are SUPER STRONG! most failures are down to the OLD WORN OUT parts around the engine failing!!!!!

When modified the MAPPING IS SOOO IMPORTANT!!! as is the installation and wiring of the engine!!!!

Properly built , modified and maintained a Cossie lump is a FANTASTIC engine and very reliable in my opinion!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Eagle
shit design by ford.lets put plastic plugs with important wiring directly above a stinking hot engine oh well i know a man who can do mine cheap.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 AM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

cheeRS peeps for ur advice roll onto COSSIE POWER...