General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

mapping at northampton motorsports, map for running in or n

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mapping at northampton motorsports, map for running in or n

hi there,

im taking my zetec turbo to northmpton motorsports to get mapped on tuesday,
apparently because its a new engine they said they will map it for running in up to 4000 revs, so i can run it in for 1000 miles.

dident like the fact im already gona have to pay over 300+ for the mapping session , then will have to pay it again after 1000 miles

shame they couldent just map it normaly and of course i would take my time till its run in.

unless i ask them when it goes in, what you guys think ?

anyone had there new engine mapped by northampton motorsports? as someone told me to ask them to map it properly then just take ur time.

someone else also said take it out for a bit of a thrash on a country road
then change the oil

then just drive as you would normally till 1000 miles has passed and change the oil again .

anyone on here comment what i should do or comment about northampton motorsports?

thanks

thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id have a chat with Jamie @ Jamsport first 01604 755529
Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've used Northants Motorsport for a good few years now and have never been disappointed with the service.

Their rollers have broke my heart a couple of times.... like a fortnight ago, the Anglia was on their rollers nearly all day having the carbs set up and the ignition mapped and it made 178bhp..... and I wanted 180+ so they spent another couple of hours fooking about, fitted verniers etc... still only made 178bhp... down to the previous owner putting hydraulic lifters in an engine thats meant to have solid lifters and therefore the cam wasnt working properly.

One of their technicians, Chris Cooper, worked for Ford for some years and his training and experience it spot on.

As for your running in, they can run it in on the rollers as they often do that with race cars, but personally, if its a road car you have and you intend to keep it, then do your 1000 road miles.

I've found you only see the benefits of running in later in the engines life when its done a fair few thousand miles.

It shouldnt take too long to do your running in map but there is always an element of time involved it strapping the car down, fitting all the sensors on the engine etc ready to start the mapping process.

You will be there for the duration of the job so you can see exactly whats done and how long it all takes.

Good Luck !
Old 06-11-2006, 10:25 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

They cant map the car to its full potential as its a brand new engine and they wont rev it past 4k for this very reason.

Once the car is run in then they will be able to load the car more and do the high revs mapping.

Dont be put off by the cost as £5-600 for a map as this is about average.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 AM
rsguy
Regular Contributor

oh i see, so getting it mapped for just running in up to 1000 miles is the best option?

its ok as heard someone else say running in is not needed, its just another way of them getting more dosh for the 2nd session.

also has anyone had there car just setup for running i at 4000 revs ?
what the car will be like setup for running in, is it going to be like a snail?
are you on limited boost or somethink? as 4000 rpm dosent seem alot, then again i might be wrong.

sorry its my first mapping session so not sure what to expect. or what to do regarding either getting it setup for running in or full map.

im just thinking and i think they will set it up to what they thinks best as they they there onions not what the owner thinks.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rsguy
oh i see, so getting it mapped for just running in up to 1000 miles is the best option?

its ok as heard someone else say running in is not needed, its just another way of them getting more dosh for the 2nd session.

also has anyone had there car just setup for running i at 4000 revs ?
what the car will be like setup for running in, is it going to be like a snail?
are you on limited boost or somethink? as 4000 rpm dosent seem alot, then again i might be wrong.

sorry its my first mapping session so not sure what to expect. or what to do regarding either getting it setup for running in or full map.

im just thinking and i think they will set it up to what they thinks best as they they there onions not what the owner thinks.
does it really matter if its slow?

you're running it in, not competing down the local traffic light g.p.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:00 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Course its going to be slow.

You are running it in, surely you will be taking it easy and surely the person who built your engine will have told you that.

Trending Topics

Old 07-11-2006, 02:13 AM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

To map your car properly it will have to go to the limiter to ensure its fueling properly all the way through the rev range.

Now I dont know who told you this was some sort of scam to get more money out of you...

But you might want to ask them if they think its ok to rev a car to 7500rpm and hold it there when the engine is fresh out the box.

If they think it is... Then punch them squarely and firmly in the nuts and tell them never to give you advice again..... because they are a COCK !!!!

Trust the boys at Northants M'sport, they are the ones who do this day in day out for both competition and road people.

As Dan says... £500-600 for mapping is about average so no one is having your leg up.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by neilm

I've found you only see the benefits of running in later in the engines life when its done a fair few thousand miles.
If you are talking about oil consumption, thats absolute rubish.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

If your engine has been built correctly, they should be able to map your car and run it in all in one session.

If you pootle around for 1k you are more likely to end up with a low power engine that consumes oil.

By the time they have held it under load to map it at 4k your engine will be run in anyway.

Would someone please explain to me what the difference is between 4k and 6k when supposedly running in. Do you know how fast a piston is already travelling at 4k!!!

Most important thing is to warm the engine up, get some cylinder pressures to seal your rings and change the oil.